REPOST - Owner Review - Kelty Jet Stream Convertible Tent

  • ysd4evr
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2003
      Owner Review - Kelty Jet Stream Convertible Tent

      Tester Bio

      Name: Jason M. Dunster
      Age: 28
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 11" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 165 Pounds (75 kg)
      Email address: dunster@...
      City, State, Country: Denver, Colorado, USA
      Date: December 11, 2003

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking for the last eight
      years. Starting along the east coast, I backpacked in parts of MA,
      NH, and ME. Most of my east coast experiences were day hiking and
      easy overnights. Within the last three years, my experience has
      dramatically increased when I moved to Colorado. I have been lucky
      enough to expand my backpacking expertise to include multi-day trips,
      fourteen thousand foot peak bagging, ski/snowshoe excursions, and
      most recently an excursion through the White Rim Road in Canyonlands
      National Park, Utah. Terrain experience encompasses everything from
      fire roads, hated scree field romps, and glaciated summits. In
      February 2004, I am scheduled to climb Pico de Orizaba (18,405 ft.),
      (5610 m) in Mexico. I look forward to sharing my experiences with the
      BackPackGearTest family.

      "Gear not for gear's sake, but as an enabler."!! Author unknown

      Product Information

      Kelty Jet Stream Convertible Tent

      www.kelty.com

      Manufactured: 2001

      Hardtop packed weight: 9 lbs. 2 oz. (4.1 kg.)

      Soft top packed weight: 6 lbs. 13 oz. (3.1 kg.)

      Capacity: 2

      Number of Vents: 2

      Number of Doors: 2

      Number of windows: 2 (One on each side of vestibule)

      Number of Poles: 2

      Pole Material: DAC press fit

      Floor Dimensions: 58 X 92 in (1.47 m x 2.34 m)

      Maximum interior height: 42 in (1.07 m)

      Floor Area: 37.1 sq. ft. + 12.1 and 12.1 in vestibules (0.94 sq m +
      0.31 + 0.31)

      Packed Size: 8.5 X 28 in (0.22 x 0.71 m)

      Fly Material: Polyester Ripstop

      Canopy Material: Polyester Ripstop

      Floor Material: PU nylon taffeta

      Style: Dome

      I have used this tent extensively in Colorado and Utah during varying
      conditions. The tent has been set up in "cushy" park designated
      spots, rocky backcountry conditions, and hard snow. The tent has been
      exposed to temperatures from 0 to 90 F (-18 to 32 C), 40+ mph (64+
      kph) winds, torrential downpours, and up to 6 in. (15 cm) of
      overnight snow.

      I had performed an exhaustive research into two person, 3-4 season
      tents and selected this not widely known tent primarily because of
      the two access doors, dual large vestibules, hard/soft top fly
      selection, and price. Tents compared include: North Face Nebula
      Conversatile, Marmot Swallow, and Sierra Designs Meteor Light.

      The Kelty Jet Stream Convertible differs primarily from other
      manufacturers by offering two fly options. The soft top is comparable
      to a standard three-season fly. Both the soft and hard top fly touch
      the ground at all four sides.

      The hard top is of a thicker material and includes two additional
      poles that crisscross but in opposite direction to the tent poles,
      vestibule underskirts, and additional guy points making it acceptable
      for winter or extreme weather use.

      The tent is a typical dome style with crossing poles. The poles have
      rubber tips on one side and are inserted in continuous sleeves
      attached to the body of the tent. The sleeves dead end on one side of
      the tent to accept the rubber tips that eases tent assembly from a
      single side of the tent. This method aids in single person setup.
      Setup time for a single person with fly and full stakeout is less
      than 15 min.

      Both fly's attach to the tent with standard plastic buckle clips at
      the corners. Along the poles, Kelty uses plastic sliding clips to
      anchor the fly to the main tent poles with a proprietary system
      called "Fly Boy". Both fly's have a small triangular window and a
      hooded, zippered vent on each side.

      Dimensions for both fly's are virtually identical (The hard top's
      vestibule area is slightly increased from the added poles.)

      The two zippered "D" shaped doors are opposite each other along the
      long sides of the tent and have integral screens that can be zipped
      closed. The two zippered fly doors are arc type and are directly
      across from the tent doors in the main portion of the vestibule.

      Experience

      The soft top has performed flawlessly. Having camped with groups of
      people with comparable tents, I believe it to be equal on all fronts.
      The tent has remained dry in various types of wet conditions from
      snow to rain without any evidence of leakage. Moisture travels
      through mesh in the main body of the tent and vents on the vestibule
      body. In warmer temperatures that require the soft top fly, airflow
      through the tent is minimal. My highest accolades are reserved for
      the hard top. My winter experiences with the hard top have been
      amazing. The two extra poles used in the winter setup make this tent
      bombproof. Camping around the base of Long's Peak in Colorado,
      renowned for 40+ mph (64+ kmh) winds and outright nasty conditions,
      was an enjoyable experience due to the rigidity of this setup. In
      colder temperature air flow is less critical and I have not observed
      significant condensation buildup on the inside of the hard top fly.

      Multi-day trips with a companion tend to be much friendlier with dual
      doors and excellent vestibule space on each side. I find that two
      adequately sized vestibules to be essential and a frequently
      overlooked aspect of backpacking tent design. I find the tent to be
      the perfect size for two people to spend several nights camping. I
      have just enough room to sit up, store several items at my feet or
      head, perform typical tasks i.e. gear for next day, game of checkers,
      or read. Long storage pockets are available at the top of the bathtub
      floor approximately 6 inches off the ground on the non-door sides of
      the tent. In addition, smaller gear pockets are located at each
      corner of the tent at about mid-height. If you are used to car
      camping tents, plenty of space takes on a different meaning,
      nevertheless, this tent is small enough to conserve trapped heat in
      colder conditions and minimize weight in your pack.

      Miscellaneous

      Although I have not taken advantage of this feature yet, the tent
      comes with sleeve clips to use with only a ground sheet and the fly
      in nice weather, and an included gear loft! (It's just the little
      things right?)

      The photo chromatic windows on the two flys are more gadgetry but are
      not a hindrance either.

      Concerns

      The provided tent stakes for a +$300 tent are worthless. (To be fair
      many tents come with cheap stakes.)

      The hard top fly doors are less inclined than the soft top due to the
      additional poles, which lowers the door height. The lower door height
      makes getting out of the tent slightly difficult.

      The tent is no longer manufactured by Kelty but is available through
      mostly on-line retailers.

      Summary

      You really do get several tents from the Kelty Jet Stream
      Convertible. Ultimately because of this, it is an extremely good
      value. Although Kelty may not be typically associated with extreme
      mountain gear, I feel comfortable using this tent in any condition.

      Items added

      Kelty stakeout line with 3M reflective thread. (Ever trip over your
      guy lines at night and bust your melon. Ouch!)

      MSR Groundhog stakes. (Expensive but worth it if you have every
      turned a cheap tent stake into a makeshift corkscrew.)

      Accessory line on the four corners for rock staking when the ground
      is hard.