Reminder - Hot Chillys BioSilver Antimicrobial Tops...

  • BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2003

      Hot Chillys BioSilver Antimicrobial Tops Field Reports

      Date: Tuesday, January 6, 2004
      Time: 10:00PM CST (GMT+08:00)

      Hi

      The Hot Chillys BioSilver Antimicrobial Tops Field Reports are
      due on January 6, 2004. Please endeavour to complete your
      report by the due date.

      Thanks
      BGT Moderator Team
    • BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2004

        Hot Chillys BioSilver Antimicrobial Tops Field Reports

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2004

          Hot Chillys BioSilver Antimicrobial Tops Long Term Reports

          Date: Tuesday, April 20, 2004
          Time: 7:00PM CST (GMT+08:00)

          G'day

          The Hot Chillys BioSilver Antimicrobial Tops Long Term Reports
          are due on April 20, 2004. Please endeavour to complete your
          report by the due date.

          Thanks
          Andrew
          List Moderator
        • Thomas Vickers
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2004
            This is a bit early, but I have GPS reports to read in a week or two and
            they might take a month to get through ;)Not to mention

            Hot Chillys Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt - Long Term Report
            April 6, 2004

            Thomas Vickers
            36 years old
            Male
            5 feet 11 inches tall (1.8 meters)
            170 lb (77 kg)
            redroach@...
            Southeast Texas, Houston Area
            Background:
            I grew up in the piney woods of Southeast Texas. Camping was a quick trip
            into the mosquito-infested woods behind the house. I started hiking in my
            college years and my style has evolved over the past 17 years - from my
            discovery, heavy gear, period (internal frame packs, sleeping bags and
            tents) to - believe it or not - heavier, more expensive gear. Over the last
            3 or 4 years, I have begun to take a lighter weight approach to hiking gear
            (I still use sleeping bags and tents, just lighter versions) and I have
            rediscovered the pleasure that can be involved in being outdoors with your
            gear. While I have flirted with lightweight hiking, I feel that I am more
            of a mid -weight hiker now. My philosophy is one of comfort, while carrying
            the lightest load possible
            Manufacturer's Details
            Website: www.hotchillys.com
            Style: 2233
            Weight: NA
            Sizes: S, M, L, XL
            Year of Manufacture: 2003
            Colors:White and Black

            Tester's Details
            Style: Long sleeve, zip neck, crew collared shirt
            Weight: 10 oz (289 g)
            Size: Medium
            Color: White

            Test Conditions:
            The testing has taken place in Southeast Texas in a variety of climatic
            conditions. The temperatures have ranged from 30 degrees F (-1 degree C)
            to 70 degrees F (21 degrees C). The precipitation has ranged from none, all
            the way up to a full downpour. Wind has varied from 0 mph (0 kph) to over
            20 mph (32 kph) during the testing time.

            Testing:
            The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt has been used as an under shirt to
            sleep in and as an outer shirt to hike, sit around camp, play disc golf, and
            generally be outdoors in. My test plan was simple: wear the shirt in a
            variety of conditions, with and without deodorant, wash it, and see what
            happened.

            As the test has progressed, I have experimented with wearing the shirt on at
            least 14 occasions between washings and again with 7 wearings versus one
            washing.

            Stains:
            The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt was proven to be easy to stain
            (what white shirt isn't?), but just as easy to clean. I have washed the
            shirt using standard detergent powder with no special stain treatments. Any
            food, ashes, or dirt on the shirt come out very easily. One thing I have
            also watched for are yellow stains that many of my white shirts develop in
            the arm pit area, but the Hot Chile's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt has yet to
            show any signs of this type of stain.

            I have never used a dryer to dry the shirt. I have air dried it after every
            wash or after it was wetted by sweat or rain. The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver
            Bi-Ply Shirt never takes more than one night to dry this way, which is
            very nice benefit of the shirt.

            Durability:
            I have worn the Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt while doing everything
            from sleeping to mowing the yard. It has not torn, ripped or developed any
            out of control snags while hiking. Wearing it under a pack has also not led
            to any pilling in the areas of the shirt that the pack rests against.
            Considering that I have probably worn it on at least 15 occasions with a
            pack, this is a very good sign.

            There are also no loose seems, stitching, or other signs of wear on the Hot
            Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt. Its overall construction has held up to
            heavy use without giving out.

            One thing that I like is that the shirt has not stretched out from my use.
            After washing it retains it original size and I have not deformed it in any
            way by pulling it off, stretching it, or anything else that threatens to
            stretch or break fibers in the fabric. It always snaps back to how it
            started without stretching out permanently.

            Odor:
            The selling point of the Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt is its ability
            to reduce odors. After the initial wash cycle I noticed that the Hot
            Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt tends to develop a body odor while wearing
            it, but removing the shirt and allowing it to air out removes the obvious
            body funk that I deposit on it.

            Even when I wore it on 14 days/occasions without washing, I noticed that the
            same held true. Prolonged wearing of the Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply
            Shirt led to it picking up odor from my body as I exerted myself. After
            the shirt was removed and aired for a couple of hours the odor dissipated.
            After several days, the Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt did not smell
            fresh after airing, but it did not stink. Most other synthetic shirts I
            have worn would have knocked me down after 14 days of wearing, but not the
            Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt.

            I don't feel that the Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt will completely
            prevent odors when worn with or without deodorant for extended periods on
            the trail, but it has not developed the reek of death that is permanent.

            Final Impressions:
            The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt turned out to be much more than I
            had ever expected. Its two ply construction made if far warmer than the
            normal long sleeved shirt that I carry during cold weather. While I never
            liked zip necked shirts in the past, I soon realized that the zipper on the
            Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt allowed me to vent better when I warmed
            up from weather or exertion. This alone makes the shirt very useful and
            allowed me to use it in a far wider range of temperatures than I would have
            expected.

            I also liked the fact that I could wear my normal hiking shirt during the
            day, wash it, let it dry, when I was in camp. The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver
            Bi-Ply Shirt allowed me to wear one shirt instead of depending on layering
            my day shirt with my long sleeved night/camp shirt to keep warm.

            The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt was also very comfortable to sleep
            in. I never felt constricted or bound up when sleeping in this shirt. Most
            importantly, after sleeping in it for several nights in a row, it did not
            stink bad enough to keep me awake.

            The Hot Chilly's Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt maybe a luxury on the trail, but it
            is one I can recommend. I wore it under fleece, under jackets, and by
            itself in all kinds of conditions. It was constantly comfortable and most
            of all it lives up to its press. It smells much better than any other
            sythetic shirt I have worn on the trail after constant use. It isn't
            completely stink free, but it does keep the reek down.

            This shirt is going in my cold weather pack on a permanent basis. It does
            too much to leave at home or risk a combination of items doing its job less
            effectively.
          • BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 17, 2004

              Hot Chillys BioSilver Antimicrobial Tops Long Term Reports