ID Sil Shelter Application

  • Vernon Deal
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2001
      I would like to apply to test the ID Sil Shelter.

      Background:

      Age - 39
      Hometown - Morgantown, WV
      Proposed test area - Appalachian Mountains of WV, mid state
      PA, or surrounding areas of OH or MD.
      Experience - I've been hiking all of my life and backpacking for
      the past 15 years. I've been all over the eastern US including WV,
      VA, KY, NC, TN & NH but mainly centered on West Virginia.

      I'm planning on two trips in mid October to the Cranberry
      Wilderness of WV and to mid-state PA. If available I could test
      there or if not a mid November trip, possibly to Shawnee State
      Forest in Ohio would be an initial test.

      I have used and own several shelters and would do a compare
      and contrast with them. Among the shelters I currently own are a
      Sierra Designs Nightwatch tent, Nomad Lite-n-Airy tent,
      Hennessy Ultralight Hammock and a Kelty Aero tent. I used to
      own a North Face Soloist Bivy, Kelty Noah's Tarp 9 and have
      used a Eureka Timberline tent.

      I would mostly compare the Silshelter to the other two ultralight
      shelters I use, namely the Hennessy and the Nomad however
      comparison to any of my shelters would be included especially
      to the Kelty tarp.

      During November in this part of the country the weather can be
      quite changeable with rain or snow one day and very warm
      sunny days the next. I believe this would allow me to quickly get a
      read on how the Silshelter will perform in varying weather
      conditions. I'm also interested in examing the issue of the
      overlapping doors and the problem people have posted about it
      and to see how I could remedy it.

      Thank you for your consideration for this test. I have read all of
      the tester requirements and will comply.

      Links to my other reviews follow:

      Macpac%20Ravine/Macpac%20Ravine%20review.htm

      CMG%20Bonfire%20Lantern/Vernon%20Deal/VDeal%20-
      %20CMG%20Bonfire%201st%20%26%202nd%20report.htm

      CMG%20Bonfire%20Lantern/Vernon%20Deal/bonfire3.htm

      Thanks.