RITR Extreme Journal: Long Term Report - TODD

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2004
      See below for my Extreme Journal Long Term report. Report with
      photos have been placed in the test folder at:

      Long Term Report - Rite in the Rain Extreme Journal
      Personal Biographical Info:
      Name: Todd Martin
      Age: 40
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'11" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 155 lbs. (68 kg)
      Email Address: todds_hiking_guide (at) yahoo (dot) com
      Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
      Date: February 1, 2004

      Thru-hiked the AT in 1994. Moved to Pacific Northwest 1996 and
      enjoyed day hiking excursions in the Columbia River Gorge area,
      followed by some backpacking along the Pacific Crest Trail. Moved to
      the desert southwest in 1997 and have been actively day hiking most
      weekends. Generally take 2 week-long trips to the Grand Canyon each
      year. Backpacking philosophy has been rapidly moving towards ultra-
      light gear. My current base pack weight (not including food or
      water) measures about 10 lbs (4.5 kg). Have also been participating
      in canyoning since 1997. Web master for Todd's Desert Hiking Guide
      at: http://www.toddshikingguide.com/

      Product Information:

      Rite in the Rain (http://www.riteintherain.com/)
      Style of Product: Spiral notepad with 50 sheets of waterproof paper
      Color: Green
      Year of Manufacture: 2003
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Weight as Delivered: 3.3 oz (94 g)
      Size: 4" x 6" (10cm x 15cm)
      Materials: Plastic cover with "DuraRite" synthetic, tear-proof paper

      Field and Test Information:
      Location(s) of test:
      Since my Field Report was written, the Rite in the Rain Extreme
      Journal was taken on several more canyon hikes in Arizona and Utah
      including hikes in the Coronado National Forest and North Wash area
      of the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.

      Trips were off trail through canyons consisting mainly of sandstone
      and granite. Elevations ranged from 3000 to 7000 feet (900 to 2100
      meters) above sea level.

      Weather Conditions:
      Temperatures ranged from highs above 100 F (38 C) in the lowland
      desert areas to lows in the 50's F (10 C).

      Description of Experience and Comments on Product Performance:
      The Extreme Journal was taken on several trips in the last few
      months. Hikes ranged from day hikes in the desert to technical
      canyoning trips involving climbing and swimming.

      Trips include the following:
      Technical canyoning trip - Coronado National Forest, AZ
      Technical canyoning trip - North Wash area of the Glen Canyon
      National Recreation Area, UT
      Day Hike - Martinez Canyon, AZ
      Day Hike - Seven Springs Recreation Area, AZ
      Day Hike - Eagletail Mountains Wilderness, AZ
      Day Hike - Christopher Creek Gorge, AZ
      Technical canyoning trip - Devils Canyon, AZ
      In all cases the notebook was kept within easy reach (in the hat of
      my pack or in my shorts pocket) while hiking. Notes taken in the
      Extreme Journal were used to create trip descriptions for each of
      these hikes which were subsequently posted on my web site at:

      Despite all this use, the Extreme Journal is holding up well. Other
      than a bit of fading of the text on the cover and some dirt on the
      corners of the pages, the journal appears to be as good as new. One
      thing that I did notice is that, with repeated soakings, the ink
      from the ball point pen I had used to write most of my journal
      entries began to transfer to the page which is in contact with the
      ink when the journal is closed (an example is provided in the photo
      at left). While the original text is still legible (taking into
      account my less than stellar penmanship), it is now somewhat more
      difficult to read. This bleeding seems to be limited to the the ball
      point pen ink and was not observed in cases where a permanent marker
      was used.

      Writing Implements:
      Since most of my note taking had been performed with a ball point
      pen. I decided to determine how other writing implements compared
      with the pen for writing on the synthetic paper of the Extreme
      Journal. For this test I evaluated a standard ball point pen, a
      roller ball pen, a pencil, a crayon and a permanent marker. In each
      case the writing implement functioned smoothly to create a mark on
      the paper, with the exception of the crayon. The slick plastic of
      the paper did not seem to take the waxy mark of the crayon very
      easily. It required more force than would be required with normal
      paper and the resulting line was somewhat faint with several small
      crumbs of crayon stuck to the page. Despite this difficulty, in each
      case the resulting text was legible (as can be seen in the image,
      below left).

      The page was then placed under running water to determine the effect
      of moisture on the text. The ball point pen, pencil, crayon and
      permanent marker did not appear to be significantly effected by the
      water. The ink from the roller ball pen, however, immediately lifted
      off of the page (see photo, above right). A little bit of rinsing,
      quickly removed any evidence that the roller ball pen had ever been
      used on the paper (see photo, below left).

      With the paper was wet, I then tested which implement would write
      best on a damp page. Interestingly, the ball point pen and pencil
      wrote very well on the wet synthetic paper. The crayon only created
      a faint and barely readable line while the permanent marker simply
      didn't write at all. Not surprisingly, the ink from the roller ball
      pen smeared immediately upon contact with the water. My conclusion
      is that a pen or a pencil are best suited for writing in the Extreme

      I then set out to determine if the pencil line could easily be
      erased from the page. Using a normal eraser, I found the pencil mark
      erased similarly to what you would expect with a normal piece of
      paper (see photos above). The end result left a faint impression of
      the original pencil text, but it was sufficiently removed that text
      applied over this spot would prove to be legible.

      Does it float?
      Though the manufacturer does not advertise the claim, I have found
      that the Extreme Journal does indeed float when submerged in water.
      This could prove to be a very useful feature in the event the
      notebook were accidentally dropped in deep or murky water. Boaters
      and rafters in particular, might find this to be a significant
      benefit, not to mention those who venture into wet canyons.

      Overall, I am pleased with the performance of the Extreme Journal.
      Because of its durability it is suited to go many places that would
      not be possible with ordinary paper. Since it is completely
      waterproof, the notebook can be kept in a convenient location while
      hiking or canyoning, without having to worry about it being
      subjected to rain or water found in canyons. While I have
      experienced some smearing and bleeding when the journal became wet
      (particularly with the ink from a ball point pen), all the writing I
      have done in the journal to date has remained legible.

      The Extreme Journal lives up to its claim to be waterproof,
      tearproof and bloodproof.
      I'm able to keep the journal in a convenient location which allows
      easy access as I hike (in this case, the stow pocket on my hiking
      shorts) without having to be concerned about it becoming damaged.
      Despite being repeatedly drenched, flipped through and written on,
      the Journal still appears to be as good as new.
      It floats.

      Areas for Improvement:
      The reference material in the back of the journal (which includes
      tips and tables for various outdoor activities including: planning,
      first aid, survival, climbing and kayak ratings, wind chill
      conversions and even tips for building a snow cave), is mildly
      interesting, but of little practical use in my opinion. I would just
      as soon have this section removed and replaced with additional pages
      to write on.

      The ink from a roller ball pen washes right off the synthetic paper
      of the Extreme Journal. I would strongly discourage the use of a
      roller ball with this journal.
      It is not possible to write on the paper with a permanent marker or
      crayon when the paper is wet. I would not recommend these implements
      for writing if conditions are wet.