Owner Review- Kelty Clark Tent

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
      Here is my owner report on the Kelty Clark low profile tent for one
      person. I will be glad to insert a report into a folder if one could
      be created for this item.
      Thanks,
      Larry Duke

      BACKPACK GEAR TEST OWNER REPORT

      ITEM: Kelty Clark One Man Tent
      Manufacturer: Kelty
      Website: www.kelty.com
      Telephone: 800-423-2320

      Tester: Larry Duke- Male, 165 lbs, 5'6" tall. Moderate experience

      Date: Original purchase- March 2001. Use Date: First long use
      September 8-15, 2001.

      Equipment: Used with a full pack including tent, sleeping bag, ground
      cloth, and stove.

      Location: Frank Church-River Of No Return Wilderness Area, Idaho

      Conditions: Clear and cool in the day and cold at night (25-35
      degrees). Minimum rain or snow.

      The Kelty Tent was also purchased from REI in Houston, Texas.
      They seem to have items on sale all the time, and even when not, the
      prices are competitive. The construction seemed very good. No damage
      when unpacked from REI. It's base weight is 3 lbs 3 ounces. With
      the carry bag I showed 2 more ounces.
      The tent came with directions on it's intended use and how to take
      care of it. They were clear and concise. It is a non-free standing
      tent which comes with two poles, eight stakes, guy string, and a
      rain fly. The fly covers the whole tent rather than just the top.
      It also has a vent at the entrance and zippered entrance.
      I opened up the bag immediately and looked at it's
      construction. It looked good. No frayed strings hanging or badly
      sewn stitches. When set up the seams come up off the ground to aid
      in waterproofing. I set it up according to the directions and was
      impressed at how easy it was and that it could be made very secure
      against the wind. The rain fly simply laid over the tent and the top
      vents and buckled into place. This made for a very fast
      installation. Very important when in a sudden rain storm. It had no-
      seeum netting on the very top for a vent and on the front entrance.
      This allowed for air to circulate and kept it from getting hot.
      There was also additional space at the front for gear. The tent poles
      were aluminum and set up with no trouble and with the stakes
      supplied, did a great job of keeping the tent stable.
      A friend of mine and I flew to Boise, Idaho and set out for some
      backpacking in the Frank Church. The trailhead was at the Crags
      Campground, about 55 miles out into the Wilderness from Challis,
      Idaho.
      The conditions were cool (65-75) in the day and 25-35 degrees at
      night. We camped at the 8-9,000 foot elevation for the duration of
      the hike. The first time I set it up, I was still excited about the
      ease of it.
      Used with my 3/4 length Thermarest it provided more than adequate
      room for the pad. As would be expected, it compacted down to a small
      size and was no trouble fitting inside my Kelty Red Cloud Pack. I
      packed the break-down poles rolled up in my Thermarest which allowed
      me to fit it inside my pack.
      Using the tent for a total of five nights and the lowest
      temperature of 25 degrees, it kept the wind off of me which helped
      keep me warm. It lightly rained and snowed the third night and the
      tent had no leaks. I did follow the instructions to seal the seams
      which could only help. The only problem I encountered, or at least in
      my opinion, was that it was difficult to get inside. This was
      especially true if putting your pack inside. Which, by the way,
      there was plenty of room for the pack and shoes, ect.. The zippers
      functioned good and allowed for one hand operation most of the time.

      Final impression on tent:
      After using it at the altitude and temperatures discussed, my
      impression is, that it was a good choice in tents but I think I would
      consider a two person dome next time. The reason being, ease of
      entry and plenty of storage after inside. The Kelty when filled with
      my sleeping pad and bag, the pack, clothes and shoes, still had
      plenty of room to maneuver while sleeping. The head room is a
      personal preference of mine. The Kelty lacks in head room.
      I would have no problem recommending this tent to others if the entry
      problem or head room is of no consequence.

      Personal Comments: This tent will keep a low profile which, I
      think, would make it a great choice in bad weather with high winds.
      I have not tested it in bad weather, but from my use of it, I will
      take it along if I think there will be stormy weather. I have no
      complaints about the tent and it's intended use. It wasn't designed
      for head room which is something that I did not take into
      consideration.
      Larry Duke
      Traveler0101@...
    • Mara Factor
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
        Thanks for the report Larry... The folder is there now.

        Mara

      • JPF
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
          Here is my owner report on SEAMGRIPS's AquaMira water treatment product. If
          this format is acceptable, I'll gladly insert a report into a folder if one
          could created for this item.
          Thanks,

          Joel Ford
          ______________________
          Owner Review - AquaMira Water Treatment

          Reviewer: Joel Ford
          E-mail: jpf23235@...
          Age: 42
          Location: Richmond, Virginia
          Experience: I have been hiking, backpacking, & camping since childhood
          (over 30 years) I currently live near the Appalachian Trail and several
          National and State parks in the Blue Ridge area of Virginia. I have hiked
          and camped in many areas of the United States, and hiked a large portion of
          southern France in 1999. I enjoy regular outdoor adventures solo, with my
          wife, and with larger groups.

          Date of Test: September 29, 2001

          Product: AquaMira Water Treatment
          Manufacturer: SEAMGRIP (McNett Corporation) http://www.mcnett.com
          List Price: $12.00 - $14.00 ( I paid $13.50 at my local
          outfitter)

          AquaMira Water Treatment is a liquid water treatment that kills bacteria and
          improves the taste of water from treated or untreated sources. Unlike
          iodine-based treatments, such as Potable Aqua, AquaMira is marketed as
          having no "unpleasant taste or odor". AquaMira comes packaged as two
          separate 1oz. bottles and requires pre-mixing before adding to water. Part A
          is a 1oz bottle of Chlorine Dioxide (which contains no chlorine, by the way)
          and Part B is a 1oz bottle of Phosphoric acid "activator". The chemical
          reaction of the chlorine dioxide (Part A) and phosphoric acid (Part B) in
          AquaMira causes the water to oxygenate, which kills the baddies. AquaMira
          states this package will treat 120 liters (30 gals) of water A clear plastic
          box with a lid keeps the bottles and instructions together in one place.

          Field Test:

          I tested AquaMira on an early fall day-hike in the Shenandoah National
          Forest near Waynesboro, Virginia. My water was carried in a Camelbak water
          bladder carried inside my pack. The elevation was approx. 2800ft, weather
          was clear and cool. After about 6 miles of hiking, I stopped at a local
          spring near Calf Mountain Shelter. The spring was running slowly here, with
          less than a pencil width of very cold water coming out of the pipe. I filled
          the Camelbak with water from the spring and read the product instructions,
          which indicated that I needed to pre-mix 7 drops from each bottle. I
          estimated that the Camelbak contained about two quarts of water and premixed
          14 drops from each bottle in the included mixing cap. I then waited, as
          instructed, for five minutes before pouring the mixture into the water and
          then shook the Camelbak as directed to mix the contents. From start to
          finish, the entire process took me about 10 minutes, which included the 5
          minute wait. My water supply renewed and treated, I was now ready to resume
          my hike.

          Test Results:

          I have been a user of water filtration systems and iodine tablets for
          several years. I currently own a Pur Hiker filter, which is standard
          equipment on any of my hikes. AquaMira is initially attractive as an
          alternative to pumps and filters simply because it is smaller and lighter.
          On first glance, it also seems more cost effective, but that may be an
          illusion.

          I was impressed with the packaging of AquaMira and with its ease of use and
          simple directions. The plastic see-through container keeps both bottles
          together, is easy to identify, and is packs away in a very small area of
          your pack, a pocket, or fanny-pack. The simple directions are included as a
          paper card and on the bottle labels as well. The bottle labels appear to be
          plastic-coated and will probably stand up to being very wet. The included
          mixing cap is great and snaps securely on the top of either bottle, ensuring
          that it will be there next time you need it. AquaMira was also tasteless and
          odorless, as advertised. This was a pure pleasure. The treated water I drank
          tasted fresh, cold, crisp, and natural. Since I was not able to test for the
          actual existence of bacteria, I cannot say that AquaMira killed bacteria.

          This product is lightweight, apparently effective, and easy to use. However,
          there are a few downsides to AquaMira. First, there is the waiting period;
          at least 15 minutes after treatment, and 30 minutes if the water is cold.
          Since almost all spring water obtained in the wild is usually cold, you can
          bet you'll have to wait 30 minutes, as I did. Unfortunately, this meant that
          I was without water to drink during the ascent following the treatment. By
          the time I could drink, I was already on top (and quite thirsty, too).
          Another concern is treatment of water during foul weather. I suspect it
          could be difficult to mix 7 drops from each bottle in that thimble-sized cap
          during a howling wind and/or rain storm.

          The last concern was one of cost. I was curious about the cost effectiveness
          of AquaMira as compared to a filter, such as the Pur Hiker. Some quick
          computations show that AquaMira, is cheaper up front, compared to $60 for a
          Pur Hiker pump. However, after about 400 gals of water have been treated,
          the AquaMira actually starts costing more. 400 gallons is a lot of water.
          Unless you're a guide or someone else who spends a great deal of time in the
          outdoors, 400 gallons is probably more water than you'll pump in several
          years. Consequently, the long term cost differential is probably not
          significant enough to sway the decision of the average hiker/backpacker.

          Bottom line: AquaMira performs well and is an excellent water treatment
          alternative for the backpacker looking to cut weight and save pack space.
        • Mara Factor
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
            Joel,

            The group tested the Pristine brand of the same water treatment. If you
            look under the Pristine folder, you'll find a folder for non-tester comments
            and you can add your review there. You'll find one other review of the Aqua
            Mira brand in there already.

            Thanks for your review.

            Mara