Reminder - Hot Chillys BioSilver Antimicrobial Tops...

  • BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2004

      Hot Chillys BioSilver Antimicrobial Tops Field Reports

      Date: Tuesday, January 6, 2004
      Time: 10:00PM CST (GMT+08:00)

      Hi

      The Hot Chillys BioSilver Antimicrobial Tops Field Reports are
      due on January 6, 2004. Please endeavour to complete your
      report by the due date.

      Thanks
      BGT Moderator Team
    • BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6, 2004

        Hot Chillys BioSilver Antimicrobial Tops Long Term Reports

        Date: Tuesday, April 20, 2004
        Time: 7:00PM CST (GMT+08:00)

        G'day

        The Hot Chillys BioSilver Antimicrobial Tops Long Term Reports
        are due on April 20, 2004. Please endeavour to complete your
        report by the due date.

        Thanks
        Andrew
        List Moderator
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2004
          This is a bit early, but I have GPS reports to read in a week or two and
          they might take a month to get through ;)Not to mention

          Hot Chillys Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt - Long Term Report
          April 6, 2004

          Thomas Vickers
          36 years old
          Male
          5 feet 11 inches tall (1.8 meters)
          170 lb (77 kg)
          redroach@...
          Southeast Texas, Houston Area
          Background:
          I grew up in the piney woods of Southeast Texas. Camping was a quick trip
          into the mosquito-infested woods behind the house. I started hiking in my
          college years and my style has evolved over the past 17 years - from my
          discovery, heavy gear, period (internal frame packs, sleeping bags and
          tents) to - believe it or not - heavier, more expensive gear. Over the last
          3 or 4 years, I have begun to take a lighter weight approach to hiking gear
          (I still use sleeping bags and tents, just lighter versions) and I have
          rediscovered the pleasure that can be involved in being outdoors with your
          gear. While I have flirted with lightweight hiking, I feel that I am more
          of a mid -weight hiker now. My philosophy is one of comfort, while carrying
          the lightest load possible
          Manufacturer's Details
          Website: www.hotchillys.com
          Style: 2233
          Weight: NA
          Sizes: S, M, L, XL
          Year of Manufacture: 2003
          Colors:White and Black

          Tester's Details
          Style: Long sleeve, zip neck, crew collared shirt
          Weight: 10 oz (289 g)
          Size: Medium
          Color: White

          Test Conditions:
          The testing has taken place in Southeast Texas in a variety of climatic
          conditions. The temperatures have ranged from 30 degrees F (-1 degree C)
          to 70 degrees F (21 degrees C). The precipitation has ranged from none, all
          the way up to a full downpour. Wind has varied from 0 mph (0 kph) to over
          20 mph (32 kph) during the testing time.

          Testing:
          The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt has been used as an under shirt to
          sleep in and as an outer shirt to hike, sit around camp, play disc golf, and
          generally be outdoors in. My test plan was simple: wear the shirt in a
          variety of conditions, with and without deodorant, wash it, and see what
          happened.

          As the test has progressed, I have experimented with wearing the shirt on at
          least 14 occasions between washings and again with 7 wearings versus one
          washing.

          Stains:
          The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt was proven to be easy to stain
          (what white shirt isn't?), but just as easy to clean. I have washed the
          shirt using standard detergent powder with no special stain treatments. Any
          food, ashes, or dirt on the shirt come out very easily. One thing I have
          also watched for are yellow stains that many of my white shirts develop in
          the arm pit area, but the Hot Chile's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt has yet to
          show any signs of this type of stain.

          I have never used a dryer to dry the shirt. I have air dried it after every
          wash or after it was wetted by sweat or rain. The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver
          Bi-Ply Shirt never takes more than one night to dry this way, which is
          very nice benefit of the shirt.

          Durability:
          I have worn the Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt while doing everything
          from sleeping to mowing the yard. It has not torn, ripped or developed any
          out of control snags while hiking. Wearing it under a pack has also not led
          to any pilling in the areas of the shirt that the pack rests against.
          Considering that I have probably worn it on at least 15 occasions with a
          pack, this is a very good sign.

          There are also no loose seems, stitching, or other signs of wear on the Hot
          Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt. Its overall construction has held up to
          heavy use without giving out.

          One thing that I like is that the shirt has not stretched out from my use.
          After washing it retains it original size and I have not deformed it in any
          way by pulling it off, stretching it, or anything else that threatens to
          stretch or break fibers in the fabric. It always snaps back to how it
          started without stretching out permanently.

          Odor:
          The selling point of the Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt is its ability
          to reduce odors. After the initial wash cycle I noticed that the Hot
          Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt tends to develop a body odor while wearing
          it, but removing the shirt and allowing it to air out removes the obvious
          body funk that I deposit on it.

          Even when I wore it on 14 days/occasions without washing, I noticed that the
          same held true. Prolonged wearing of the Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply
          Shirt led to it picking up odor from my body as I exerted myself. After
          the shirt was removed and aired for a couple of hours the odor dissipated.
          After several days, the Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt did not smell
          fresh after airing, but it did not stink. Most other synthetic shirts I
          have worn would have knocked me down after 14 days of wearing, but not the
          Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt.

          I don't feel that the Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt will completely
          prevent odors when worn with or without deodorant for extended periods on
          the trail, but it has not developed the reek of death that is permanent.

          Final Impressions:
          The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt turned out to be much more than I
          had ever expected. Its two ply construction made if far warmer than the
          normal long sleeved shirt that I carry during cold weather. While I never
          liked zip necked shirts in the past, I soon realized that the zipper on the
          Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt allowed me to vent better when I warmed
          up from weather or exertion. This alone makes the shirt very useful and
          allowed me to use it in a far wider range of temperatures than I would have
          expected.

          I also liked the fact that I could wear my normal hiking shirt during the
          day, wash it, let it dry, when I was in camp. The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver
          Bi-Ply Shirt allowed me to wear one shirt instead of depending on layering
          my day shirt with my long sleeved night/camp shirt to keep warm.

          The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt was also very comfortable to sleep
          in. I never felt constricted or bound up when sleeping in this shirt. Most
          importantly, after sleeping in it for several nights in a row, it did not
          stink bad enough to keep me awake.

          The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt maybe a luxury on the trail, but it
          is one I can recommend. I wore it under fleece, under jackets, and by
          itself in all kinds of conditions. It was constantly comfortable and most
          of all it lives up to its press. It smells much better than any other
          sythetic shirt I have worn on the trail after constant use. It isn't
          completely stink free, but it does keep the reek down.

          This shirt is going in my cold weather pack on a permanent basis. It does
          too much to leave at home or risk a combination of items doing its job less
          effectively.
        • BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 17, 2004

            Hot Chillys BioSilver Antimicrobial Tops Long Term Reports