REPOST 2: Insul Mat Max-Thermo GG

  • George G
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 29, 2004
      Initial Report Pacific Outdoor Equipment Max-Thermo Sleeping Pad

      Personal Biography

      Name: George Griffin
      Age: 42
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 7" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 205 lb (93 kg)
      Email: ggriff(at)talk21(dot)com
      City: London U.K
      Date: 29 February 2004

      Backpacking Background

      I have been backpacking since 1986. Mainly in the Peak District, Lake
      District, Wales and Southern England. I am also the London liaison
      member for the Backpackers Club. In the early days I backpacked solo
      but in recent years I have backpacked with two friends. Most of my
      trips are from September through to May, I normally get four 4+ day
      trips in that time, plus the occasional weekend.

      Terrain and elevation on these trips can be anything from coastal paths
      to mountains, sea level to 3,000-ft (914 m). Temperatures ranges from -5
      C to 23 C (23 F to 75 F).

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Insul Mat
      Year of manufacture: 2004
      Website: www.pacoutdoor.com

      Manufacturer`s Weight: 23 oz (650 g)
      Measured Weight: 24.6 oz (700 g)
      Colour: Red (top)/Black (bottom)

      From the swing tag

      "The Max-Thermo has a stout 70D nylon bottom, and a light 50D diamond ripstop top. What sets it apart is the dose of synthetic fill insulation we have inserted into the tubes, giving it true 3-season insulation."

      Arrival

      The day before the pad was delivered, UPS phoned to say that the package would be arriving the following day. They gave an a.m. delivery time but the package didn't actually arrive until 4 p.m. (I`ve included this as it is unusual for a courier company to phone and let you know when they are delivering).

      The pad arrived in a long box; I expected it to take up the whole box but upon opening the pad was in its stuff sack and took up less than half the box. Apart from a small amount of packing the pad was the only thing inside the box, (the invoices were attached to the outside of the box).

      First Impressions

      Contents

      Sleeping Pad
      Repair Kit
      Stuff Sack
      Swing tag attached to the drawstring on the stuff sack

      The swing tag is actually a 12 page booklet in four different languages (English, German, Italian, & French) with instructions on how to inflate/deflate the pad. It also contains the lifetime warranty.

      The stuff sack

      The stuff sack is a nylon bag with a drawstring and a plastic cordlock toggle, it also has a pocket in the bottom which contains the repair kit.

      Repair kit

      The repair kit consists of two pieces of material, one for the top and one for the bottom of the pad. These are about 4 in square (10 cm), a tube of Mat-Fix A glue and the instructions on how to repair the pad; this is all contained in a little plastic ziplock bag.

      Sleeping pad

      After looking at the website; I was expecting a sleeping pad that was much bigger that it actual was. I knew it would look like a lilo but I was surprised how tough it looked; I was excepting something more flimsy and not constructed as well as it is.

      I was surprised at how small this was packed, I did expect it to be a much bulkier item. The pad was folded and rolled inside the stuff sack on arrival and measured 10 in x 5 1/2 in (25 cm x 14 cm). I removed the pad from the stuff sack and unfolded it, my first concern was would I be able to fold it back up small enough to fit back in the sack (more on this later).

      A check of the valve and seams showed no sign of defect and the pad was in good order.

      I unrolled the pad and was greeted with a mummy shaped pad; red on the top and black underneath with a plastic valve in one of the top corners, on closer inspection the valve is actually brass with a plastic cover.

      The pad measures 72 x 20 x 2 1/2 in (183 x 51 x 6.3 cm) when inflated; the first two dimensions are the same when the pad is deflated but the last one is roughly 1/8 in (3 mm). This is a manually inflated pad which means `you blow it up`, I did think that it would take some time to inflate but it inflates quite quickly in about 2-3 minutes, 20-30 normal breaths.

      The pad is made from two different weights of nylon 70D for the bottom and a lighter 50D ripstop for the top. The pad is made up of six interlinked tubes; only four run the full length of the pad, the other two give the width at the shoulders.

      The synthetic fill feels like it is attached to the top of the pad and also has a sponge-like feel to it and this helps to give it warmth.

      "It is most comfortable and you slip less when the mat is not filled to trampoline like firmness"

      When air is blown into the valve it gradually circulates to all of the tubes and inflates the pad.

      The air inside the tubes can move around as you shift your body weight, different parts of your body get pushed up so when you lean on an elbow the air gets pushed down to your feet and you find them being raised.

      Weight distribution plays a part in deciding if the pad is correctly inflated. When laying on the pad the weight is spread evenly and the air inside the tubes support you but if you sit on the pad the weight is all in one area and this forces the air into the areas where there is no weight and you can find yourself sitting on the floor.

      Getting the pad inflated correctly is a bit hit and miss at present; too much and you are sitting on top, not enough and you are sitting on the floor. This is something that needs to be looked at more closely.

      As yet, I haven't found the optimum pressure, it has either been too hard or too soft but I will look to see if this can be easily accomplished.

      Deflating the pad is simple, undo the valve and roll the pad up to expel the air. The instructions say you may need to do this twice but I find that once gets enough air out to be able to fold it up and get it back into the stuff sack with ease.

      Test Plan

      I will be taking this pad with me next week on a three day backpacking trip on the South Downs. I will also be using it on a six/seven day backpacking trip in May as yet destination undecided but somewhere in Southern England plus the odd weekend camping.

      Things I will be looking for

      How easy it will be to get the correct pressure in the mat for sleeping on a constant basis.
      How warm it keeps you in cold temperatures.
      The durability of the pad over an extended period.
      The comfort level, will I find myself slipping off the pad? Will I find my feet continually slipping off the thinner end of the pad?
      Is it possible to use the pad as support in a G4?

      The G4 is a lightweight rucsack designed by Glen Van Peski; which needs a sleeping pad sloted in the back to give the pack support.

      ---

    • tcoug7
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
        Perfecto George, except what's a "lilo"?

        Tim

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "George G" <ggriff@t...>
        wrote:
        > Initial Report Pacific Outdoor Equipment Max-Thermo Sleeping Pad
        > After looking at the website; I was expecting a sleeping pad that
        was much bigger that it actual was. I knew it would look like a lilo
        but I was surprised how tough it looked; I was excepting something
        more flimsy and not constructed as well as it is.
      • Graham Blamey
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "tcoug7" <tcoug7@y...> wrote:

          > Perfecto George, except what's a "lilo"?
          >
          > Tim
          >
          > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "George G" <ggriff@t...>
          > wrote:
          > > Initial Report Pacific Outdoor Equipment Max-Thermo Sleeping Pad
          > > After looking at the website; I was expecting a sleeping pad that
          > was much bigger that it actual was. I knew it would look like a
          lilo
          > but I was surprised how tough it looked; I was excepting something
          > more flimsy and not constructed as well as it is.

          I'll leave lilo to Geo. :) but wasn't he 'expecting' something ?
        • George G
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
            Lilo; inflatable rubber mattress :)

            Geo

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Blamey" <gg@h...>
              wrote:
              > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "tcoug7" <tcoug7@y...>
              wrote:

              > > Perfecto George, except what's a "lilo"?
              > >
              > > Tim
              > >
              > > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "George G" <ggriff@t...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > Initial Report Pacific Outdoor Equipment Max-Thermo Sleeping Pad
              > > > After looking at the website; I was expecting a sleeping pad
              that
              > > was much bigger that it actual was. I knew it would look like a
              > lilo
              > > but I was surprised how tough it looked; I was excepting
              something
              > > more flimsy and not constructed as well as it is.

              Ok, now I know a lilo is a rubber raft, but I'm missing your point as
              far as him "expecting" something. This is George's way of responding
              to Jerry's request for the testers to comment on the product vs their
              expectations based on the website. It looks good to me...except for
              the fact that I first thought he wrote libido, which *really* had me
              confused... ;)

              Tim

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                Hi Tim

                I had expecting as excepting, I think thats what Graham was trying to
                say.
                Geo

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                  wrote:
                  > Hi Tim
                  >
                  > I had expecting as excepting, I think thats what Graham was trying
                  > say.

                  Thanks, I didn't even notice it!!

                  Tim
                • Andrew Priest
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                    At 12:58 AM 02/03/2004, you wrote:
                    >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "tcoug7" <tcoug7@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    >I'll leave lilo to Geo. :)

                    Its a floating device :-)

                    Andrew

                    reviews and tests on the planet

                  • Andrew Priest
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                      At 02:57 AM 02/03/2004, you wrote:
                      >Lilo; inflatable rubber mattress :)

                      Or vinyl (plastic). Very popular for floating down gorges and canyons
                      (rivers) in summer. Also very popular in pools down here. Also used as beds.