Re: [BackpackGearTest] Re: MSR MIOX Purifier

  • Clifford R. Haynes
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
      Quote from MSR's web page follows:
      The MIOX® Purifier represents a revolution in water treatment. It's
      ultralight, compact, and easy to use-with no pumping, maintenance, or iodine
      required.

      a.. No pumping required
      Just add water, shake, and press a button.
      b.. Purifies water without iodine
      No health risk or unpleasant iodine taste.
      c.. Great for large volumes of water
      Perfect for groups or extended trips.
      d.. Ultralight and compact
      Fits in your pocket to go anywhere.
      e.. Reliable purification
      Inactivates all viruses, bacteria, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium.
      Dwell times
      Viruses, bacteria: 15 min.
      Giardia: 30 min.
      Cryptosporidium: 4 hrs.

      Weight
      Pen: 3.5 oz./99 g
      Kit: 8 oz./227 g

      Kit includes
      MIOX® Purifier, salt, batteries, safety-indicator strips, instruction
      booklet, quick-reference card, and storage sack.

      Available October
    • Clifford R. Haynes
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
        A bit more about MIOX from http://www.snewsnet.com/cgi-bin/snews/01260.html

        You can press the button multiple times to purify larger volumes, up to 4
        liters

        Another benefit is that the treatment does not alter the taste of the water
        like chlorine and iodine do.

        Obviously, one drawback is that you still need to filter the water to remove
        particulate matter (we expect MSR to come out with a very small and simple
        filter before too long to address this need). Plus, the unit runs on a
        3-volt photo battery

        Just Google MSR MIOX there is lots of info out there

        Rocky
      • Andy Mytys
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
          The Miox pen does not hold the water being purified. A very small
          amount of brine (salt water) undergoes electrolysis, and is turned
          into mixed oxidants. This mixture is added to a water carrier of your
          choice in 1/2, 1, 2, or 4 liter concentrations. You can treat 10
          liters of water with about 1 minute of fiddling:

          1) filling the cap
          2) shaking to mix the salt and water
          3) pushing a button
          4) waiting 15 seconds
          5) pouring out your mixture, repeating two more times.

          You then wait depending upon what you are purifying against. For
          most applications (Giardia and such), this means 15 minutes.

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <bj@t...> wrote:
          > 16 oz at a time? That can't be right, that pretty much sucks! Plus
          > it takes 4 hours purify it totally. The water tabs only take 20
          > mins, I think I will take my chances with the tabs and a good
          filter.

          > Brian
          >
          > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "nazdarovye"
          > <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
          > > Ugh. Make that "produces a solution to purify 16 oz of water at a
          > time."
        • Chief Moderator
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
            They distribute them at the OR Show. I got mine last August.
            Jerry

            <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :
            the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
              They're out on the racks at the Seattle REI. I took one out of the
              box and played with it at length there some three weekends ago. They
              had plenty in stock, and I was pleasantly surprised to see them out
              where you could get at them, rather than behind a glass case.

              Anyway, it's probably simplest to think of the Miox as a tiny on-site
              chemical treatment plant. It would seem that the solution generated
              is similar, if not identical to the more familiar Aqua Mira/Pristine,
              only instead of mixing two reagents you add water and push a button.
              Is it worth it? That's for folks to decide for themselves. In size
              and heft it's equivalent to an all-plastic 2xAA flashlight, larger
              than a pair of bottles, smaller than any filter.

              For those fixated on the 4-hour time, remember that it's the worst-
              case spec for crypto, and in that regard is no different than that
              for ClO2. If you know for a fact that you need to treat for crypto, a
              filter or the UV gizmo are probably your only logical choices. Iodine
              is ineffective.

              --Rick

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Doughty"
              <woebegone03@h...> wrote:
              > I don't believe the 2004 catalog is out yet. I usually get then
              > pretty promptly. It'll be interesting to see what the printed
              catalog
              > has to say about them, but I've found that the MSR catalogs and
              > website is pretty thin on details. I'm told that MSR is having a
              hard
              > time getting the MIOX out the door.
              >
              > woe.
            • Michael Doughty
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                If anyone would like to look at the MIOX instruction sheet...

                http://tinyurl.com/x8qs

                woe.

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "redbike64"