RE: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Anybody else think that snowshoes should be called snowsandals?

  • Chief Moderator
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
      That would be on RacingGearTest.org......... ;o)
      Jerry

      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :
      the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
        The Tubbs Snowshoe Test Call will close tonight at midnight, CST.

        I'm stuck on webmail today, so I'll catch up on everything tonight and post
        the Test Call Status Report.

        Shane
      • Michael Doughty
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003

          > No. But I would be willing to call call tubb's two racing models at
          > nearly a pound lighter snowsandals:
          > http://www.tubbssnowshoes.com/piranha.php
          > Any chance of getting a some of the two racing models for testing
          some
          > time?

          $399.00? That's Pricey!!

          woe.
        • Pat Christian
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 9, 2003
            And since they are lighter, shouldn't they be less expensive? I always
            thought the same thing in women's clothing. Sometimes it seems the
            skimpiest wear seems to have the more pricey tags. Go figure.

            But a real thing to think about with snowshoes is the use you will put
            them to. Notice that you buy some models by the weight of the user. So
            what does that mean? I think that at 155 lbs I have to think if I will
            be using them with only my winter wear, boots, jacket, etc. that puts
            me more like 164lbs, or will I be using them on a heavier day or even
            heavier overnight hike with a 10-15 lbs. day or 20-55 lbs overnight
            pack. If I was going to be hiking with a 30 lbs. pack I would need
            snowshoes designed for a 194 lbs. man wouldn't I? I think it is the
            same consideration when choosing backcountry skis isn't it? With
            snowshoes and skis (OK cross country split snowboards too) floatation
            and anti-sink are effects of weight on top of the devise relative to
            square inches of the devise, isn't it?

            pat