Re: Natural insulators???

  • Gerry Gladu
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2000
      Michael Tocci" <cmtocci@s...>

      > Now putting on my ultra-light hiker's hat

      >I was thinking if we had a pocket on the bottom of the hammock that
      >we could fill with forest duff it would kind of act like a hanging
      >debris shelter! Of course in middle of winter it might be hard to
      >find leaves and such if snow covered.... a second choice would be to
      >utilize downed evergreen boughs....

      1) What do you plan to do when the materials you seek are not
      available or usable because they are wet and/or frozen?

      2) A pocket would add weight to the hammock that would be
      completely unecessary in the summer. It would need to be
      removable.

      I suppose that if you had one, you could stuff extra clothing
      into it (I don't carry enough extra clothing so that I could
      do this, howver). You could possibly slide a quilt or sleeping
      pad into it.

      Then again, you could probably do the above with some sort of
      configuration of the emergency blanket rig that is described
      on Tom's website. You'd have to make it out of something other
      than mylar. And it would only work if you could remain situated
      above the insulation.

      >would appreciate peoples thoughts before I trudge off
      >into the woods.

      Does this mean that you've made a pocket of some sort? If so, let us
      know how it works.

      Gerry