EDIT:Gregory Robson pack:JAN

  • graham blamey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hi Jan, and thanks for this review. Nice job, you've covered most
      everything you need to and related it from your own experiences, which is
      good. Apart from the technical edits, which, once you've got the hang of,
      will carry forward to future reviews and tests, I have a few other assorted
      edits for you. In general, keep the review in the first person, so rather
      than saying '...you adjust the pack by...' you should say '...I adjusted the
      pack by...' or 'one adjusts the pack by...' or '...the pack can be adjusted
      by...'.
      Remember also, that our reviews are read all over the globe, which is why we
      need the metric conversions and we try to avoid expressions that may not be
      understood by some readers.
      Once you have completed the edits, post back with REPOST in the subject
      heading and I'll give you a folder to upload to, and if you have any
      questions contact me or the list and we'll give you all the help you need,
      Graham Blamey
      BGT Edit Moderator

      > Name: Jan Nicolaisen
      > Age: 40
      > Height: 6' 4" (190cm)

      ### you need a separation between numbers and units eg. (190 cm)

      > Weight: 175 lbs (80 kg)

      ### the abbreviation we use for pound/pounds is lb

      > Backpacking background: I was born and raised in Denmark, an utterly flat
      > place with absolutely no wilderness unless you take to the surrounding
      seas.
      > A craving for adventure sent me roaming the Alps in the early eighties. My
      > mountaineering background has carried over to my backpacks, which are
      > usually of the more exploratory and wild character.

      ### this might read better as '...carried over to my backpacking, which is
      usually...'

      >My experience range from
      > 'ultralight', 4-5 day trips to weeks of load schlepping as a guide. On

      ### this would read better as '...My experience ranges...' or '...My
      experiences range...' and '...load-hauling...' might be better (schlepping
      might be a colloquialism some people might not understand)

      > private trips I tend to avoid regular all trail hikes like the JMT or PCT,
      > because for me they lack the multi faceted challenges of cross country

      ### should be '...multi-faceted...'

      > endeavours. I have had adventures in many different locales, from

      ### '...localities...' would be a better word

      > Trollveggen to Yosemite, from the Alps to the Himalayas.

      ### you might want to write this as '...Trollveggen (Norway)...'
      Comment: The Troll wall .....awesome ... I'm impressed :-o

      >These days I spend
      > upwards of 50 nights in the backcountry a year.

      ### should be '...50 nights a year in the backcountry...'

      > Product description: This is a top loading backpack from Gregory's top of
      > the line Pro series, meaning that it's spacious (6150 cu.in/100 ltr),

      ### we write 100 liter as '...100 L...'

      laced
      > with bells and whistles and carries a hefty price tag. The Robson is
      > designed for expedition use, a type of outing few of us ever experience,
      so
      > lets consider this a big pack for folks that likes to carry alot on their

      ### should be '...like...' and '...a lot...'

      > It's not trying to attract to new ultra light crowd, as it's built from

      ### this would read better as '...trying to be attractive to a new,
      ultra-light crowd...'

      > rugged and hard wearing 500 denier cordura, with an even more bomber

      ### should be '...Cordura...' as it's a name

      > The Robson is only available in Sage, a pleasant low-key pale green,
      weighs
      > almost 8 lbs, and retails for around $450.00.

      ### should be '...almost 8 lb (3.6 kg)...' and '...and the MSRP is around
      $450.00...'

      > Why did I buy this pack: I needed something really big to replace the old

      ### should be '...Why did I buy this pack?...'

      > The Lowe pack that replaced it never quite
      > lived up the quality of past times, so I wanted to return to the fold and

      ### should this be '...Lowe-Alpine pack...'? and '...up to the quality...'

      > assuring 'click'. The adjustable suspension is simple and accessible. It's
      > bit intimidating though to start sorting through the maze of 3/4" webbing
      > that hangs all over this pack.

      ### should be '...3/4" (19 mm)...'

      > Pack adjustment: The only packs I ever had a hard time getting to fit me
      are
      > Mountain Smith and Dana. Gregory works for my body type and the Robson is

      ### this would read better as '...Gregory packs work for my...'

      > that the Pro Series doesn't have a lot of adjustment options. Two slots
      > less than an inch apart determines the limited possibilities for back
      > length. And that's it, besides the usual on-the-go straps, such as load

      ### should be '...determine...'

      > How did it work: I got the pack in June of this year and have used it on
      six
      > packpacks, totalling 42 days on the trail. It typically weighed around
      50-60
      > lbs, way below the packs maximum capacity, judging from how I felt at the

      ### should be '...backpacking trips...' and when you say '...It typically
      weighed around 50-60 lb...' I presume you mean the loads you carried with
      the pack, you need to clarify this. And you need to add the metric (23-27
      kg)

      > end of the day.
      > I like it. I was and still am a tad worried about the many rigid plastic
      > parts that make up the hipbelt/backstay interface. I knew they would be
      key
      > to supporting the load, but they looked a bit cheesy, sort of Wal-Mart
      like.

      ### can you rephrase this. 'Cheesy' is a bit too colloquial and 'Wal-Mart
      like' might not mean much to some people

      > That kind of stuff can break and would be next to impossible to repair in
      > the field. So far there's thankfully little sign of stress and they are
      > truly effective in transferring the weight to the hips. If i was going

      ###should be '...I...'

      > somewhere really remote I would check into either replacing them right
      > before the trip or bring spares.
      > The break in period to get beyond raw hips was less than three days on the

      ### should be '...break-in...'

      > trail. These discomforts could also be a function of early season softness
      > instead of the pack. On the trail the Robson rests firmly on my hips while
      > the top gently sways as I stagger along. When the terrain gets rough and
      > supreme balance is needed you pull a few straps tight and the load is
      > controlled and integral with your movements.

      ### should be '...needed, I pull a few...' and '...integral with my
      movements...'

      > The shape is sort of reverse pear, with the bulk of volume up high. This
      is
      > decidedly different than my previous packs and takes some adjustment in
      how

      ### should be '...different from...'

      > to pack the load. Be careful not to make the Robson too top heavy, because
      > the carrying comfort will quickly descend in that configuration. What

      ### should be '...I am careful not to ...' and '...diminish...' might be
      better than '...descend...'

      works
      > for me is to put both tent and sleeping bag in the bottom followed by the
      > bear cannister (the single heaviest item I carry) and then the rest. The

      ### I would spell this canister but it might be a US/UK thing, your call

      > As for ease of access and organisation it works fine. These details should
      > be secondary to the suspension system in your decision making, although

      ### should be '...in the decision making...'

      > that's typically the most visible selling points of modern packs. The
      > zippered bottom access is well designed even though I'd rather gone
      without

      ### can you just briefly elaborate as to why it is '..well designed...' and
      should be '...rather have gone without...'

      > See 'Customizing' below for comments on the many flashy features of this
      > otherwise fine rucksack.

      ### I think you should enclose this sentence in (....)

      > The few negatives: Yes, this thing is heavy. Empty it feels like you
      forgot
      > a couple of water bottles somewhere in its cavernous depths.

      ### how about '...a couple of full water bottles...' :)

      > The reverse pear shape gives your pole wielding arms plenty of room to
      swing
      > but it makes it hard to pack with a low center of gravity. This is
      > especially true if you got a really heavy, voluminous load.

      ### should be '...if you've got...'

      > There's no built in way of conveniently accessing a waterbottle. Maybe
      > everybody is using bladders these days,

      ### Could be. Is there any provision for a hydration system? and should be
      '...water bottle...'

      > Customizing: Optional! Proceed only after you're sure the pack won't go
      back
      > to the retailer.

      ### you should keep this to your actual experiences eg. '...I proceeded only
      after I was sure that the pack wouldn't go back to the retailer...'

      With the help of a sharp blade and a lighter I removed
      > almost 3 lbs of extraneous straps, buckles, shov-it pockets, daisy-chains,

      ### add metric (1.4 kg)

      > gear loops, flaps and fabric from the Robson. This measure does include
      the
      > top pocket which I never carry. I only reinstalled a set of wraparound
      > compression straps and the result is an extremely slick, simple pack of
      5lbs
      > 2oz, that works great. It is amazing what amount of clutter the

      ###add metric (2.3 kg)

      > manufacturers put on their products to give them the latest curp appeal.

      ### what's '...curp...'?

      ---