POLICY - READ THIS - External Links Policy

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 17, 2004
      > 4 out of 5 of the Bite OS testers have "external links". What's the rule
      > again? (I'll ask before stating my opinion.) :-)

      Reposting...

      With rare exception (like my HH video) they aren't allowed. You can link to
      internal bookmarks, other reports on BGT, and you may also have a link to
      your personal hiking page.

      Without paying too much attention, I have been the worst culprit when it
      comes to violating this rule, and I have been spanked for it. I'm in the
      process of removing all external links from my reports. I've got a lot of
      fixing to do...

      With the Magellan IR, I stripped them all out and just left the Additional
      Resources link to a page on my personal hiking website that I maintain. I
      think that this is within the rules, but I've done it as more of an
      experiment to see how I like the idea. We may think about hosting something
      like this in the future on BGT. If we have an Articles section, then we
      could all contribute to it and simply have a link in our reports that says,
      "If you want to learn more about GPS, then see the GPS page in our Articles
      Section." Time brings all things...

      So, to answer your question directly, the policy as it stands is that NO
      external links are allowed EXCEPT for links to:

      A Manufacturer's HOME page.
      A vendor or distributor's HOME page, when that vendor or distributor is
      directly responsible for the Manufacturer's product. (In other words,
      Thales.com in the Magellan reports. RETAIL links like www.campmor.com are
      NOT allowed.)
      A link to a testers personal hiking website, and with rare exception, this
      should be the HOME page of that site as well.

      Active testers try to remove external links that do not fit this policy at
      their continence. This is not a requirement, but the policy will be
      enforced more stringently in the future.

      Shane
      BGT Moderator
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 25 5:59 PM
        > 4 out of 5 of the Bite OS testers have "external links". What's the rule
        > again? (I'll ask before stating my opinion.) :-)

        Reposting...

        With rare exception (like my HH video) they aren't allowed. You can link to
        internal bookmarks, other reports on BGT, and you may also have a link to
        your personal hiking page.

        Without paying too much attention, I have been the worst culprit when it
        comes to violating this rule, and I have been spanked for it. I'm in the
        process of removing all external links from my reports. I've got a lot of
        fixing to do...

        With the Magellan IR, I stripped them all out and just left the Additional
        Resources link to a page on my personal hiking website that I maintain. I
        think that this is within the rules, but I've done it as more of an
        experiment to see how I like the idea. We may think about hosting something
        like this in the future on BGT. If we have an Articles section, then we
        could all contribute to it and simply have a link in our reports that says,
        "If you want to learn more about GPS, then see the GPS page in our Articles
        Section." Time brings all things...

        So, to answer your question directly, the policy as it stands is that NO
        external links are allowed EXCEPT for links to:

        A Manufacturer's HOME page.
        A vendor or distributor's HOME page, when that vendor or distributor is
        directly responsible for the Manufacturer's product. (In other words,
        Thales.com in the Magellan reports. RETAIL links like www.campmor.com are
        NOT allowed.)
        A link to a testers personal hiking website, and with rare exception, this
        should be the HOME page of that site as well.

        Active testers try to remove external links that do not fit this policy at
        their continence. This is not a requirement, but the policy will be
        enforced more stringently in the future.

        Shane
        BGT Moderator
        http://BackpackGearTest.org

      • Sonjia
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 26 1:51 PM
          Andrew et al

          Just a quick question: why are posts such as this NOT posted on the
          "policy" section of the BGT.org site?
          (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/News/?topic=policy).

          It would be rather handy to have them there and not have to - often
          fruitlessly - search Yahoo's archives . . .

          Sonjia
          (Yeah, yeah, yeah. Too much to do, not enough time!)
        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 29 10:53 AM
            At 04:51 AM 27/04/2004, you wrote:
            >Andrew et al
            >
            >Just a quick question: why are posts such as this NOT posted on the
            >"policy" section of the BGT.org site?
            >(<http://www.backpackgeartest.org/News/?topic=policy).>http://www.backpackgeartest.org/News/?topic=policy).
            >
            >It would be rather handy to have them there and not have to - often
            >fruitlessly - search Yahoo's archives . . .

            Hi Sonjia

            Not posted because:

            (a) Didn't know it was there;
            (b) Time;
            (c) Will become part of SG;
            (d) Doubtful how many people actually read the stuff over there or would
            think to go over there;
            (e) Assume people, once they see the policy email, take it on board.

            That said, think it wouldn't hurt ... will try and do it when I get a moment.

            Andrew

          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 11 , May 14, 2004
[...]

              Reposted by Andrew Priest, List Moderator

            • Andrew Priest
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2004

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 31, 2005
                  > 4 out of 5 of the Bite OS testers have "external links". What's the rule
                  > again? (I'll ask before stating my opinion.) :-)

                  Reposting...

                  With rare exception (like my HH video) they aren't allowed. You can link to
                  internal bookmarks, other reports on BGT, and you may also have a link to
                  your personal hiking page.

                  Without paying too much attention, I have been the worst culprit when it
                  comes to violating this rule, and I have been spanked for it. I'm in the
                  process of removing all external links from my reports. I've got a lot of
                  fixing to do...

                  With the Magellan IR, I stripped them all out and just left the Additional
                  Resources link to a page on my personal hiking website that I maintain. I
                  think that this is within the rules, but I've done it as more of an
                  experiment to see how I like the idea. We may think about hosting something
                  like this in the future on BGT. If we have an Articles section, then we
                  could all contribute to it and simply have a link in our reports that says,
                  "If you want to learn more about GPS, then see the GPS page in our Articles
                  Section." Time brings all things...

                  So, to answer your question directly, the policy as it stands is that NO
                  external links are allowed EXCEPT for links to:

                  A Manufacturer's HOME page.
                  A vendor or distributor's HOME page, when that vendor or distributor is
                  directly responsible for the Manufacturer's product. (In other words,
                  Thales.com in the Magellan reports. RETAIL links like www.campmor.com are
                  NOT allowed.)
                  A link to a testers personal hiking website, and with rare exception, this
                  should be the HOME page of that site as well.

                  Active testers try to remove external links that do not fit this policy at
                  their continence. This is not a requirement, but the policy will be
                  enforced more stringently in the future.

                  Shane
                  BGT Moderator

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cv4m5ad/M=274551.4550177.5718621.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066005:HM/EXP=1077140117/A=1994230/R=2/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.22;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1077053717378283?>
                  Click Here
                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cv4m5ad/M=274551.4550177.5718621.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066005:HM/EXP=1077140117/A=1994230/R=2/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.22;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1077053717378283?>Click
                  Here

                  *
                  <mailto:BackpackGearTest-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>BackpackGearTest-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  *
                  * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

                  ==
                  http://BackpackGearTest.org
                  ICQ No. 38215599
                  MSN Messenger: aushiker@...
                  Yahoo Messenger: aushiker
                  Google Talk: Aushiker or aushiker@...

                • Andrew Priest
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
                    > 4 out of 5 of the Bite OS testers have "external links". What's the rule
                    > again? (I'll ask before stating my opinion.) :-)

                    Reposting...

                    With rare exception (like my HH video) they aren't allowed. You can link to
                    internal bookmarks, other reports on BGT, and you may also have a link to
                    your personal hiking page.

                    Without paying too much attention, I have been the worst culprit when it
                    comes to violating this rule, and I have been spanked for it. I'm in the
                    process of removing all external links from my reports. I've got a lot of
                    fixing to do...

                    With the Magellan IR, I stripped them all out and just left the Additional
                    Resources link to a page on my personal hiking website that I maintain. I
                    think that this is within the rules, but I've done it as more of an
                    experiment to see how I like the idea. We may think about hosting something
                    like this in the future on BGT. If we have an Articles section, then we
                    could all contribute to it and simply have a link in our reports that says,
                    "If you want to learn more about GPS, then see the GPS page in our Articles
                    Section." Time brings all things...

                    So, to answer your question directly, the policy as it stands is that NO
                    external links are allowed EXCEPT for links to:

                    A Manufacturer's HOME page.
                    A vendor or distributor's HOME page, when that vendor or distributor is
                    directly responsible for the Manufacturer's product. (In other words,
                    Thales.com in the Magellan reports. RETAIL links like www.campmor.com are
                    NOT allowed.)
                    A link to a testers personal hiking website, and with rare exception, this
                    should be the HOME page of that site as well.

                    Active testers try to remove external links that do not fit this policy at
                    their continence. This is not a requirement, but the policy will be
                    enforced more stringently in the future.

                    Shane
                    BGT Moderator

                    ==
                    http://BackpackGearTest.org