New test series

  • GearTester
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 24, 2001
      I'm going to be out of town for a week or so ( headed to North Cascades NP).
      I'm going to call for testers for 3 products so we will be ready to go when
      I get back.
      1.
      Integral Designs Sil Shelter
      http://www.integraldesigns.com/tarps-frame.htm will get you to the tarp
      section then click on the Sil Shelter for details.

      2.
      National Geographic TOPO! (Trails Illustrated) State series. The tester
      picks from the available states (one state only)
      http://www.trailsillustrated.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=15&CATID=35&ObjectGro
      up_ID=183 will get you to the available maps. Just click on the one you want
      for a short explanation.

      3.
      Rain Shield
      We have our choice of #1090 or #1122 (The 1090 is a bilaminate, while the
      1122 is a trilaminate)
      They can be seen at http://www.rainshield.com/catalog_boating.html

      Jerry

      Please note my new email address. MSN has absorbed Qwest's ISP customers,
      necessitating my new address. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    • Larry Hillberg
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 24, 2001
        I have the sil shelter and can write an owner's review if you like.
        Helen
      • GearTester
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 24, 2001
          Excellent. I'll put the folder for it up with the Non-Tester Comments folder
          in it. Please upload it there.

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 24, 2001
            Jerry,

            I would like to test and report on the Integral Designs SilShelter. I have
            read all the rules and requirements for being a gear tester and I promise
            to comply with all of them, namely submitting timely and complete gear
            reviews to the site.

            Posted reports are:

            Background:
            Roy P. Massena
            Spokane WA
            age: 50
            gender: male
            size: 6ft 0in, 175lb
            education: Masters in Engineering Sciences, Purdue University
            experience: 28 years of hiking, backpacking and mountaineering

            I would compare the ID SilShelter to the ID 5x8 tarp in both fall and
            winter conditions. My testing will be done in north Idaho
            and western Montana. One of the applications I would be sure to test is
            using the SilShelter as the roof of a snow trench. Trenches are easier and
            faster to make than snow caves, but covering the top is a bit of a
            problem. If he SilShelter can double as a lighter weight Megamid or
            Betamid, this would be very helpful to winter campers in snow country.

            Thank you for your consideration.

            Sincerely,
            Roy P. Massena

            P.S. I have also applied for the Equinox bivi.

            --------------
            Roy P. Massena, PO Box 8435, Spokane WA 99203
            (509) 744-0900
            ---------------
          • AsABat
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 24, 2001
              Application for Sil Shelter test.

              Bill Jeffrey
              San Diego County, California
              Age 43 Male, 6'4", 200#
              Backpacker over 30 years, Scout leader and backpack instructor for 12
              years.
              I hate being wet, and have tried various shelter combinations over
              the years. Condensation bothers me almost as much as being rained on.

              Proposed test location: Testing will be in foothills or desert of San
              Diego County. Conditions can include blustery wind and rain, or just
              strong wind. I will ensure at least one test in the rain, even if in
              my backyard. If this test runs into January or February I can take it
              to the snow at 7000' in the San Bernardino Mountains.

              Exposure: I also have two backpacking classes in November where I
              would demonstrate the product if received in time. One is for my
              scouts and the other an update for about 50 leaders. I have been
              asked to present my ultralight equipment at that session.

              Products for comparison: Several freestanding dome tents, Walrus Arch
              Rival, Kelty Microlite, Wanderlust Nomad (2-pound ultralight). I have
              tried many options in search of the ultimate, but still have been
              unsuccessful, although each of the above has served well for certain
              uses. I would like to see how the Sil Shelter fares with my 6'4". I
              propose trying its various pitching options to optimize room,
              ventilation, and weather protection.

              My tests so far:

              Official test:

              Seychelles Water Filter
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Water%
              20Treatment/Seychelle%20Water%20Filter/Bill%20Jeffery/

              Owner tests:

              New Balance 803 Shoes
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Footwear/New%
              20Balance%20803-4/AsABat803.htm

              GVP Gear G4 Backpack
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Packs/GVP%20G4%
              20Pack/Bill%20Jeffery%20/AsABatG4.htm

              Red Ledge Thunderlight Parka and Pants
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Rain%20Gear/Red%
              20Ledge%20Thunderlight%20/AsABatRedLedge.htm

              Marmot Arroyo Sleeping Bag
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Sleep%
              20Gear/Marmot%20Arroyo%20/AsABatArroyo.htm

              Test Monitor:

              Lowe Ophir Backpack

              I HAVE READ THE REQUIREMENTS FILE AND WILL COMPLY WITH THE REPORT
              REQUIREMENTS.

              Thank you for your consideration,
              Bill Jeffrey ("AsABat")
            • AsABat
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 24, 2001
                I've applied (separate from teh post) for the Sil Shelter test. I
                will also be submitting owner reviews for the Topo! products. I
                currently own (and use) the California state series (10 CDs - a map
                lover's dream!) as well as the San Diego County and Sequoia-Kings
                Canyon regions, along with the Topo!GPS USA add-in which I use with
                the Garmin II+ when geocaching (www.geocaching.com).

                Bill "AsABat" Jeffrey
              • woward@microrent.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 25, 2001
                  Jerry:

                  Please put my name in the hat to test the Nat'l Geographic TOPO!
                  software - California edition. I used a very early version of TOPT!
                  for the SF Bay Area, but have not seen the changes for 5 or 6 years.
                  I should be able to use the test software for my remaining fall
                  backpacking trips and for winter hiking in Northern California.

                  Here are the links to my owner reviews:

                  20Arcflex%20Terraplane%20/DanaArcFlexTerraplane.htm

                  20Slickrock%20Tent/SlickrockReview.htm

                  20Treatment/First%20Need%20Water%
                  20Purifier/FirstNeedReviewWithGraphic.htm

                  As always, I agree to play by the rules of the group.

                  Thanks,

                • woward@microrent.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 25, 2001
                    Jerry:

                    If you need testers, I'd be happy to try the Rain Shield #1122's,
                    size large. We are about to get into our heavy rainy season (at
                    least we hope so, to avoid another drought) so I should be able to
                    give them a pretty good workout over the next several months.

                    Here are the links to my owner reviews:

                    20Arcflex%20Terraplane%20/DanaArcFlexTerraplane.htm

                    20Slickrock%20Tent/SlickrockReview.htm

                    20Treatment/First%20Need%20Water%
                    20Purifier/FirstNeedReviewWithGraphic.htm

                    I've read and agree to the group's rules.

                    Regards,

                    Bill Ward

                  • hikemstr@AOL.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 25, 2001
                      Jerry,

                      I am very interested in applying for the I.D. Sil Shelter test.  As someone who is making positive progress in the transition to "ultralight", I would utilize this learning process in my evaluation of the tarp shelter in contrast with the Hennessey Hammock (level of protection, weight, set-up time, etc.), as a shelter above treeline and as an emergency shelter.  I have many years of traditional backpacking experience (both thru hiking and weekenders).  I am a 52 year old male of about 160 lbs.  Many of my trips are solo and are focused on New England with varied trips in ME, VT, NH, MA & CT.

                      I familiar with the requirements of being a tester and most certainly will comply with all reporting standards and "group" rules for testers.

                      Other reports submitted to date include:

                      Last Chance Sportswear
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Clothing/Last%20Chance%20Sportswear/Eugene%20Roddy%20/Report1and2.html

                      Big Agnes - Owner Report
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Sleep%20Gear/Big%20Agnes%20Cross%20Mountain/BACrossMountain.htm

                      Doc
                      hikemstr@...

                      Dr. Eugene A Roddy
                    • Larry
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 26, 2001
                        September 26, 2001

                        Jerry, I would like to apply for the 1090 #02 Rainsuit test. Before
                        I apply you need to know I have been accepted by you to test the
                        Equinox Bivy and if other testers are not availble I think the
                        rainsuit will compliment the bivy test as incliment weather here will
                        test both side by side. I have read and understand the rules for
                        testing and will abide by them. If for some reason I cannot submit
                        the proper reports in a timely manner, I agree to ship at my cost,
                        the test item(s) back to the supplier.
                        Larry Duke
                        5'6" tall at 160 lbs. I live in Southeast Texas. Moderate
                        backpacking experience. Some in other countries. Most recent was
                        the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho, for seven days in September,
                        2001.
                        I propose to test the item in the Big Bend National Park in South
                        Texas.
                        My other test item(s) and owner reports are at the URL's listed below.
                        Mt. Washington Foam Sleeping Pad Test
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Sleep%20Gear/Mt.%
                        20Washingt\on%20Foam%20Pad/

                        Owner Review: MSR Superfly Backpacking Stove
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Cook%20Gear/MSR%
                        20Super%20F\ly%20Stove/

                        Mountain Hardware Conduit SL Down +15 Sleeping Bag
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Sleep%
                        20Gear/Mountain%20Hardware%20Conduit%20SL%20/Sleeping%20Bag-MH%
                        20Conduit.htm

                        Thanks for the opportunity to be a tester in this group.
                        Larry Duke traveler0101@...

                        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "GearTester" <geartester@e...> wrote:

                        > I'm going to be out of town for a week or so ( headed to North
                        Cascades NP).
                        > I'm going to call for testers for 3 products so we will be ready to
                        go when
                        > I get back.
                        >

                        > 3.
                        > Rain Shield
                        > We have our choice of #1090 or #1122 (The 1090 is a bilaminate,
                        while the
                        > 1122 is a trilaminate)
                        > They can be seen at http://www.rainshield.com/catalog_boating.html
                        >
                        > Jerry
                        >

                        > Please note my new email address. MSN has absorbed Qwest's ISP
                        customers,
                        > necessitating my new address. Sorry for the inconvenience.
                      • Thomas Vickers
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 26, 2001
                          Larry,
                          Where in Southeast Texas do you live?

                          Thomas V.
                          Spring, TX
                        • Carlton Simmons
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 26, 2001
                            Jerry,
                            I would like to apply for the 1090 #02 Rainsuit test. I haven't
                            tested for a while (since the Pristine Water Treatment) because I
                            have been real busy at work. Things have lightened up and will have
                            time to be outdoors this fall. Also, I probably missed other recent
                            tester request but would be willing to test either the bivy or
                            shelter if testers are still needed. I am also working on cutting
                            down my pack weight and just recently built a backpacking stove from
                            soda cans that weighs 1.4oz and burns alcohol.

                            I will comply with all the tester requirements and report in a timely
                            manner.

                            Carl Simmons.

                            I am 5'11" tall at 200 lbs. I live in Central Indiana and spend a lot
                            of time in the outdoors. I belong to a local wilderness club and have
                            lead numberous trips. The last few years I have been section hiking
                            the AT as well as making trips to the BWCA. I also spend time in the
                            outdoors doing wilderness photography.
                          • GearTester
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 26, 2001
                              Please include the links to the two items you've reported on (the Pristine
                              series counts as ONE). If you need to post an Owner Report, you might want
                              to look over
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/5%20Basic%20Owner%20Rev
                              iew%20Requirements.htm . You also need to apply for each item you want to
                              test individually. Thanks and welcome back.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 26, 2001
                                Jerry,
                                I have only reported on the Pristine Water Purification System:
                                20Treatment/Pristine%20Water%20Purification%20/Carlton%20Simmons/

                                I'll need to post an owner report to meet the tester requirements.

                                Carl Simmons
                                --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "GearTester" <geartester@e...> wrote:
                                > Please include the links to the two items you've reported on (the
                                Pristine
                                > series counts as ONE). If you need to post an Owner Report, you
                                might want
                                > to look over
                                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/5%20Basic%
                                20Owner%20Rev
                                > iew%20Requirements.htm . You also need to apply for each item you
                                want to
                                > test individually. Thanks and welcome back.
                                > Jerry
                                >
                                > Please note my new email address. MSN has absorbed Qwest's ISP
                                customers,
                                > necessitating my new address. Sorry for the inconvenience.
                                comprehensive
                                > interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                              • Carlton Simmons
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 26, 2001
                                  Jerry,

                                  As far as owner reports, I can report on the Kelty External Frame
                                  West Coast backpack that I bought in the spring.

                                  Carl Simmons.

                                  --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Carlton Simmons" <simmonscarl@h...>

                                • GearTester
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 26, 2001
                                    That would be a good one.
                                    Jerry

                                    Please note my new email address. MSN has absorbed Qwest's ISP customers,
                                    necessitating my new address. Sorry for the inconvenience.

                                    As far as owner reports, I can report on the Kelty External Frame
                                    West Coast backpack that I bought in the spring.

                                    Carl Simmons.

                                    -
                                  • Adventure Alan
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 1, 2001
                                      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "GearTester" <geartester@e...> wrote:
                                      I'm going to be out of town for a week or so ( headed to North
                                      Cascades NP).

                                      Jerry here is my request for the following tests:

                                      1. Integral Designs Sil Shelter
                                      I already have one. If you wish, I would be willing to particpate in
                                      the test.

                                      2. National Geographic TOPO! (Trails Illustrated) State series. First
                                      choice: Mid-Atlantic. Working on some off trail trips for winter and
                                      this fall. Own a Garmin E-trex GPS unit with computer interface.
                                      Second choice: California. Working on planning sections of High off
                                      trail Sierra trips next summer as well as some off trail trips winter
                                      and early spring.

                                      3. Rain Shield
                                      Choice: O2 RainwearTM Multi-Use Suit Style #1090
                                      Looking to use this with a Montane Featherlite windshirt or Patagonia
                                      Velocity jacket as a complete ultralight wind/rain shell system. Also
                                      am an avid cylcist and can test this in some cold rainy high wind
                                      conditions.

                                      I HAVE READ THE TESTING REQUIREMENTS FILE AND WILL COMPLY WITH THE
                                      REPORT REQUIREMENTS.

                                      -Adventure Alan

                                      Gear Reviews:
                                      20Poles/Leki%20Ultralite%20Ti%20Poles/Alan%20Dixon/Leki_Final_2001.htm

                                      My website:
                                      http://www.webpak.net/~aedixon/

                                      Managing Editor of the last issue of BackPackingLight.com:
                                      http://www.backpackinglight.com/

                                      Have a digital camera and will include pictures with my reviews. See
                                      report above.

                                      -Alan
                                    • GearTester
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 7, 2001
                                        Alan, you need to post one more review to qualify. I'd love to include
                                        you but you've only posted one report.
                                        Jerry