WM Ultralight Review

  • David Foote
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
      I tried viewing the following report and found gibberish.
      Anybody else have the same problem?

      df

      ------------

      Subject: New file uploaded to BackpackGearTest

      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the BackpackGearTest
      group.

      File : /Sleep Gear/WM Ultralight/WM Ultra review.rtf
      Uploaded by : richard.dreher@...
      Description : Owner Review--W.M. Ultralight

      You can access this file at the URL

    • Jerry Goller 1
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
        It reads ok to me.....
        Jerry

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
          > I tried viewing the following report and found gibberish.
          > Anybody else have the same problem?
          >
          > df

          Essentially. There's a review buried in there, but the coding is only
          'viable' for certain browsers. It is readable using Internet Explorer
          (I'm using version 5.0) but not Netscape 4.7. Those are the ones I have
          available, so I can't comment on others.

          Try using Explorer to read it.

          Ron
          --

          yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
        • richard.dreher@jacobs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
            Sorry for the problems. FWIW I composed it in Word and saved as
            an .rtf file before uploading. I guess some browsers can't read .rtfs?

            It's also available as post #4494.

            --Rick

            --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "David Foote" <dfoote@h...> wrote:
            > I tried viewing the following report and found gibberish.
            > Anybody else have the same problem?
            >
            > df
            >
            > ------------
            >
            > Subject: New file uploaded to BackpackGearTest
            >

            > Hello,

            > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the BackpackGearTest
            > group.
            >
            > File : /Sleep Gear/WM Ultralight/WM Ultra review.rtf
            > Uploaded by : richard.dreher@j...
            > Description : Owner Review--W.M. Ultralight
            >
            > You can access this file at the URL

            20Gear/WM%20Ultralight/WM%20Ultra%20review.rtf
          • m_factor@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 10, 2001
              Hey Rick,

              I finally figured out a foolproof way to generate a file that can
              apparently be read by all... (Apparently, not all browsers can
              handle rich text format .rtf files.)

              From Word, save your file in .htm format. Then, using Notepad, edit
              the file and remove the META line that references word.

              It looks something like:

              META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Microsoft Word 97">

              (I removed the leading open angle brackets so they wouldn't
              be "translated" as html.)

              If you don't take out that META line (or even perhaps just the Word
              reference), then some people have to download the file to read it.

              Save that file and it should upload in a way that can be read by all.

              Hope this helps,
              Mara