Tubbs Pinnacle Snow Shoe Initial Report

  • leesa04048
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      Here it is again- Yahooisms and all...

      Tubbs Pinnacle Snow Shoe
      Initial Report
      2/23/04

      Personal Information:

      Leesa Joiner
      ljoATmidmaine(dot)com
      Southwestern Maine
      41 years old
      Female
      5'7" (1.7 M)
      150 lb (68 kg)

      Background:

      My camping, hiking and backpacking experience has included trips
      varying in length from one day hikes, to 2-week trips. My experience
      hiking began with my father, when I was about 6 years old. We hiked
      along the river pathways in northeastern Ohio and western
      Pennsylvania. During cold weather, I backpack, hike, snow shoe,
      cross-country ski, go ice fishing and winter camp with friends and
      family. Although I am not a lightweight backpacker, I am trying to
      `lighten up' and even have converted to using a hammock while camping.
      I find that I spend almost as much time outside during the long
      Maine winters as I do during the summers.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Tubbs
      Product: Pinnacle snowshoes
      Year of manufacture: 2003

      Model: Pinnacle 25.
      Size: 8 in x 25 in (20 cm x 63.5 cm)
      Listed weight: 4.0 lb (1.8 kg)
      Weight as measured: 4.3 lb (1.8 kg).

      Initial Impressions:

      I received the snow shoes from another tester who was unable to
      complete the test. They arrived in like new condition, without any
      tags or printed information. The snow shoes have a Rental ID Number
      stamped on them. The webbing is red and gray plastic that is
      attached with rivets. The webbing is textured, which is most likely
      a traction aid. The aluminum frame is an oval design, with the front
      being turned up slightly. This design is advertised for day
      hiking/all terrain use. The bindings are very different than any I
      have used before. I was able to slip my foot into the binding and
      then just snap the clip that is at the top, front of the foot.
      Another adjustment is made at the back of the ankle secures the snow
      shoe. I found them extremely easy and quick to adjust. The traction
      system consists of a claw like device on the bottom of the foot area.
      There are metal prongs arranged in a circle, located under the ball of
      the foot. It is advertised on the web site as the 'Viper' - the
      most aggressive traction system for vertical climbs and steep icy
      pitches. It does look very aggressive. The whole foot area pivots
      quite a bit, from the 'rotating toe cord'. Hopefully this will aid in
      manueverability.

      I found the snow shoe to be as advertised on the web site. The web
      site contains quite a bit of information about Tubbs products and
      information that helps a customer select the right snow shoe for
      their conditions.

      Pros

      Easy to put on and adjust
      Grips well in icy/crusty snow conditions

      Light enough to wear for extended periods of time

      Cons
      No information provided with shipment

      Test Plan:

      I have a couple of weekend snow shoeing trips planned, as
      well as a weekend trip camping with my two sons' Boy Scout troop
      during their Klondike Derby. I will also be going to Vermont for a
      long weekend in March. Our temperatures will fluctuate between -10
      and 30 F (-23 and -1 C) over the next few months. During the test
      period, I will be participating in numerous hikes that involve the use
      of snow shoes. Because I have easy access to a local wildlife
      management area that also has miles of snow mobile trails, I put on
      snow shoes a couple times a week and take off for an hour or two.
      The trips will range from single day to four day trips. All will be
      in western Maine, and northern New Hampshire and Vermont. Because I
      have easy access to a local wildlife management area that also has
      miles of snow mobile trails, I put on snow shoes a couple times a week
      and take off for an hour or two. After the first of the year, ice
      fishing season begins, and I will spend many weekends walking on
      frozen lakes checking fish traps with my children. Over the next 6
      months our weather conditions will range from the current day
      temperatures of 20-30 F to -20 F (-6- 1 C to -29 C) with rain and
      snow. Most of my outings are done at elevations below 3000 ft. (914 M)
      on various types of terrain.
      I look forward to testing these snow shoes. I will be looking at
      how comfortable they are when worn for extended periods, their
      durability and how well they perform in different snow conditions.
      Of interest is how the 'claw' works in icy conditions- will the icy
      snow build up inside the metal prongs? Another question I have about
      the snow shoes is how well the bindings work over long distances. I
      would hope they would retain their settings without frequent adjustments.
    • Michael Wheiler
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
        Hi Leesa. Thanks for reposting your IR. Sounds like you'll put these
        snowshoes through the paces. My comments, edits and suggestions follow:

        First, according to my dictionary, the correct spelling is "snowshoe" and
        "snowmobile." There are multiple places in the report where you have the
        spelling as snow shoe, snow shoes, snow shoeing, and snow mobile.

        > Background:
        >
        > My camping, hiking and backpacking experience has included trips
        > varying in length from one day hikes, to 2-week trips.

        Suggestion only: "from one day hikes to 2-week trips." I try really hard
        not to comment on the use of commas but sometimes I just can't help myself.
        Feel free to ignore. Sorry.

        My experience
        > hiking began with my father, when I was about 6 years old.

        Suggestion only: "hiking with my father when I was about." I try really
        hard not to comment on the use of commas but sometimes I just can't help
        myself. Feel free to ignore. Sorry.

        > Model: Pinnacle 25.
        > Size: 8 in x 25 in (20 cm x 63.5 cm)
        > Listed weight: 4.0 lb (1.8 kg)
        > Weight as measured: 4.3 lb (1.8 kg).

        Two of the above lines end in periods and two do not. I have no
        preference in how you end them but it should probably should be the same.
        The aluminum frame is an oval design, with the front
        > being turned up slightly.

        Suggestion only: "The aluminum frame is an oval design with the
        front...." I do try really hard not to comment on the use of commas but
        sometimes I just can't help myself. Feel free to ignore. Sorry.

        > Another adjustment is made at the back of the ankle secures the snow
        > shoe.

        "Another adjustment made at the back of the ankle secures the snowshoe."
        The "is" appears to be extra or you can leave it in and say "to secure the
        snowshoe."

        The whole foot area pivots quite a bit, from the 'rotating toe cord'.

        Suggestion only: "pivots quite a bit from the...." I really do try hard
        not to comment on the use of commas but sometimes I just can't help myself.
        Feel free to ignore. Sorry.

        The web site contains quite a bit of information about Tubbs

        I think it should probably be "Tubbs' products."

        products and information that helps a customer select the right snow shoe
        for
        their conditions.

        I think for consistency purposes you should consider using singular or
        plural, i.e., "helps a customer select the right snowshoe for his or her
        conditions" or "helps customers select the right snowshoe for their
        conditions." I'm not exactly sure what conditions you are referencing here
        either (physical, weather, geographical).

        > Cons
        > No information provided with shipment

        Question: Did the previous tester have written materials?

        Because I
        > have easy access to a local wildlife management area that also has
        > miles of snow mobile trails, I put on snow shoes a couple times a week
        > and take off for an hour or two.

        Consider deleting this sentence as it is a repeat of an earlier very
        similar sentence in the same paragraph.

        Otherwise well done! Make whatever changes you deem appropriate and
        upload when ready. Thank you for taking over on this test series.

        Mike
      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2004
          At 01:28 PM 05/03/2004, you wrote:

          <snip>

          > Suggestion only: "from one day hikes to 2-week trips." I try really hard
          >not to comment on the use of commas but sometimes I just can't help myself.
          >Feel free to ignore. Sorry.

          Hi Michael

          Are you sure you are really trying hard? ... :-)

          Andrew

          reviews and tests on the planet

        • Michael Wheiler
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2004
            Alright, maybe I could try just a little harder!

            Mike

            > > Suggestion only: "from one day hikes to 2-week trips." I try
            really hard
            > >not to comment on the use of commas but sometimes I just can't help
            myself.
            > >Feel free to ignore. Sorry.
            >
            > Hi Michael
            >
            > Are you sure you are really trying hard? ... :-)
            >
            > Andrew
          • Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2004
              > Alright, maybe I could try just a little harder!

              Can I recommend a semicolon there?

              Shane
            • Rick
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2004
                Shane Steinkamp wrote:

                >> Alright, maybe I could try just a little harder!
                >>

                >Can I recommend a semicolon there?
                >
                >Shane

                Or a plastic bowel?
                (If you don't get it, don't worry.)
                Well, if you worry, then search the archive for "plastic bowel"...

                Rick