MSR Simmerlite

  • tobymartin@edsamail.com.ph
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2, 2001
      anyone hear whether the upcoming lightweight (8oz for stove and pump, 12oz for all accessories) 2002 model MSR simmerlite is a multifuel stove like the dragonfly and whisperlite international or just a white gas burner?

      __________________________________
      www.edsamail.com
    • Bill Bradshaw
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 21, 2003
        Anybody used this stove enough that they are willing to share some opinions
        about it?

        <Bill>

        Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
        N 53° 51.140' W 166° 30.228' (WGS 84)
      • Chief Moderator
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 21, 2003
          Great gas mileage on low. One of the best snow melters I've seen. Pretty
          easy to light. Weighs less than most gas stoves. Better bring a pair of
          glove liners to handle the sooty little thing. I'm a lightweight backpacker
          (even though I frequently carry a Hennessy... ;o) ) so the only time I use
          this stove is to melt snow. It is my second choice for that over all and
          first for very low temps.
          Jerry

          http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> : the

          Anybody used this stove enough that they are willing to share some opinions
          about it?

          <Bill>

          Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
          N 53° 51.140' W 166° 30.228' (WGS 84)

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17050660
          05:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo_1/g22l
          p?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1464858/rand=358255784>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Shane
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 21, 2003
            > It is my second choice for that over all and first
            > for very low temps.

            A little fleshing out, add some bio, and this would make a fine Owner
            Review, Jerry. If you'd like, I can pair you with a Mentor to walk you
            through the system... ;0)

            Shane
          • Graham Blamey <gg@higray.fsnet.co.uk>
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 21, 2003
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
              > > It is my second choice for that over all and first
              > > for very low temps.
              >
              > A little fleshing out, add some bio, and this would make a fine
              Owner
              > Review, Jerry. If you'd like, I can pair you with a Mentor to walk
              you
              > through the system... ;0)
              >
              > Shane

              And I'll do the edit
              (It's OK Jerry I'll be gentle with you, I'm not as picky as they
              say ;-)
            • Chief Moderator
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 21, 2003
                No more reports from me...remember?.....lol.
                Jerry

                http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> : the

                > It is my second choice for that over all and first
                > for very low temps.

                A little fleshing out, add some bio, and this would make a fine Owner
                Review, Jerry. If you'd like, I can pair you with a Mentor to walk you
                through the system... ;0)

                Shane

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17050660
                05:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo_1/g22l
                p?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupmai
                l/S=:HM/A=1464858/rand=383800299>

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 21, 2003
                  > No more reports from me...remember?.....lol.

                  Well, I know that's what you SAID... ;)

                  Shane
                • redbike64 <richard.dreher@jacobs.com>
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 21, 2003
                    (second try at post, list went kablooie)

                    Bill, my vote for current best white gas stove (based on price,
                    weight, utility and ease of use) goes to (clears throat) the
                    SimmerLite.

                    Huzzah.

                    I've not had mine long enough to swear on a stack of Fletchers that
                    the SL is a long-lived wonder, but will say that it's better in every
                    way than its grandfather, the Whisperlite, with which I have
                    something like 17 years' experience.

                    Some folks swear by the Snowpeak WG stove, which REI recently had on
                    sale for a hundred bucks. I'm certain its a clever stove and probably
                    works well, but it's too gizmo-ish to suit my tastes. Finally, if
                    melting lots of snow and perhaps smelting replacement ice axe heads
                    in the field are your main objectives, the XGK remains the blowtorch
                    king, bar none.

                    Cheers,

                    --Rick

                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bradshaw"
                    <bradshaw@a...> wrote:
                    > Anybody used this stove enough that they are willing to share some
                    opinions
                    > about it?
                    >
                    > <Bill>
                    >
                    > Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
                    > N 53° 51.140' W 166° 30.228' (WGS 84)
                  • Michael Wheiler
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 21, 2003
                      So far that sounds like a great description of the MSR Dragonfly. I've only
                      had it out for three test drives but your description of the Simmerlite
                      almost nailed my experience with the Dragonfly.

                      Mike

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 21, 2003
                        Oh, the Dragon is positively operating room clean compared to the Simmer.
                        I've got a Dragonfly as well. The Simmer is much lighter (less than half)
                        and I feel, due to the very wide flame spread, it actually works better at
                        snow melting. I think the Dragon may simmer a bit lower (smaller flame
                        spread) the the flame is so concentrated.
                        Jerry

                        http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> : the

                        Great gas mileage on low. One of the best snow melters I've seen. Pretty
                        easy to light. Weighs less than most gas stoves. Better bring a pair of
                        glove liners to handle the sooty little thing. I'm a lightweight backpacker
                        (even though I frequently carry a Hennessy... ;o) ) so the only time I use
                        this stove is to melt snow. It is my second choice for that over all and
                        first for very low temps.
                        Jerry

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17050660
                        05:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo_1/g22l
                        p?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupmai
                        l/S=:HM/A=1464858/rand=644937736>

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 21, 2003
                          Given that fact, I'm glad I chose the Dragon over the Simmerlite. It is
                          enough of a pain to clean the Dragon after each use. I can only imagine
                          what the Simmerlite must be like.

                          Mike

                          > Oh, the Dragon is positively operating room clean compared to the Simmer.
                          > I've got a Dragonfly as well. The Simmer is much lighter (less than half)
                          > and I feel, due to the very wide flame spread, it actually works better at
                          > snow melting. I think the Dragon may simmer a bit lower (smaller flame
                          > spread) the the flame is so concentrated.
                          > Jerry
                        • Chief Moderator
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 21, 2003
                            You *clean* yours?? What a concept....lol.
                            Jerry

                            http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> : the

                            > Oh, the Dragon is positively operating room clean compared to the Simmer.
                            > I've got a Dragonfly as well. The Simmer is much lighter (less than half)
                            > and I feel, due to the very wide flame spread, it actually works better at
                            > snow melting. I think the Dragon may simmer a bit lower (smaller flame
                            > spread) the the flame is so concentrated.
                            > Jerry

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17050660
                            05:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo_1/g22l
                            p?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupmai
                            l/S=:HM/A=1464858/rand=160226749>

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 21, 2003
                              I have been carrying a Dragonfly for years and have had very good luck with
                              it. I have dropped over 20 pounds from my pack and I am still looking for
                              more weight savings. I am a terrible cook so I really need to be able to
                              easily control the cooking temperature. How easy has it been to adjust the
                              SimmerLite to simmer temperatures?

                              richard.dreher@... wrote:
                              > (second try at post, list went kablooie)
                              >
                              > Bill, my vote for current best white gas stove (based on price,
                              > weight, utility and ease of use) goes to (clears throat) the
                              > SimmerLite.
                              >
                              > Huzzah.
                            • Chief Moderator
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 22, 2003
                                Oh, it's a snap. I don't think it will go as low as a Dragon will because of
                                the flame size. It's goes as low but the burner head is huge compared to a
                                Dragon so the heat output at it's lowest setting is higher than the Dragon,
                                in my opinion.

                                richard.dreher@... wrote:
                                > (second try at post, list went kablooie)
                                >
                                > Bill, my vote for current best white gas stove (based on price,
                                > weight, utility and ease of use) goes to (clears throat) the
                                > SimmerLite.
                                >
                                > Huzzah.

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17050660
                                05:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo_1/g22l
                                p?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupmai
                                l/S=:HM/A=1464858/rand=841270579>

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 22, 2003
                                  To add a bit to Jerry's response, because the SL's flame control is
                                  on the pump and not at the burner head, as with the DF, there's a
                                  time lag when adjusting the flame. That means making adjustments in
                                  little increments and waiting for them to take effect before
                                  proceding. It takes a little practice, because it's easy to overdo it
                                  and snuff the flame (same with the Whisperlite).

                                  That's probably the biggest technical difference between the two. I'm
                                  presuming that the DF's control is more or less instantaneous--but I
                                  don't own one.

                                  --Rick

                                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator"
                                  <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                                  > Oh, it's a snap. I don't think it will go as low as a Dragon will
                                  because of
                                  > the flame size. It's goes as low but the burner head is huge
                                  compared to a
                                  > Dragon so the heat output at it's lowest setting is higher than the
                                  Dragon,
                                  > in my opinion.
                                  > Jerry

                                • David Anderson
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 22, 2003
                                    I've never used the dragon, so I can't compare, but I found that I could
                                    get the simmerlite to go lower than it's normal simmer by keeping the
                                    pressure higher by occasionally giving it a couple extra pumps. The normal
                                    low simmer is low enough for most things if you know how to stir.

                                    --
                                    David Anderson
                                    Moderator
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 25, 2004
                                      I just noticed that we don't have any ORs for the MSR Simmerlite. Could
                                      2 or 3 Simmerlite owners step up to the plate and each do an OR for us?
                                      Thanks. Brownie points never hurt in tester selections.... ;o)
                                      Jerry

                                      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :
                                      the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                                    • Graham Blamey
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 25, 2004
                                        <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                                        > I just noticed that we don't have any ORs for the MSR Simmerlite.
                                        Could
                                        > 2 or 3 Simmerlite owners step up to the plate and each do an OR for
                                        us?
                                        > Thanks. Brownie points never hurt in tester selections.... ;o)
                                        > Jerry

                                        Now there's a chance you really shouldn't pass up :)
                                        (edit team's on Orange alert boss)