INITIAL REPORT: Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain Gaiters (Packcloth)

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2003
      Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain Gaiters (Packcloth)

      Initial Report
      January 6, 2004

      Personal Biographical Information

      Name: Andrew Priest
      http://aushiker.com
      Age: 44
      Sex: Male
      Email: aushiker@...
      Height: 180 cm (5' 11")
      Weight: 96 kg (212 lb)

      Location: Perth, Western Australia, Australia

      I have been hiking in Western Australia for approximately five years. For
      the past four years I have been regularly walking and now leading walks
      with the Perth Bushwalkers Club. These bushwalks range from all on-track to
      all off-track pack-carries. I consider myself as moving towards being a
      lightweight tent-carrying bushwalker with my pack base weight in the 8 to
      12 kg (18 to 26 lb) range. In 2003 I completed my End to End of the
      Bibbulmun Track. I have also end to ended the Cape to Cape Track and the
      Coastal Plains Walk Track.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Year of Manufacture: 2003
      MSRP: US$35.00
      Listed Weight: 199 g (7 oz) - Size not specified.
      Weight as Delivered: 189 g (7 oz) for size L as weighed on my Arlec
      digital scales.
      Length: Size L is 445 mm (17.5") in overall length, with the leg section
      approximately 305 mm (12'').

      Field Information

      Testing Location(s):

      The hiking environment of the South West of Western Australia allows for
      hiking and backpacking from coastal plains to forested ranges. Elevation
      ranges from 0 to 585 metres (0 to 1,920 feet). Within this region, I hike
      in varying conditions from forestry roads, to sandy tracks to
      single-purpose walking trails, to rock hopping, to beach walking to
      completely off-track walking through open and dense country.

      Weather Conditions:

      During the summer period, daytime temperatures average 30 C (86 F), whereas
      from March through to December the daytime average temperatures range from
      15 C to 26 C (59 F to 79 F). During the autumn (Fall), winter, and spring
      periods the normal weather pattern is fairly wet with frequent heavy
      rainstorms evident. It does not normally snow in Western Australia.

      According to The Times Atlas of the World (Concise Edition - Revised 1997)
      our weather is described as being "Mediterranean - rainy climates with mild
      winters, coolest month above 0° C (32° F), but below 18°C (64.4° F);
      warmest month above 10°C (50° F)." The atlas depicts the coastal area north
      of Los Angeles as having the same climate.

      Report Comments:

      Receipt of the Item:

      The Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain High "Packcloth" Gaiters where received
      in good condition. They shipped with a display card attached to the gaiters
      outlining the features of the product. Also shipped where some decals which
      included warranty information. The information on the card corresponds
      with the information provided on Outdoor Research's website with one
      exception. The graphic on the card reflects the construct of the Packcloth
      gaiters, whereas the website shows the Gore-Tex gaiter graphic incorrectly
      as being the Packcloth gaiter. With this one exception, the gaiters are as
      represented on the website and as I expected.

      First Impressions:

      Light! These gaiters are quite a bit lighter than the canvas gaiters that I
      normally wear (330 g verus 189 g - 12 oz verus 7 oz) so I am looking
      forward to hopefully more pleasant leg protection.

      The Rocky Mountain High "Packcloth" Gaiters are as described on the
      website. They are made of a oxford weave nylon material, called
      Packcloth. The leg section of the gaiter is uncoated Packcloth, which is
      meant to facilitate "increased" ventilation (as opposed to what is not
      clear). While the leg section is uncoated, it is subject to a Teflon HT
      Durable Water Resistant (DWR) treatment to assist in weather
      protection. The foot section of the gaiter is coated 8 oz Packcloth. That
      is, it is subject to a Urethane coating which is claimed to make the fabric
      waterproof.

      The gaiter is secured at the top with a strap and cam buckle arrangement.
      Running down the full length of the front of the gaiter is a 25.4 mm (1'')
      wide Velcro fastener. The bottom of the gaiters are edged with a
      non-adjustable elastic bottom. A nylon instep lace, 394 mm (15.5") in
      length is provided to secure the gaiter to the boot. Two brass eyelets are
      incorporated in the bottom edge to allow for tying on of instep lace.
      Finally a snap and hook is included at the bottom front of the gaiter to
      allow the gaiter to be hooked to one's boot or shoe lace and to stop the
      Velcro from peeling at the edge.

      Concerns/Comments:

      Outdoor Research makes a number of claims in respect of these gaiters.
      These claims and my initial response are outlined below. Where possible
      over the next six months I will put these claims to the test.

      * 25.4 mm (1") Velcro front closure - The Velcro front closure is described
      as providing easy access to socks and boot laces; making the gaiters easy
      to put on and combined with the elasticised bottom, they allow the nylon
      instep lace to be tied once to the correct fitting, therefore avoiding the
      need to re-tie with each fitment. Based on past experience with similar
      front closure gaiters I expect the claims to be true. I do however have
      some initial concerns about the length of the nylon instep lace. I suspect
      that I am going to be pushed to be able to fit these at a length which will
      allow me to fit these gaiters easily over my Scarpa Manta boots. Time will
      tell. I also have some concerns about the durability of the lace. That
      said, I am not so sure that the lace will be that critical anyway to the
      fit and use of the gaiters.

      * Uncoated Packcloth leg section - The uncoated leg section is designed to
      "increase ventilation" and to keep the wearer cool and comfortable. It is
      also treated with a DWR treatment to assist in weather protection. The
      gaiters are certainly light, but whether this will lead to increased
      comfort, only testing will tell. I plan to wear these gaiters on some
      summer walks as well as autumn (fall) and winter walks during the test
      period, therefore exposing them to a range of weather conditions.

      * Coated Packcloth foot section - The section of the gaiter is claimed to
      be waterproof and to provide maximum protection in keeping one's boots dry
      as possible in rain etc. I will hopefully be testing this claim in wet
      weather.

      * Strap and Cam buckle top closure - This design is claimed to be easy to
      use, even when wearing bulky hand wear; it is claimed to never slip and the
      nylon strap does not cut into the leg. As I don't wear bulky hand wear I
      will not be in a position to test the ease of use with bulky hand wear
      claim, however, I will be testing the general functioning of the strap and
      buckle. Initial impressions are that this is a small and fiddly buckle
      which is tight to close. Maybe with usage the buckle will loosen up.

      * Elastic bottom edge - Claims to create a tight seal against the elements
      and to confirm to a wide range of boot shapes. I will of course put the
      protection claim to the test and will try out the gaiters with a couple of
      types of footwear.

      * Hook and snap at bottom front - The gaiters have a snap at the bottom to
      keep the Velcro from peeling at the edge. I hope this works. Having
      endured this problem on my canvas gaiters, I look forward to putting this
      claim to the test. I will also be testing how well the hook stays in place
      during wearing.

      * Full protection - No further claims are made as to what "full protection"
      exactly entails, but I intend to put the gaiters to test in a number of
      on-track and off-track walking conditions and different weather conditions
      which will test the durability of the gaiter in aggressive bush and the
      ability of the gaiter to protect my legs against physical damage and to
      keep my footwear dry and clear of stones and twigs.

      Testing Strategy:

      During the test period I anticipate undertaking a number of weekend or
      longer backpacks and possibly some day walks in both track and off-track
      walking conditions and during a range of weather conditions from summer to
      winter weather (rain but not snow). I anticipate that this range of walking
      conditions will allow me to put the gaiters to an appropriate level of
      testing.
      reviews and tests on the planet

    • colonelcorn76
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
        Andrew,
        Daunting as it may be to edit the All Seeing Never Sleeping Lidless
        Eye of BGT, here's the edit. As is my normal practice, EDITs are
        required, Edits are suggested, and Comments are just that.

        Once you've taken care of the edits, please upload to BGT.

        Thanks,
        Jim

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest
        <apriest@b...> wrote:
        > MSRP: US$35.00

        ####Edit: Suggest a space before the $

        > Length: Size L is 445 mm (17.5") in overall length, with the leg
        section
        > approximately 305 mm (12'').

        ####EDIT: The inch indicator (") is inconsistent between these two --
        " and '', one should be used for consistency.

        > Testing Location(s):
        >
        > The hiking environment of the South West of Western Australia
        allows for

        ####EDIT: "Southwest"

        > 15 C to 26 C (59 F to 79 F). During the autumn (Fall), winter, and
        spring

        ####EDIT: "Fall" doesn't need to be capitalized anymore than winter,
        spring or summer do. (Uppercase refers to the Fall -- Adam & Eve's
        fall from grace.)

        > winters, coolest month above 0° C (32° F), but below 18°C (64.4°
        F);
        > warmest month above 10°C (50° F)." The atlas depicts the coastal
        area north

        ####Edit: Here's a nit, but in the previous 2 lines you sometimes
        precede the C for centigrade with a space and sometimes not.

        > Receipt of the Item:
        >
        > The Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain High "Packcloth" Gaiters where
        received

        ####EDIT: were received

        > in good condition. They shipped with a display card attached to
        the gaiters
        > outlining the features of the product. Also shipped where some
        decals which

        ####EDIT: were some

        > website. They are made of a oxford weave nylon material, called

        ####EDIT: an oxford

        > is, it is subject to a Urethane coating which is claimed to make
        the fabric

        ####Edit: Urethane doesn't need to be capitalized--it's not a proper
        noun.

        > Running down the full length of the front of the gaiter is a 25.4
        mm (1'')
        > wide Velcro fastener. The bottom of the gaiters are edged with a
        > non-adjustable elastic bottom. A nylon instep lace, 394 mm
        (15.5") in

        ####EDIT: Again, inconsistent inch marks (" and ' ') in the previous
        2 sentences.

        > length is provided to secure the gaiter to the boot. Two brass
        eyelets are
        > incorporated in the bottom edge to allow for tying on of instep
        lace.

        ####Edit: "for tying on of instep" is awkward, suggest "for tying
        the instep"
      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
          At 08:39 AM 02/02/2004, you wrote:
          >Andrew,
          >Daunting as it may be to edit the All Seeing Never Sleeping Lidless
          >Eye of BGT, here's the edit. As is my normal practice, EDITs are
          >required, Edits are suggested, and Comments are just that.
          >
          >Once you've taken care of the edits, please upload to BGT.

          Thanks for the edits Jim. I thought I had fixed my template and hence quite
          a few of your edits, but I guess not! The inches symbol problem appears to
          be a conversion issue as it is ok in the html copy. Anyway fixed and uploaded.

          Thanks
          Andrew
          reviews and tests on the planet