SWA Inline Filter Leakage

  • daniel_yyz@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2001
      I have the SWA Inline Filter and when I first started using it, I
      encountered the same leak problem around the threads. I contacted the
      company and they sent me replacement O-rings - tighter fitting with a
      slightly larger thickness. I've had no problems since replacing the
      O-rings. It seems the first lots of inline filters had an anemic
      O-ring; the filters now being sold in store have the appropriate
      o-ring in place.

      > SWA inline filter:
      >
      > From a 4-liter platypus bag went about 3 feet of silicone tubing to
      the filter, from there about 1 foot of tubing to a 1.8 liter platypus.
      At the beginning of the trip, it filled the 1.8 bag in about 2.5
      minutes. As the trip went on, the water source (lakes) got more silty.
      I should have let the water settle before I dumped it into the
      4-liter, but I didn't. The filter got slower, so I took it apart,
      cleaned the prefilter and scrubbed the carbon filter with a
      toothbrush. In this process (i did it twice), I lost the large O-ring
      that goes between the two housing pieces. After that, it leaked in the
      threads pretty bad it was really slow, about 20 minutes to fill about
      2/3rds of the 1.8 platy. If I can get a new o-ring and get it working
      decently again, this is a great idea. I hope the silty water didn't do
      the filter in already.