RE: [BackpackGearTest] brief multiple gear reviews

  • Marge Prothman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2001
      Jason,
      Great mini reviews.....wanted to tell you about the SWA filter "O" Ring.  A couple of years ago I cleaned mine on the trail and
      promptly lost the very thin "O" ring. It slips off very easily.  My granddaughter managed to tighten the filter up without the ring
      so we were okay.  Once home my husband just went out and bought a thicker "O" ring in the correct size. It worked very well.
        I now pack a extra
      ring just in case, but I have not lost any since that time.  My SWA filter is now on its 4th year, I do not know how many gallons it has filtered but on my last trip it just stopped filtering, so guess I have had my moneys worth and will get a new one.
      Cheers,
      Marge (the old gal)
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2001
        I have the SWA Inline Filter and when I first started using it, I
        encountered the same leak problem around the threads. I contacted the
        company and they sent me replacement O-rings - tighter fitting with a
        slightly larger thickness. I've had no problems since replacing the
        O-rings. It seems the first lots of inline filters had an anemic
        O-ring; the filters now being sold in store have the appropriate
        o-ring in place.

        > SWA inline filter:
        >
        > From a 4-liter platypus bag went about 3 feet of silicone tubing to
        the filter, from there about 1 foot of tubing to a 1.8 liter platypus.
        At the beginning of the trip, it filled the 1.8 bag in about 2.5
        minutes. As the trip went on, the water source (lakes) got more silty.
        I should have let the water settle before I dumped it into the
        4-liter, but I didn't. The filter got slower, so I took it apart,
        cleaned the prefilter and scrubbed the carbon filter with a
        toothbrush. In this process (i did it twice), I lost the large O-ring
        that goes between the two housing pieces. After that, it leaked in the
        threads pretty bad it was really slow, about 20 minutes to fill about
        2/3rds of the 1.8 platy. If I can get a new o-ring and get it working
        decently again, this is a great idea. I hope the silty water didn't do
        the filter in already.