brief multiple gear reviews

  • Jason Rumohr
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2001
      I just got back from a 7 day canoe/kayak trip in the Lake Bowron Provincal Park in British Columbia. I tried some new pieces of gear out and here are my quick and dirties...fuller user reviews to come in the future:

      Items reviewed: golight gust pack, golight dome, swa inline filter, frogg toggs suit, plastic tarp setup

      Jason Rumohr
      28, 5'10", 145 lbs.
      Lake Bowron area 40F-75F

      Golight Gust pack:

      I love this thing. This is my first lightweight pack, my old one weighs 7 lbs, this large is 19.5 oz. I ordered both medium and large, walked around with each loaded up with about 15 lbs and felt the large was much more comfortable. It looks (and performed on its virgin trip) like it is well-built. I had up to 33 lbs in it and it was very comfortable. My pack usage was limited to the portages, the longest being about 2 miles, so this isn't a real trail test for the comfort of the pack. I'm selling my big internal frame, though. I don't want it anymore after wearing this thing. It is huge and will swallow anything I can put in it, it's almost too big. I'm sure some super-ultralights might prefer the G4 over this. There is thin padding both in the shoulder straps and in the back region. The dual ice axe loops make this a great climbing pack. I lined the pack with a large "coverall" plastic bag. My only performance complaint so far is the buckle that cinches down the top of the bag would come loose if I picked the loaded pack up from that loop. It seems like a great handle, but the buckle can't handle it.

      Golight Dome umbrella:

      I only used this once on the trip, during a rainy portage. It worked fine and the thing looks rust-free and much stronger and lightweight than an ordinary umbrella. I'm sure you could fashion your own, but this thing is so well built for $20. I hope to use it more this coming winter.

      SWA inline filter:

      From a 4-liter platypus bag went about 3 feet of silicone tubing to the filter, from there about 1 foot of tubing to a 1.8 liter platypus. At the beginning of the trip, it filled the 1.8 bag in about 2.5 minutes. As the trip went on, the water source (lakes) got more silty. I should have let the water settle before I dumped it into the 4-liter, but I didn't. The filter got slower, so I took it apart, cleaned the prefilter and scrubbed the carbon filter with a toothbrush. In this process (i did it twice), I lost the large O-ring that goes between the two housing pieces. After that, it leaked in the threads pretty bad it was really slow, about 20 minutes to fill about 2/3rds of the 1.8 platy. If I can get a new o-ring and get it working decently again, this is a great idea. I hope the silty water didn't do the filter in already.

      Frogg Toggs suit:

      I wore this suit most of the days while paddling (i paddled a sea kayak over 70 miles). It breathed way better than my goretex and kept the water out, which was some rain and mostly paddle drippings. The spray skirt on the kayak leaked, so I was usually sitting in a puddle of water, which did end up leaking somehow into the pants. My butt was always wet at the end of the day, but only in a small area, the lower butt area. It was very comfortable to wear, lightweight and did not restrict my range of movement. Fabric noise was less than my 3-layer goretex jacket and the fabric was also more flexible. I wish the frogg hood had a small bill to keep water drips out of my face (but I already had a cap on underneath). I rougher on the jacket that I probably would be hiking, except for the fact that I only wore a pack on the portages. Only damage was a miniscule tear in the stitching of the "fake pockets" on the pants. I wish the jacket had pockets, but I made do fine without them. My friends were always sweaty hot in their goretex and usually "wet inside and out of the jacket) when I was bone dry inside the jacket. I like these things.

      Plastic tarp:

      Made my first tarp setup. I used small corks to attach the guylines to the tarp. 8'x10'. 3 of us slept under in car-camping the very first night. It stormed...windy and rainy. I thought the wind was going to rip it out of the ground, but it never did. It was NOISY and we got our sleeping bags wet, as I had sized it for 1 or 2 people and hadn't intended for 3 to sleep under it. It was nice to have the car to dry out the bags in the morning. I opted to sleep in my SD clip flashlight the paddle part of the trip and we used the tarp to protect our gear. Maybe a silnylon tarp would be less noisy in the wind.
    • Marge Prothman
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2001
        Jason,
        Great mini reviews.....wanted to tell you about the SWA filter "O" Ring.  A couple of years ago I cleaned mine on the trail and
        promptly lost the very thin "O" ring. It slips off very easily.  My granddaughter managed to tighten the filter up without the ring
        so we were okay.  Once home my husband just went out and bought a thicker "O" ring in the correct size. It worked very well.
          I now pack a extra
        ring just in case, but I have not lost any since that time.  My SWA filter is now on its 4th year, I do not know how many gallons it has filtered but on my last trip it just stopped filtering, so guess I have had my moneys worth and will get a new one.
        Cheers,
        Marge (the old gal)
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 13, 2001
          I have the SWA Inline Filter and when I first started using it, I
          encountered the same leak problem around the threads. I contacted the
          company and they sent me replacement O-rings - tighter fitting with a
          slightly larger thickness. I've had no problems since replacing the
          O-rings. It seems the first lots of inline filters had an anemic
          O-ring; the filters now being sold in store have the appropriate
          o-ring in place.

          > SWA inline filter:
          >
          > From a 4-liter platypus bag went about 3 feet of silicone tubing to
          the filter, from there about 1 foot of tubing to a 1.8 liter platypus.
          At the beginning of the trip, it filled the 1.8 bag in about 2.5
          minutes. As the trip went on, the water source (lakes) got more silty.
          I should have let the water settle before I dumped it into the
          4-liter, but I didn't. The filter got slower, so I took it apart,
          cleaned the prefilter and scrubbed the carbon filter with a
          toothbrush. In this process (i did it twice), I lost the large O-ring
          that goes between the two housing pieces. After that, it leaked in the
          threads pretty bad it was really slow, about 20 minutes to fill about
          2/3rds of the 1.8 platy. If I can get a new o-ring and get it working
          decently again, this is a great idea. I hope the silty water didn't do
          the filter in already.