Owner Review - Petzl Tikka Headlamp

  • SDMiddleton
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2003
      Petzl Tikka E43 P Ultralight Headlamp

      Name: Seth Middleton
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'0" (182cm)
      Weight: 180 Pounds (81kg)
      Email Address: SDMiddleton@...
      City, State, and Country: Louisville, KY, U.S.
      Date: 30 December 2003

      Backpacking Background: My first backpacking trip was probably when
      I was 12 or 13 years old and I've been hooked ever since (for the
      past 13 years). I generally attempt to keep my backpack fairly
      lightweight, but I'm not above bringing the extra comfort amenities.
      I mostly take weekend trips, with occasional longer trips. I've
      backpacked in many of the midwestern states and the Rockies, as well
      as the Adirondacks and the Appalachians. I normally hike in low
      altitude, hilly, woodland terrain.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Petzl
      Year of Manufacture: 2002
      Listed weight with batteries: 70 g
      Actual weight with batteries: 70 g
      Battery Type: 3AAA included
      Bulb Life: LED is reportedly nearly limitless
      Battery Life: None listed.
      Illumination Distance: 10 meters

      The Tikka headlamp comes in a plastic package with the headlamp,
      attached elastic headband, and the instruction pamphlet. The
      batteries are already loaded in the headlamp. To replace the 3
      necessary batteries, you must press the backside of the headlamp and
      open the battery compartment. To turn on or off, you must slide the
      switch directly above the actual light. The switch will only turn on
      or off, no intermediate settings (such as strobe, high, low, etc).
      The light is composed of 3 LEDs and they are angled down when the
      headlamp is worn. Or, I suppose you could wear the headlamp upside
      down with the lights angled up if you are climbing a tree at night
      or something like that, although I am not recommending that
      activity. The elastic band is approximately 2 inches in width and
      can be adjusted to fit your head.

      I've used the Tikka in over a dozen trips over the past year in many
      weather conditions and temperatures ranging from hot and humid to
      below freezing and even in the rain. I mostly use it around my
      campsite to see what I'm doing while setting up my tent, gathering
      wood, fixing dinner, or rummaging through my pack in the dark. I've
      found in these cases that the Tikka is extremely useful because it
      keeps both hands free and illuminates the area around me quite well.
      The band is wide enough so that the headlamp feels comfortable while
      I'm wearing it and I've adjusted the tightness of the band so that
      it doesn't leave a red mark across my forehead.

      The Tikka is the first LED light of any kind that I've owned and
      I've been very impressed with the light intensity at short
      distances. I estimate the actual effective light distance to be
      closer to 5 meters rather than the listed 10 meters and it is an
      area light, not a point light. For example, it would not be a great
      light to use if you wanted to point out constellations in the sky at
      night or shine out of your tent to see what that strange noise is,
      coming from the direction of your bear bag (if your bear bag is
      greater than 5 meters away… which it hopefully is if you're hearing
      strange noises coming from it). However, it is the best light source
      that I've found for use inside my 2 person tent at night. I simply
      place it face down on my mesh tent loft and it provides all the
      light I need for changing clothes, playing cards, or even reading.

      I've also used the light on 3 separate occasions while caving. I've
      found that the Tikka is a wonderful caving light. It allows you to
      climb, crawl, or duck-walk using both hands and seeing freely with
      the bright LEDs. It is also a very durable light since I've never
      had a problem with it even after accidentally hitting it (and my
      head) against a rock while caving, or even after dropping it in
      water once. Although this is definitely not the advertised or
      intended use for the Tikka, I have also used it to keep track of my
      dog at night. I simply put it loosely around her neck like a collar
      at night and then I can see her puttering around the campsite or
      down the trail. As a further example of its durability, my dog once
      chewed on it for a while (without my knowledge). She managed to open
      the battery compartment but after replacing the batteries and
      closing the compartment, the headlamp worked again like new. The
      batteries last a very long time… the headlamp did not dim until
      after 10 trips or so (including once or twice when I accidentally
      kept it on all night long). Replacing the batteries brings the light
      back to normal though.

      The Tikka headlamp is an excellent basic LED headlamp. It does not
      have some of the extra features that other headlamps may have like
      light adjustments, but it is a very solid design and multi-
      functional.

      Things I like:

      1. Bright light
      2. Durability
      3. Long lasting bulb and batteries

      Things I don't like:

      1. No light intensity adjustments
      2. No light angle adjustments
      3. Limited distance of light
    • Graham Blamey
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2003
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "SDMiddleton"
        <sdmiddleton@y...> wrote:
        > Petzl Tikka E43 P Ultralight Headlamp

        Hi Seth and welcome to BGT.

        Thanks for your Owner's Review. Do not worry if nothing happens with
        it for
        a few days. All our editors are volunteers and your report will be
        subject
        to an official edit within seven days. If you have not had a response
        from
        an Edit Moderator via the list within this timeframe, please let us
        know. (Please allow for the holidays ;)
        These
        edits and comments, while not official, should be considered
        carefully, and
        if you find them substantial, revise and re-post your review.
        Incorporating member edits and re-posting to the list will usually
        result in
        a better review, as well as making things easier for the official
        editor.
        Please put REVISED at the start of your re-post, if you take this
        route.

        If you are new to the BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the
        community! The
        editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to get
        your
        first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely manner. Once
        these
        first two Owner Reviews have been approved you will be eligible to
        start
        applying for Tests.

        the
        list or contact us directly.

        Regards
        Graham Blamey
        The Edit Moderator Team
        reviews and tests on the planet
      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
          Hi Seth

          Thanks for your first Owner Review and welcome to
          BackpackGearTest.org. This is a very well written first Owner Review. Well
          done. I do have some policy edits for you and a couple of things that I
          would like you to comment on in your Review. Once you have addressed these
          edits/comments can you please repost your Review with REPOST - ANDREW in
          the subject line for your final edit and upload approval.

          Once again, welcome aboard.

          Andrew Priest
          Senior Edit Moderator

          At 05:21 AM 31/12/2003, you wrote:
          >Petzl Tikka E43 P Ultralight Headlamp

          EDIT:> Please add "Owner Review" to your title.

          >Height: 6'0" (182cm)
          >Weight: 180 Pounds (81kg)

          EDIT:> A couple of minor nit picks here. Normally there is a space between
          the numerals and abbreviation, e.g., 182 cm. Second, as you use
          abbreviations for three of the measures, replacing "pounds" with the
          abbreviation would be appropriate and consistent.

          >Product Information
          >
          >Listed weight with batteries: 70 g
          >Actual weight with batteries: 70 g

          <snip>

          >Illumination Distance: 10 meters

          EDIT:> Imperial measures as well please. See also previous comment on
          abbreviations.

          >The elastic band is approximately 2 inches in width and
          >can be adjusted to fit your head.

          EDIT:> Metric please.

          >I estimate the actual effective light distance to be
          >closer to 5 meters rather than the listed 10 meters and it is an
          >area light, not a point light.

          EDIT:> Imperial measures please.

          > For example, it would not be a great
          >light to use if you wanted to point out constellations in the sky at
          >night or shine out of your tent to see what that strange noise is,
          >coming from the direction of your bear bag (if your bear bag is
          >greater than 5 meters away… which it hopefully is if you're hearing
          >strange noises coming from it).

          EDIT:> BGT has a "no projection" policy in all Test Reports and Owner
          Reviews. This generally means writing in the first person and therefore
          avoiding words such as you or your etc. That said, the above needs tiding
          up in accordance with the policy. Also imperial measures are needed.

          >It allows you to climb, crawl, or duck-walk using both hands and seeing
          >freely with
          >the bright LEDs.

          EDIT:> See previous comment on projecting.

          >The batteries last a very long time… the headlamp did not dim until
          >after 10 trips or so (including once or twice when I accidentally
          >kept it on all night long).

          EDIT:> You need a space between "time" and the three full stops, i.e., "...
          very long time ...."

          Additional comments sought: Some comment on how easy it is to replace the
          batteries would be useful. Also have you any experience with the light in
          wet conditions? If so, comments on its effectiveness (waterproof, light
          disbursement etc) would also be useful.

          reviews and tests on the planet