Re: [BackpackGearTest] Owner Review- Kelty Clark Tent

  • Mara Factor
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
      Thanks for the report Larry... The folder is there now.

      Mara

    • JPF
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
        Here is my owner report on SEAMGRIPS's AquaMira water treatment product. If
        this format is acceptable, I'll gladly insert a report into a folder if one
        could created for this item.
        Thanks,

        Joel Ford
        ______________________
        Owner Review - AquaMira Water Treatment

        Reviewer: Joel Ford
        E-mail: jpf23235@...
        Age: 42
        Location: Richmond, Virginia
        Experience: I have been hiking, backpacking, & camping since childhood
        (over 30 years) I currently live near the Appalachian Trail and several
        National and State parks in the Blue Ridge area of Virginia. I have hiked
        and camped in many areas of the United States, and hiked a large portion of
        southern France in 1999. I enjoy regular outdoor adventures solo, with my
        wife, and with larger groups.

        Date of Test: September 29, 2001

        Product: AquaMira Water Treatment
        Manufacturer: SEAMGRIP (McNett Corporation) http://www.mcnett.com
        List Price: $12.00 - $14.00 ( I paid $13.50 at my local
        outfitter)

        AquaMira Water Treatment is a liquid water treatment that kills bacteria and
        improves the taste of water from treated or untreated sources. Unlike
        iodine-based treatments, such as Potable Aqua, AquaMira is marketed as
        having no "unpleasant taste or odor". AquaMira comes packaged as two
        separate 1oz. bottles and requires pre-mixing before adding to water. Part A
        is a 1oz bottle of Chlorine Dioxide (which contains no chlorine, by the way)
        and Part B is a 1oz bottle of Phosphoric acid "activator". The chemical
        reaction of the chlorine dioxide (Part A) and phosphoric acid (Part B) in
        AquaMira causes the water to oxygenate, which kills the baddies. AquaMira
        states this package will treat 120 liters (30 gals) of water A clear plastic
        box with a lid keeps the bottles and instructions together in one place.

        Field Test:

        I tested AquaMira on an early fall day-hike in the Shenandoah National
        Forest near Waynesboro, Virginia. My water was carried in a Camelbak water
        bladder carried inside my pack. The elevation was approx. 2800ft, weather
        was clear and cool. After about 6 miles of hiking, I stopped at a local
        spring near Calf Mountain Shelter. The spring was running slowly here, with
        less than a pencil width of very cold water coming out of the pipe. I filled
        the Camelbak with water from the spring and read the product instructions,
        which indicated that I needed to pre-mix 7 drops from each bottle. I
        estimated that the Camelbak contained about two quarts of water and premixed
        14 drops from each bottle in the included mixing cap. I then waited, as
        instructed, for five minutes before pouring the mixture into the water and
        then shook the Camelbak as directed to mix the contents. From start to
        finish, the entire process took me about 10 minutes, which included the 5
        minute wait. My water supply renewed and treated, I was now ready to resume
        my hike.

        Test Results:

        I have been a user of water filtration systems and iodine tablets for
        several years. I currently own a Pur Hiker filter, which is standard
        equipment on any of my hikes. AquaMira is initially attractive as an
        alternative to pumps and filters simply because it is smaller and lighter.
        On first glance, it also seems more cost effective, but that may be an
        illusion.

        I was impressed with the packaging of AquaMira and with its ease of use and
        simple directions. The plastic see-through container keeps both bottles
        together, is easy to identify, and is packs away in a very small area of
        your pack, a pocket, or fanny-pack. The simple directions are included as a
        paper card and on the bottle labels as well. The bottle labels appear to be
        plastic-coated and will probably stand up to being very wet. The included
        mixing cap is great and snaps securely on the top of either bottle, ensuring
        that it will be there next time you need it. AquaMira was also tasteless and
        odorless, as advertised. This was a pure pleasure. The treated water I drank
        tasted fresh, cold, crisp, and natural. Since I was not able to test for the
        actual existence of bacteria, I cannot say that AquaMira killed bacteria.

        This product is lightweight, apparently effective, and easy to use. However,
        there are a few downsides to AquaMira. First, there is the waiting period;
        at least 15 minutes after treatment, and 30 minutes if the water is cold.
        Since almost all spring water obtained in the wild is usually cold, you can
        bet you'll have to wait 30 minutes, as I did. Unfortunately, this meant that
        I was without water to drink during the ascent following the treatment. By
        the time I could drink, I was already on top (and quite thirsty, too).
        Another concern is treatment of water during foul weather. I suspect it
        could be difficult to mix 7 drops from each bottle in that thimble-sized cap
        during a howling wind and/or rain storm.

        The last concern was one of cost. I was curious about the cost effectiveness
        of AquaMira as compared to a filter, such as the Pur Hiker. Some quick
        computations show that AquaMira, is cheaper up front, compared to $60 for a
        Pur Hiker pump. However, after about 400 gals of water have been treated,
        the AquaMira actually starts costing more. 400 gallons is a lot of water.
        Unless you're a guide or someone else who spends a great deal of time in the
        outdoors, 400 gallons is probably more water than you'll pump in several
        years. Consequently, the long term cost differential is probably not
        significant enough to sway the decision of the average hiker/backpacker.

        Bottom line: AquaMira performs well and is an excellent water treatment
        alternative for the backpacker looking to cut weight and save pack space.
      • Mara Factor
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
          Joel,

          The group tested the Pristine brand of the same water treatment. If you
          look under the Pristine folder, you'll find a folder for non-tester comments
          and you can add your review there. You'll find one other review of the Aqua
          Mira brand in there already.

          Thanks for your review.

          Mara