EDIT:Therm-a-rest Classic Full Length Pad:CAMILLA

  • graham blamey
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2003
      Hi Camilla and thanks for this, your second review. You will have a pretty
      good grasp of the process by now, having been through it with Andrew and
      survived, so I'm confident we can get this one done swiftly, without any
      problems. A lot of the tech. edits are similar to your first review and I'm
      sure you could do them now without my prompting :)
      Below are my edits and when you've done them, if you post back with REPOST
      in the subject heading, I'll give you a folder to upload to and you'll be on
      your way to testing gear,
      Graham Blamey
      BGT Edit Moderator

      > Therm-a-rest Classic Full Size Sleeping Pad

      ### you should title this 'Therm-a-rest Classic Full-length Pad - Owner
      Review'

      > Height: 5'3"

      ### you need to add the metric in here

      > Backpacking Background: I started backpacking when I was 15 years old. I
      started out with a weekend trip to a trail in southern Ohio. I loved it and
      went to the Appalachian Trail for 2 weeks with my father. Since I live in
      Ohio, I know very humid summers and dry winters. I like to learn about

      ### this might read better as '...In Ohio we have very humid summers and dry
      winters...'

      different areas and climates. I will be exploring central Florida in
      January. I consider myself a light packer (I even cut the strings off my tea
      bags). I usually hike hard, mid-mountainous environments.

      ### can you add a little about approx. how much backpacking/hiking you do.
      Once/twice a week/month/year?

      > Year of Manufacture: ~1998

      ### if you're unsure about this, head it '...When purchased...'

      ### we only need to have the link to the top level site, so delete
      '.../thermarest/...'

      > Listed Weight: 2 lb. 11oz. (42.33 oz , 1200 grams)

      ### it's not necessary to add the weight in oz here and the abbreviation
      for grammes is '...g...'

      > Weight as Delivered: 2 lb. 14 oz. (1.30 kg , 1304 grams)

      ### weight in kg is not necessary here

      > Inflated Size: 26.5" x 75" x 1.5" (2650 x 7500 x 150cm)

      ### Ahhhh..if only it were that easy :) but your conversion is a bit out
      here, it should be (67.3 x 190.5 x 3.8 cm) and it's usual to write
      dimensions as - Length x Width x Depth (thickness) (I'd appreciate it if you
      would check all your conversions)

      > This air mattress has a soft thermal foam on the inside and staytec fabric
      on the outside to prevent slipping.

      ### both sides, top and bottom?

      >This air mattress is different from most
      >others

      ### what most others? do you mean from closed cell foam pads? it's also
      similar to quite a few, a number of manufacturers now make self-inflating
      pads

      >because it has a self-inflating valve on the upper corner.

      ### not necessarily '...upper corner...', '...on one corner...' would be
      more accurate

      > To inflate, all you have to do is unroll the mattress, open the valve, and
      when
      >you are done inflating, close the valve.

      ### can you keep this in the first person here, rewrite it but not using
      '...you...'
      ### '...you are done inflating...' suggests that it's necessary to
      '...do...' something, so do you blow a few puffs of air into the matress, or
      leave it to it's own devices?

      > Field Testing:
      > My test took place at Burr Oak Lake, Ohio. The Burr Oak Lake Trail is a

      ### you shouldn't use '...Test/Testing...' in this context, as we reserve
      that title for actual tests
      ### is this the only occasion you've used the matress in the years you've
      owned it? it would be helpful to include a few more locations

      > My father bought me this sleeping pad for my first ever hike. The first
      night, my father and I were sleeping with just a rain fly from a tent at
      home. Of course, it suddenly started to rain. The fly kept us quite dry, and
      sleeping on the Thermarest pad kept my bag and me completely dry.

      ### should be '...Therem-a-rest...'

      >The bottom
      of the pad was wet, but, by the next night's sleep, it was completely dry
      and ready for use, to keep me from the still wet ground.

      ### did you do anything to aid or speed up the drying?

      > Preparing my bed was probably the easiest thing I had done that night. I
      rolled out my pad, loosened the vent, closed it when it was fully inflated,

      ### you should stick to referring to '...vent...' as '...valve...' and how
      do you know when it's '...fully inflated...'?

      >and put my sleeping bag on top. That was it!! The fact that it
      self-inflates
      is wonderful. Just open and close. Putting the mattress away was a breeze,
      too. Just open the valve, roll out the air, close the valve, and voila!

      ### no problem with using French, but you must have an accent on the a (if
      you can't find it on your keyboard then use another word or expression :)
      ### also, how do you personally prefer to roll and pack it? what's the way
      you've found works best? have you tried other ways? did it come with a stuff
      sack, if so do you use it? if not, how do you stop it unrolling?

      > I have used this on the Appalachian Trail also, and that's when the
      no-slip fabric came in handy. The very mountainous terrain seems to have no
      flat areas, but plenty of hills. Many nights, having to sleep on slight
      inclines, this no-slip fabric kept me on my pad all night.
      > I have had this pad for about five years now, and the pad has never had a
      hole, scratch, or any type of damage.

      ### so in the five years you have had the pad, what other ground have you
      used it on, rough pebbly, stony, snow, sandy, just need a little more
      'beefing-up' of your experiences using the pad

      > The one thing I would change about the pad would be to buy a slightly
      thicker pad, for extra comfort.

      ### that's not changing the pad, that's buying a different product (which is
      readily available). You can't criticise a product for not being another,
      different one. Having a thicker pad would bring penalties in terms of added
      weight and bulk; how does this fit in with your thinking?

      resistant, puncture resistant, and fills and empties quickly so as to save
      time. I am a light packer and this pad is perfect for lightweight packers,

      ### It might be perfect for you but are you sure you can speak for all
      lightweight packers here? (some might say that a 3/4 pad might be better, so
      what is it about this one that you feel makes it '...perfect...'?)

      >not to mention it is not bulky,

      ### why not mention it (which you have :) you need to re-phrase this.
      (Seriously, I know what you mean but if lack of bulk is a quality you think
      is important, then you should make more of it

      > so it fits perfectly on the outside of most
      >any pack.

      ### how do you know this and why is it important? Many backpackers resist
      carrying kit on the outside of their packs, so what would be important to
      them is how small it packed down to

      Thanks again Camilla,
      I look forward to reading your REPOST,
      Graham

      ---
    • Camilla Burke
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2003
        Graham,

        I hope this is okay. I added a part about caring for
        the pad and a bit about packing the pad. Send any
        other changes back to me. Thanks! ~cami~

        Owner Review-Therm-a-rest Classic Full Size Sleeping
        Pad

        Tester Bio:

        Name: Camilla Burke
        Age: 19
        Gender: Female
        Height: 5�3" (1.60 meters)
        Weight: 163 lbs (71 kg)
        Email Address: cami5432@...
        City/State/Country: Centerburg, Ohio (about 30 minutes
        from Columbus), USA
        Date: December 29, 2003

        Backpacking Background: I started backpacking when I
        was 15 years old. I started out with a weekend trip
        to a trail in southern Ohio. I loved it and went to
        the Appalachian Trail for 2 weeks with my father. In
        Ohio, we have very humid summers and dry winters. I
        like to learn about different areas and climates. I
        will be exploring central Florida in January. . I
        try and pack as light as possible, but consider myself
        a semi-light packer. I usually hike hard,
        mid-mountainous environments 3-4 times a year about 2
        weeks at a time.

        Product Information:

        Manufacturer: Therm-a-rest
        Year of Purchase: ~1998
        Listed Weight: 2 lb. 11oz. (1200 g)
        Weight as Delivered: 2 lb. 14 oz. (1304 g)
        Inflated Size: 75" x 26.5" x 1.5" (190.5 x 67.3 x 3.8
        cm)
        Rolled Size: 21" x 5" (53 x 12.7 cm)
        Style: Classic style full size mattress
        MSRP: $65.00 US

        Product Description:

        This air mattress has a soft thermal foam on the
        inside and staytec fabric on both sides to prevent
        slipping. This air mattress is easy to use because it
        has a self-inflating valve on one corner. To inflate,
        all I had to do is unroll the mattress, open the
        valve, and when I was done inflating, close the valve.

        Field Experience:

        Although I have owned this backpack for over four
        years, I will only mention a few of my experiences
        using it. One place I gained experience with this
        pack took place at Burr Oak Lake, Ohio. The Burr Oak
        Lake Trail is a short hike in Southern Ohio. The
        trail is relatively flat and has small hills that wind
        all the way around a lake, located in the center of
        the park. The weather included rain, high humidity,
        and sunny, clear conditions. The temperature stayed
        around 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit (18.33-21.11 degrees
        Celsius). I also used this pack at Front Royal, which
        is in West Virginia along the Appalachian Trail. The
        trail is all ups and downs and very mountainous
        terrain. The weather conditions were humid but no
        rain. The trail is mostly dirt and there is grass at
        times, but nothing treacherous.

        My father bought me this sleeping pad for my first
        ever hike. The first night, my father and I were
        sleeping with just a rain fly from a tent at home. Of
        course, it suddenly started to rain. The fly kept us
        quite dry, and sleeping on the Therm-a-rest pad kept
        my bag and me completely dry. The bottom of the pad
        was wet, but, by the next night�s sleep, it was
        completely dry and ready for use, to keep me from the
        still wet ground. I did not do anything else to aid
        or speed up the drying process, either.

        Preparing my bed was probably the easiest thing I had
        done that night. I rolled out my pad, loosened the
        valve, closed it when it was fully inflated. It takes
        about 10-15 minutes for my pad to fully inflate. The
        pad will look about 1.5 inches thick when fully
        inflated (for this size of pad). Sometimes, after my
        pad is to the point where I would consider it fully
        inflated, I blow a breath or two into the pad to
        ensure full inflation. This is not something I had to
        do, but it is easier to do this than guesstimate.
        That was it!! The fact that it self-inflates is
        wonderful. Just open and close. Putting the mattress
        away was a breeze, too. Just open the valve, roll out
        the air, close the valve, and voil�!

        I have used this on the Appalachian Trail also, and
        that�s when the no-slip fabric came in handy. The
        very mountainous terrain seems to have no flat areas,
        but plenty of hills. Many nights, having to sleep on
        slight inclines, this no-slip fabric kept me on my pad
        all night.

        Packing up this pad is pretty easy. All I had to do
        is open the valve and roll the pad as tight as I can
        get it from the opposite end of the valve (to push the
        air out). As I reached the end of the roll, I closed
        the valve and leave it closed as I re-roll the pad the
        same way as the first time. Then, as I neared the end
        again I open the valve to force out the excess air as
        I roll. This process makes the pad as compact as
        possible. The pad came with a bag with a patch kit on
        the inside of the bag. Just slip the compressed pad
        into the bag and tighten the drawstring. That is all
        there is to it.

        I have had this pad for about five years now, and the
        pad has never had a hole, scratch, or any type of
        damage. The pad comes with a bag with a small patch
        repair kit on the inside. When I am not using the
        pad, the instructions tell you to unroll the pad and
        leave the valve open and the pad flat out so the air
        can circulate through the pad. The pad "remembers"
        the way I leave it, so if I leave it in the open-valve
        position, then the pad will inflate faster after being
        rolled up than if I did not leave the pad open-valved
        and flat. Also, after use I always wipe my pad off
        with a cloth to remove any dirt that might be on the
        outside.

        Overall, I am very happy about my Therm-a-rest air
        mattress. It is slip resistant, puncture resistant,
        and fills and empties quickly so as to save time. I
        am a semi-light packer and this pad is ideal for
        lightweight packers who feel the 3/4" pad is not thick
        enough for total comfort. Plus, it is not bulky,
        which is important for many backpackers.

        --- graham blamey <gg@...> wrote:
> [...]
        > did it come with a stuff
        > sack, if so do you use it? if not, how do you stop
        > it unrolling?
        >
        > > I have used this on the Appalachian Trail also,
        > and that's when the
        > no-slip fabric came in handy. The very mountainous
        > terrain seems to have no
        > flat areas, but plenty of hills. Many nights, having
        > to sleep on slight
        > inclines, this no-slip fabric kept me on my pad all
        > night.
        > > I have had this pad for about five years now, and
        > the pad has never had a
        > hole, scratch, or any type of damage.
        >
        > ### so in the five years you have had the pad, what
        > other ground have you
        > used it on, rough pebbly, stony, snow, sandy, just
        > need a little more
        > 'beefing-up' of your experiences using the pad
        >
        > > The one thing I would change about the pad would

        === message truncated ===

        =====

        Ya Just Recieved an Email From Your Bestest in the Westest Buddy! ~Cami~

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2003
          --- Camilla Burke <cami5432@...> wrote:
> [...]
          > am a semi-light packer and this pad is ideal for
          > lightweight packers who feel the 3/4" pad is not
          > thick
          > enough for total comfort. Plus, it is not bulky,
          > which is important for many backpackers.
          >

          > --- graham blamey <gg@...> wrote:
          > > Hi Camilla and thanks for this, your second
          > review.
          > > You will have a pretty
          > > good grasp of the process by now, having been
          > > through it with Andrew and
          > > survived, so I'm confident we can get this one
          > done
          > > swiftly, without any
          > > problems. A lot of the tech. edits are similar to
          > > your first review and I'm
          > > sure you could do them now without my prompting :)
          > > Below are my edits and when you've done them, if
          > > you post back with REPOST
          > > in the subject heading, I'll give you a folder to

          === message truncated ===

          =====

          Ya Just Recieved an Email From Your Bestest in the Westest Buddy! ~Cami~

          http://photos.yahoo.com/