Re: MSR MIOX Purifier

  • Michael Doughty
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
      I don't believe the 2004 catalog is out yet. I usually get then
      pretty promptly. It'll be interesting to see what the printed catalog
      has to say about them, but I've found that the MSR catalogs and
      website is pretty thin on details. I'm told that MSR is having a hard
      time getting the MIOX out the door.

      woe.

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator"
      <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
      > I can't seem to lay my hands on my 2004 MSR catalog (if you've ever
      seen
      > my office, you're not surprised) so I guess I can't be of much help
      on
      > this one.
      > Jerry
      >

      > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/>
      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :
      > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the
      planet.

      Plus
      > > it takes 4 hours purify it totally. The water tabs only take 20
      > > mins, I think I will take my chances with the tabs and a good
      filter.

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c9kpsjm/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=
      eg

      roupweb/S=1705066005:HM/EXP=1070349326/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netfl
      ix
      > .com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732> click here
      >
      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou
      > pmail/S=:HM/A=1853619/rand=763390568>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Clifford R. Haynes
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
        Quote from MSR's web page follows:
        The MIOX® Purifier represents a revolution in water treatment. It's
        ultralight, compact, and easy to use-with no pumping, maintenance, or iodine
        required.

        a.. No pumping required
        Just add water, shake, and press a button.
        b.. Purifies water without iodine
        No health risk or unpleasant iodine taste.
        c.. Great for large volumes of water
        Perfect for groups or extended trips.
        d.. Ultralight and compact
        Fits in your pocket to go anywhere.
        e.. Reliable purification
        Inactivates all viruses, bacteria, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium.
        Dwell times
        Viruses, bacteria: 15 min.
        Giardia: 30 min.
        Cryptosporidium: 4 hrs.

        Weight
        Pen: 3.5 oz./99 g
        Kit: 8 oz./227 g

        Kit includes
        MIOX® Purifier, salt, batteries, safety-indicator strips, instruction
        booklet, quick-reference card, and storage sack.

        Available October
      • Clifford R. Haynes
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
          A bit more about MIOX from http://www.snewsnet.com/cgi-bin/snews/01260.html

          You can press the button multiple times to purify larger volumes, up to 4
          liters

          Another benefit is that the treatment does not alter the taste of the water
          like chlorine and iodine do.

          Obviously, one drawback is that you still need to filter the water to remove
          particulate matter (we expect MSR to come out with a very small and simple
          filter before too long to address this need). Plus, the unit runs on a
          3-volt photo battery

          Just Google MSR MIOX there is lots of info out there

          Rocky
        • Andy Mytys
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
            The Miox pen does not hold the water being purified. A very small
            amount of brine (salt water) undergoes electrolysis, and is turned
            into mixed oxidants. This mixture is added to a water carrier of your
            choice in 1/2, 1, 2, or 4 liter concentrations. You can treat 10
            liters of water with about 1 minute of fiddling:

            1) filling the cap
            2) shaking to mix the salt and water
            3) pushing a button
            4) waiting 15 seconds
            5) pouring out your mixture, repeating two more times.

            You then wait depending upon what you are purifying against. For
            most applications (Giardia and such), this means 15 minutes.

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <bj@t...> wrote:
            > 16 oz at a time? That can't be right, that pretty much sucks! Plus
            > it takes 4 hours purify it totally. The water tabs only take 20
            > mins, I think I will take my chances with the tabs and a good
            filter.

            > Brian
            >
            > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "nazdarovye"
            > <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
            > > Ugh. Make that "produces a solution to purify 16 oz of water at a
            > time."
          • Chief Moderator
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
              They distribute them at the OR Show. I got mine last August.
              Jerry

              <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :

              <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
              > I can't seem to lay my hands on my 2004 MSR catalog (if you've ever
              seen
              > my office, you're not surprised) so I guess I can't be of much help
              on
              > this one.
              > Jerry
              >

              > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/>
              http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :
              > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the
              planet.

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c21sjn8/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=eg
              roupweb/S=1705066005:HM/EXP=1070361976/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix
              .com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou
              pmail/S=:HM/A=1853619/rand=635365440>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • redbike64
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                They're out on the racks at the Seattle REI. I took one out of the
                box and played with it at length there some three weekends ago. They
                had plenty in stock, and I was pleasantly surprised to see them out
                where you could get at them, rather than behind a glass case.

                Anyway, it's probably simplest to think of the Miox as a tiny on-site
                chemical treatment plant. It would seem that the solution generated
                is similar, if not identical to the more familiar Aqua Mira/Pristine,
                only instead of mixing two reagents you add water and push a button.
                Is it worth it? That's for folks to decide for themselves. In size
                and heft it's equivalent to an all-plastic 2xAA flashlight, larger
                than a pair of bottles, smaller than any filter.

                For those fixated on the 4-hour time, remember that it's the worst-
                case spec for crypto, and in that regard is no different than that
                for ClO2. If you know for a fact that you need to treat for crypto, a
                filter or the UV gizmo are probably your only logical choices. Iodine
                is ineffective.

                --Rick

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Doughty"
                <woebegone03@h...> wrote:
                > I don't believe the 2004 catalog is out yet. I usually get then
                > pretty promptly. It'll be interesting to see what the printed
                catalog
                > has to say about them, but I've found that the MSR catalogs and
                > website is pretty thin on details. I'm told that MSR is having a
                hard
                > time getting the MIOX out the door.
                >
                > woe.
              • Michael Doughty
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                  If anyone would like to look at the MIOX instruction sheet...

                  http://tinyurl.com/x8qs

                  woe.

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "redbike64"