RE: [BackpackGearTest] WM Ultralight Review

  • Jerry Goller 1
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
      It reads ok to me.....
      Jerry
      -----Original Message-----
      From: David Foote [mailto:dfoote@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 10:27 AM
      To: gear test
      Subject: [BackpackGearTest] WM Ultralight Review

      I tried viewing the following report and found gibberish.
      Anybody else have the same problem?

      df

      ------------

      Subject: New file uploaded to BackpackGearTest

      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the BackpackGearTest
      group.

        File        : /Sleep Gear/WM Ultralight/WM Ultra review.rtf
        Uploaded by : richard.dreher@...
        Description : Owner Review--W.M. Ultralight

      You can access this file at the URL

    • Ron Martino
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
        > I tried viewing the following report and found gibberish.
        > Anybody else have the same problem?
        >
        > df

        Essentially. There's a review buried in there, but the coding is only
        'viable' for certain browsers. It is readable using Internet Explorer
        (I'm using version 5.0) but not Netscape 4.7. Those are the ones I have
        available, so I can't comment on others.

        Try using Explorer to read it.

        Ron
        --

        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
      • richard.dreher@jacobs.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
          Sorry for the problems. FWIW I composed it in Word and saved as
          an .rtf file before uploading. I guess some browsers can't read .rtfs?

          It's also available as post #4494.

          --Rick

          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "David Foote" <dfoote@h...> wrote:
          > I tried viewing the following report and found gibberish.
          > Anybody else have the same problem?
          >
          > df
          >
          > ------------
          >
          > Subject: New file uploaded to BackpackGearTest
          >

          > Hello,

          > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the BackpackGearTest
          > group.
          >
          > File : /Sleep Gear/WM Ultralight/WM Ultra review.rtf
          > Uploaded by : richard.dreher@j...
          > Description : Owner Review--W.M. Ultralight
          >
          > You can access this file at the URL

          20Gear/WM%20Ultralight/WM%20Ultra%20review.rtf
        • m_factor@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2001
            Hey Rick,

            I finally figured out a foolproof way to generate a file that can
            apparently be read by all... (Apparently, not all browsers can
            handle rich text format .rtf files.)

            From Word, save your file in .htm format. Then, using Notepad, edit
            the file and remove the META line that references word.

            It looks something like:

            META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Microsoft Word 97">

            (I removed the leading open angle brackets so they wouldn't
            be "translated" as html.)

            If you don't take out that META line (or even perhaps just the Word
            reference), then some people have to download the file to read it.

            Save that file and it should upload in a way that can be read by all.

            Hope this helps,
            Mara