Opportunity

  • GearTester
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 21 8:34 AM
      We've had complaints in the past that people didn't apply for gear tests
      because they felt they had no chance to be selected. So far, one person as
      applied for the Equinox Ultra Lite Bivy. If you apply now, with a proper
      application, I'd say your chances of being selected are 100%.
      Jerry

      Please note my new email address. MSN has absorbed Qwest's ISP customers,
      necessitating my new address. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 21 9:03 AM
        If I can get a review done on a piece of gear that I have hiked with today,
        then I will apply.

        TV
        Who is still writing :)

        ____
      • hikemstr@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 21 9:08 AM
          Thanks for the reassurance for repeat testers.

          I am very interested in applying for the Ultralight Bivy test.  As someone who is making positive progress in the transition to "ultralight", I would utilize this learning process in my evaluation of the bivy sack under the stars, under a tarp and as a emergency shelter.  I have many years of traditional backpacking experience (both thru hiking and weekenders).  I am a 52 year old male of about 160 lbs.  Many of my trips are solo and are focused on New England with varied trips in ME, VT, NH, MA & CT.

          I familiar with the requirements of being a tester and most certainly will comply with all reporting standards.

          Other reports submitted to date include:

          Last Chance Sportswear
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Clothing/Last%20Chance%20Sportswear/Eugene%20Roddy%20/Report1and2.html

          Big Agnes - Owner Report
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Sleep%20Gear/Big%20Agnes%20Cross%20Mountain/BACrossMountain.htm

          Doc
          hikemstr@...

          Dr. Eugene A Roddy
        • JONES, PHILIP T
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 21 9:33 AM
            Here is a picture of the bivy for those that are interested.

            http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bivydetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=EQ
            3000

            > We've had complaints in the past that people didn't apply for
            > gear tests because they felt they had no chance to be
            > selected. So far, one person as applied for the Equinox Ultra
            > Lite Bivy. If you apply now, with a proper application, I'd
            > say your chances of being selected are 100%.
            > Jerry
            >
            > Please note my new email address. MSN has absorbed Qwest's
            > ISP customers, necessitating my new address. Sorry for the
            > inconvenience.

          • GearTester
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 21 9:58 AM
              Thanks for the link...great picture!\Jerry

              Please note my new email address. MSN has absorbed Qwest's ISP customers,
              necessitating my new address. Sorry for the inconvenience.

            • Larry Hillberg
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 21 10:26 AM
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 21 2:00 PM
                  Personal data:
                  Gordon Price
                  Portland, Oregon
                  Male, age 34, 5'-7", 185#
                  Mostly week-end trips, as well as day hiking whenever possible. My
                  goal is to be able to do 1-2 week solo trips by next year, and
                  perhaps attempt the PCT from Mt. Shasta to Mt. Rainier the following
                  year. I have adopted the light weight approach, and use a Hennessy
                  Hammock, GVP G4 pack, SnowPeak GigaPower stove, etc. Having a super
                  light bivy for emergencies and those situations where no trees are
                  available would be very nice.

                  I am currently doing the Frogg Toggs testing, but I will put my name
                  forward as a last option if more testers are needed. Jerry, if you
                  end up picking me, then someone else not already testing comes along
                  late, please don't hesitate to drop me in favor of the other.

                  For the purposes of testing, most would be done locally here in the
                  Portland area, as well as perhaps some longer trips at low elevations
                  during the winter.
                  I also have a 3 day trip in the Columbia Gorge planned for October.
                  The bivy could tested there as well. My hope is that there would be
                  some rain as A: we need some, bad! and B: I don't want to actually
                  test the Frogg Toggs standing in the shower ;)

                  Reports:
                  Hennessy Hammock Original
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Shelters/Hennessy
                  %20Original%20/Hennessy_Hammock_report_by_Gordon_Price.htm

                  GVP Gear G4
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Packs/GVP%20G4%
                  20Pack/Gordon%20Price/G4.htm

                  As required, I have read and understood the report requirements, and
                  will provide reports as indicated.

                  Regards,
                  Gordon Price
                • cstarnes@nehp.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 21 10:00 PM
                    I thought about that myself but sience I have had my Hennessy Hammock
                    I have not felt the need to carry my Early Winters Gore-Tex Bivy. If
                    I lived and camped in an area where trees were a problem as in either
                    lack of or too big I would take the Bivy instead of the hammock.
                    However If I were getting to much rain inside my hammock like some of
                    the Safari testers indicated a lightweight biby might be an ideal
                    solution. As it stands I will skip testing the Bivy becaus I dont
                    fell I would use it afterward.

                    Coy Boy

                    > Seems like a great opportunity for hammock owners to test another
                    bivy
                    > without spending their own money. I know one of the things I'll be
                    looking
                    > for is info about the usefulness of the bivy combined w/a hammock in
                    > addition to its water repellency when used alone or w/a tarp.
                    > Helen
                  • GearTester
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 24 4:05 PM
                      You were selected. Please send your shipping info ASAP. You are the only one that hasn't responded. Enjoy.
                      Jerry

                       Please note my new email address. MSN has absorbed Qwest's ISP customers, necessitating my new address. Sorry for the inconvenience.

                         Please note my new email address. MSN has absorbed Qwest's ISP customers, necessitating my new address. Sorry for the inconvenience.

                        You were selected. Please send your shipping info ASAP. You are the only one that hasn't responded. Enjoy.
                        Jerry

                      • Cory
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 24 7:53 PM
                          Who is this directed to? Sometimes its confusing if you lose the
                          thread..

                          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "GearTester" <geartester@e...> wrote:
                          > Opps...sorry about that......
                          > Jerry
                          >
                          > Please note my new email address. MSN has absorbed Qwest's ISP
                          customers,
                          > necessitating my new address. Sorry for the inconvenience.

                          Service.
                        • GearTester
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 24 8:50 PM
                            It was originally meant to go to Doc Roddy. I just didn't check the "To" box
                            before I sent it.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 25 4:59 AM
                              Shipping Info for Equinox Bivy Test

                              Dr. Eugene A. Roddy     aka   hikemstr @...