Frogg Toggs Second Report

  • JONES, PHILIP T
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2001
      REPORT #2
      TESTER: Phil Jones
      AGE: 46
      EMAIL: phil-t-jones@...
      ITEM: Frogg Toggs PA102 Pro Action Rain Suit

      Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to check out the Frogg Toggs in
      action. We were expecting rain all weekend and on Sunday, it came with a
      vengeance. This was a perfect opportunity to see how well the suit would
      perform.
      I put on the rain suit and started walking toward Lake Pontchartrain. It is
      a four-block walk to the lake and there is a bike trail along the lake. The
      rain had cooled things off, so it was 76 degrees when I took my walk. After
      5 minutes of walking, I started to feel a little clammy with the rain suit
      on. It was still raining hard and the wind was blowing about 15 miles per
      hour so I couldn't open up the coat at all for venting purposes. I didn't
      make it to the lake since the lightening was striking hard, and I didn't
      want to expose myself anymore by crossing the raised levee. So, I continued
      to walk the streets in the neighborhood.
      I looped back home and spent a total of fifteen minutes in the rain. After
      taking off the rain suit, I made the following observations:
      1) I felt clammy in the rain suit.
      2) The collar area of the coat was wet.
      3) The zippers at the bottom of the legs were very wet and soaked
      through.
      4) I had several small wet spots on the front of my t-shirt.
      5) My face was uncomfortably wet from the blown rain.
      All of the fused seams appeared to be completely waterproof. However, the
      sewn seam around the collar leaked. It didn't leak enough that water flowed
      into the rain suit, just enough to dampen the inside of the collar area. I
      did make sure that I pulled out the little protective flap at the base of
      the hood. This flap prevents rain from running into the zippered collar
      where the hood is stored when not in use. I couldn't tell if the water on
      the front of my shirt resulted from rain blown around the storm flap or if
      the sewn seam on the front of the coat had leaked. The two zippers at the
      bottom of the legs did leak water onto my socks. This wasn't a big issue
      since my shoes were completely soaked anyway from the heavy rain. I did wish
      that I had worn a baseball cap with a visor over my face. It was very
      difficult to walk with my head down to prevent windblown rain from entering
      the rain suit. I'm sure that a built in visor won't add very much weight to
      the coat though. So, this might be an area for improvement. Also, the ends
      of the sleeve did leak when I raised my hand to wipe my face, but this could
      be a result of my small diameter wrists. I think that pit zips would add
      more comfort to the rain suit by allowing air to enter from below and exit
      around the color. Another possibility would be to put a drawstring at the
      bottom of the coat instead of elastic, thus allowing the user to let fresh
      air into the suit from the bottom of the coat.

      For my next test, I will keep the built in hood in its pocket and use my OR
      Seattle Sombrero. I want to see if this helps the collar seam from leaking.
      I may also apply some silicone chalking to the two seams on the coat, the
      collar and the front zipper storm flap.
    • Dave Hicks
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2001
        Good report.

        Also parallels my experience so far -- both in type of exposure (e.g., just
        walking around) and in the results.

        I am waiting until I get some real mileage w/ a pack before I post an
        owner's report. I am very interested in how the fabric holds up to wear
        under the shoulder straps.

        Chainsaw

        BTW -- Frogg Toggs come out of the sportsmen's world -- primarily fishing.
        Most fishermen wear hat, or rather caps. Hence most users wear the hood
        over a cap w/o a bill. That won't effect the neck leak, but explains the
        "missing" bill.

        BTW2 -- The ends of my sleeve leak around the stitching, as well as when I
        raised my hand to wipe my face (and I don't have small diameter wrists). I
        suspect all the sewn seams leak.