Frogg Toggs initial report

  • Stuart Bilby
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2001
      Frogg Toggs PA102 Pro Action Rain Suit
      Report 1 & 2 10 September 2001
      Stuart Bilby, Age 35, stu@...

      The frogg toggs were delivered today by UPS in good condition to my house in
      Auckland, New Zealand, despite having the city name missing from the address
      and the suburb spelled wrong. No issues with customs and no tax or duty

      They come with a tag promoting their DuraVent 100% polypropylene fabric and
      informing of their 100% satisfaction guarantee. The tag claims they weigh
      11.5 oz, which is not true of L-XL size. See weights below. There are no
      other instructions, and none appear necessary. The washing instructions on
      the tag sewn to the clothing warn against heat drying and dry-cleaning, but
      allow hand or machine washing.

      Sizing I am 5'9" (176 cm) and 176 lb (80 kg) The size L-XL frogg toggs are
      very generously sized for me. They bunch a little around the ankles. Pulled
      down the jacket reaches to just below my buttocks and my hands tuck nicely
      inside the sleeves. Perfect for keeping my gloves dry. The chest area is so
      big that it puffs out a little blocking the view of my toes. A pack with a
      waist strap stops that problem. There is no restriction to movement with the
      jacket, but the pants with their papery feel, bind a little on clothing
      underneath when lifting my legs high. I have found this to be normal with
      non-stretch rainwear. The simple elastic cuff on the sleeves and ankles
      appear to be just the right tension for my fairly thin wrists.

      Materials and Construction The fabric appears papery with dimples,
      resembling disposable diaper material. It makes a little papery crinkling
      noise when you walk. The fawn color has a not unpleasant patchiness as shown
      on the website.

      The hood zips away readily into the collar. It is a simple shape with no
      brim. It has a light shoelace drawstring with a cordlock at each end. Like
      the waist-cord on the pants, the string is not knotted at the ends and the
      cordlocks can be pulled off and lost. Three quick knots soon fix that. The
      hood cinches nicely around my face to just leave my eyes exposed. There are
      no draw-cords at the waist or hem of the jacket.

      The main seams are ultrasonically welded. The detailing (front zipper, hood
      attachment and pant's pocket holes) is sewn without seam sealing.

      The jacket has no pockets and the pants have a hole on each side covered by
      a 2.5 inch wide flap with a single small metal snap fastener. The pockets
      are barely long enough (7 inches) for my smallish hands when wearing mitts.
      Within minutes of putting the pants on, while trying to open the pocket snap
      I ripped the stitching at the top of the pocket flap. This tore a quarter
      inch (10 mm) hole in the single layer of underlying fabric. Putting a rip in
      them so soon after getting them was tragic. I will put a piece of duct tape
      over that area and treat the pockets very gently. Because there are no other
      pockets, I envisage that the pockets will get a lot of use, at least for
      keeping my hands warm. This high stress location could perhaps be
      strengthened by running the pocket flap all the way up to the waistband.

      The main zippers on the jacket and ankles are chunky plastic YKK brand with
      metal tags. The jacket zipper has a single 2.2 inch wide storm flap, held in
      place by five small metal snap fasteners. The ankle cuffs are elasticated
      and have an 8 inch long zipper. I could put them on over my full leather
      boots (Asolo AFX535 size 10 USA), a nice feature for the snow, but not over
      my plastic climbing boots (Asolo Guide AFS size 11 USA)

      size L-XL Jacket 9.9 oz (282 g) Pants 7.7 oz (217 g)

      Volume. Pushed firmly into a measuring bowl the garments are more bulky for
      their weight than nylon fabrics. They pack to about twice the volume of
      similar weight coated nylon garments. This presumably reflects the lower
      density of polypropylene and the slight stiffness of the fabric.

      Jacket 116 cubic inches (1.9 litres) Pants 92 cubic inches (1.5 litres)

      First impression of the frogg toggs is that they are light, nicely put
      together and without any unnecessary extras.