Re: Owner Review - Petzl Tikka Headlamp

  • Graham Blamey
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2003
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "SDMiddleton"
      <sdmiddleton@y...> wrote:
      > Petzl Tikka E43 P Ultralight Headlamp

      Hi Seth and welcome to BGT.

      Thanks for your Owner's Review. Do not worry if nothing happens with
      it for
      a few days. All our editors are volunteers and your report will be
      subject
      to an official edit within seven days. If you have not had a response
      from
      an Edit Moderator via the list within this timeframe, please let us
      know. (Please allow for the holidays ;)
      These
      edits and comments, while not official, should be considered
      carefully, and
      if you find them substantial, revise and re-post your review.
      Incorporating member edits and re-posting to the list will usually
      result in
      a better review, as well as making things easier for the official
      editor.
      Please put REVISED at the start of your re-post, if you take this
      route.

      If you are new to the BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the
      community! The
      editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to get
      your
      first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely manner. Once
      these
      first two Owner Reviews have been approved you will be eligible to
      start
      applying for Tests.

      the
      list or contact us directly.

      Regards
      Graham Blamey
      The Edit Moderator Team
      reviews and tests on the planet
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
        Hi Seth

        Thanks for your first Owner Review and welcome to
        BackpackGearTest.org. This is a very well written first Owner Review. Well
        done. I do have some policy edits for you and a couple of things that I
        would like you to comment on in your Review. Once you have addressed these
        edits/comments can you please repost your Review with REPOST - ANDREW in
        the subject line for your final edit and upload approval.

        Once again, welcome aboard.

        Andrew Priest
        Senior Edit Moderator

        At 05:21 AM 31/12/2003, you wrote:
        >Petzl Tikka E43 P Ultralight Headlamp

        EDIT:> Please add "Owner Review" to your title.

        >Height: 6'0" (182cm)
        >Weight: 180 Pounds (81kg)

        EDIT:> A couple of minor nit picks here. Normally there is a space between
        the numerals and abbreviation, e.g., 182 cm. Second, as you use
        abbreviations for three of the measures, replacing "pounds" with the
        abbreviation would be appropriate and consistent.

        >Product Information
        >
        >Listed weight with batteries: 70 g
        >Actual weight with batteries: 70 g

        <snip>

        >Illumination Distance: 10 meters

        EDIT:> Imperial measures as well please. See also previous comment on
        abbreviations.

        >The elastic band is approximately 2 inches in width and
        >can be adjusted to fit your head.

        EDIT:> Metric please.

        >I estimate the actual effective light distance to be
        >closer to 5 meters rather than the listed 10 meters and it is an
        >area light, not a point light.

        EDIT:> Imperial measures please.

        > For example, it would not be a great
        >light to use if you wanted to point out constellations in the sky at
        >night or shine out of your tent to see what that strange noise is,
        >coming from the direction of your bear bag (if your bear bag is
        >greater than 5 meters away… which it hopefully is if you're hearing
        >strange noises coming from it).

        EDIT:> BGT has a "no projection" policy in all Test Reports and Owner
        Reviews. This generally means writing in the first person and therefore
        avoiding words such as you or your etc. That said, the above needs tiding
        up in accordance with the policy. Also imperial measures are needed.

        >It allows you to climb, crawl, or duck-walk using both hands and seeing
        >freely with
        >the bright LEDs.

        EDIT:> See previous comment on projecting.

        >The batteries last a very long time… the headlamp did not dim until
        >after 10 trips or so (including once or twice when I accidentally
        >kept it on all night long).

        EDIT:> You need a space between "time" and the three full stops, i.e., "...
        very long time ...."

        Additional comments sought: Some comment on how easy it is to replace the
        batteries would be useful. Also have you any experience with the light in
        wet conditions? If so, comments on its effectiveness (waterproof, light
        disbursement etc) would also be useful.

        reviews and tests on the planet