EDIT:OWNER REVIEW:Tarptent Squall:David McBride

  • graham blamey
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hi David,
      Thanks for your Owner Review. This is a good first Owner Review and you have
      most things in place and some good observations. Please find below my edit
      comments on your
      Review. Please take these comments in the spirit that they are
      intended. They are given in my role as Edit Moderator and they are
      here to assist you in the process of meeting the expectations of
      BackpackGearTest.org and assisting you in becoming a BackpackGearTest.org
      official tester.

      I appreciate that they may seem daunting and harsh at times. There is no
      criticism implied, that is not
      the intention, it is the nature of the task and the communication medium.

      Once you have worked through these edits, please repost with REPOST in the
      subject line.
      Graham Blamey,
      BGT Edit Moderator

      > Name: David McBride
      > Age: 36
      > Gender: Male
      > Height: 5'11" (1.8 meters)
      > Weight: 185 pounds (84 kilograms)

      ### you might like to use abbreviations here, as you do throughout the
      remainder of your review m=meters, lb=pounds, kg=kilograms

      >Product Information

      ###as well as weights, you should give a some dimensions, length, width, etc

      > with the exception of a summer trip to the Rockies, is in Southeast
      > and Central Texas, (when I'm out from mid-October to late April),

      ### unless these are geographical names, rather than locations, should be
      '...south east and central...'

      > The two-person Squall is one of three TarpTent products from Henry

      ### should be '...Tarptent...'

      > It comes in one color (gray) and with four titanium stakes, two
      > aluminum poles.

      ### this would read better if written '...in one colour (gray), with four
      titanium stakes and two aluminum poles....'

      A retractable front beak extends about a foot over the
      > front middle guy line. Guy lines are made of reflective spectra cord

      ### should be '...Spectra cord...' as it's a brand name reg. to Bozeman
      Mountain Works

      > The tent arrived quickly and in good order. Listed weight is 30oz.
      > (850 grams). Actual weight was 30.4 oz. (862 grams). Total price was
      > $218 ($180 for the tent itself, $25 for the optional sewn-in floor and
      > $13 for shipping and handling).

      ### we normally only like the MSRP of a product, but as this seems to be
      something where the price depends upon what options are chosen, I think
      this will be OK

      > To date, the Squall has accompanied me on four backpacking excursions
      > (five nights total) and one car camping trip. It has experienced
      > nighttime temperatures from upwards of 70F to a few clicks below

      ### need metric for 70 F (21 C) (but not for 'clicks' :)

      > It will be interesting to see how the Squall performs over an extended
      > backpacking lifetime. It will make a trip to Colorado's Sangre de
      > Christo Mountains this summer where I should be out for at least three
      > nights.

      ### this passage should be at the end of your review, as it concerns future
      plans

      > Customer Service:
      > What a world this would be if every company had Henry Shires'
      > dedication to customer service and satisfaction. His e-mail
      > communications were assiduous. The Squall was even shipped to me
      > before my money order arrived. Rare is it to find someone so eager to
      > stand behind his products and so willing to use trust as the central
      > paradigm of his business dealings.

      ### although customer service is very important, putting this here
      interrupts the flow of your review which is about the performance of the
      product. This section should be at the end

      > Setup:
      > Initially, the Squall wasn't as easy to erect as I'd hoped,
      > although I attribute this mostly to my general mechanical ineptitude.
      > Still, it would have been nice to have pictures in the instruction
      > sheet to detail each step of the process. After a few struggles,
      > however, I've mastered the art and setup never takes more than a
      > couple of minutes.

      ### perhaps you could briefly describe the nature of the difficulties you
      encountered

      > Waterproofness:
      > I've seen two nights of rain in my Squall travels, although
      > neither was very vigorous. Nary a drop from the outside found its way
      > into the tent.
      >
      > Condensation:
      > This has been an issue, as it is with any single wall tent. Of my six
      > nights out with the Squall, three have seen condensation and three
      > have not. Surprisingly, on the hottest and most humid of backpacking
      > nights, the low temperature barely inching below 70F and with three of
      > us crammed inside, not a drop of condensation formed.

      ### this would read better if you wrote it '...backpacking nights (the low
      temperature......crammed inside), not a....'
      ### need metric for '...70 F...'

      > Only once has my bag gotten wet, and, even then, only minimally. But
      > you can blame that more on a ten year old who kept rolling over and
      > pushing me against the wet walls.

      ### you need to keep this in the first person, so '...But I blame that....'

      > As for its long-term
      > durability, the jury is still out, but past performance bodes well for
      > future results.

      ### this might read better as '...but the performance so far bodes well...'

      > Space/Comfort:
      > Exceptionally roomy for a two person tent. As I've mentioned
      > before, it's held three in a pinch. Not much in the way of
      > headroom, but you can use your trekking pole in lieu of the standard
      > front pole (as I do) to save weight and allow for more vertical space.

      ### keep this in the first person, so '...but it's possible to use a
      trekking...'

      > Still, there have been tradeoffs: the higher clearance makes it harder
      > to keep the mesh tucked fully under the floor. So I imagine this is
      > not the kind of tent you'd want to weather a three-day storm in.

      ### you need to keep this in the first person. We want your experience based
      on your use of the tent and the reader can judge for themselves how it
      relates to them. How do *you* feel about weathering a 3 day storm in it, and
      why?

      > Mesh is used liberally throughout, so the Squall vents very well, but
      > in high winds, wind-chill can be an issue. In fact, on the windiest
      > night, with the temperature straining the comfort level of my sleeping
      > bag, the breeze kept me colder than I might have been in a more
      > contained environment.
      >
      > Storage:
      > I've heard a number of complaints about the narrow, elongated
      > stuff sack. To my way of thinking, it's the ideal size and shape.
      > It fits perfectly inside a rolled-up RidgeRest, saving valuable pack
      > space.

      ### which stuff sack is this? I don't believe you've mentioned a stuff sack
      yet, so a few details wouldn't come amiss :)

      ---