RE: [BackpackGearTest] Re: MSR MIOX Purifier

  • Chief Moderator
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
      I can't seem to lay my hands on my 2004 MSR catalog (if you've ever seen
      my office, you're not surprised) so I guess I can't be of much help on
      this one.
      Jerry

      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :
      the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
        I don't believe the 2004 catalog is out yet. I usually get then
        pretty promptly. It'll be interesting to see what the printed catalog
        has to say about them, but I've found that the MSR catalogs and
        website is pretty thin on details. I'm told that MSR is having a hard
        time getting the MIOX out the door.

        woe.

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator"
        <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
        > I can't seem to lay my hands on my 2004 MSR catalog (if you've ever
        seen
        > my office, you're not surprised) so I guess I can't be of much help
        on
        > this one.
        > Jerry
        >

        > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/>
        http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :
        > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the
        planet.

      • Clifford R. Haynes
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
          Quote from MSR's web page follows:
          The MIOX® Purifier represents a revolution in water treatment. It's
          ultralight, compact, and easy to use-with no pumping, maintenance, or iodine
          required.

          a.. No pumping required
          Just add water, shake, and press a button.
          b.. Purifies water without iodine
          No health risk or unpleasant iodine taste.
          c.. Great for large volumes of water
          Perfect for groups or extended trips.
          d.. Ultralight and compact
          Fits in your pocket to go anywhere.
          e.. Reliable purification
          Inactivates all viruses, bacteria, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium.
          Dwell times
          Viruses, bacteria: 15 min.
          Giardia: 30 min.
          Cryptosporidium: 4 hrs.

          Weight
          Pen: 3.5 oz./99 g
          Kit: 8 oz./227 g

          Kit includes
          MIOX® Purifier, salt, batteries, safety-indicator strips, instruction
          booklet, quick-reference card, and storage sack.

          Available October
        • Clifford R. Haynes
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
            A bit more about MIOX from http://www.snewsnet.com/cgi-bin/snews/01260.html

            You can press the button multiple times to purify larger volumes, up to 4
            liters

            Another benefit is that the treatment does not alter the taste of the water
            like chlorine and iodine do.

            Obviously, one drawback is that you still need to filter the water to remove
            particulate matter (we expect MSR to come out with a very small and simple
            filter before too long to address this need). Plus, the unit runs on a
            3-volt photo battery

            Just Google MSR MIOX there is lots of info out there

            Rocky
          • Andy Mytys
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
              The Miox pen does not hold the water being purified. A very small
              amount of brine (salt water) undergoes electrolysis, and is turned
              into mixed oxidants. This mixture is added to a water carrier of your
              choice in 1/2, 1, 2, or 4 liter concentrations. You can treat 10
              liters of water with about 1 minute of fiddling:

              1) filling the cap
              2) shaking to mix the salt and water
              3) pushing a button
              4) waiting 15 seconds
              5) pouring out your mixture, repeating two more times.

              You then wait depending upon what you are purifying against. For
              most applications (Giardia and such), this means 15 minutes.

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <bj@t...> wrote:
              > 16 oz at a time? That can't be right, that pretty much sucks! Plus
              > it takes 4 hours purify it totally. The water tabs only take 20
              > mins, I think I will take my chances with the tabs and a good
              filter.

              > Brian
              >
              > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "nazdarovye"
              > <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
              > > Ugh. Make that "produces a solution to purify 16 oz of water at a
              > time."
            • Chief Moderator
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                They distribute them at the OR Show. I got mine last August.

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c21sjn8/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=eg
                roupweb/S=1705066005:HM/EXP=1070361976/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix
                .com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732> click here

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou
                pmail/S=:HM/A=1853619/rand=635365440>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • redbike64
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                  They're out on the racks at the Seattle REI. I took one out of the
                  box and played with it at length there some three weekends ago. They
                  had plenty in stock, and I was pleasantly surprised to see them out
                  where you could get at them, rather than behind a glass case.

                  Anyway, it's probably simplest to think of the Miox as a tiny on-site
                  chemical treatment plant. It would seem that the solution generated
                  is similar, if not identical to the more familiar Aqua Mira/Pristine,
                  only instead of mixing two reagents you add water and push a button.
                  Is it worth it? That's for folks to decide for themselves. In size
                  and heft it's equivalent to an all-plastic 2xAA flashlight, larger
                  than a pair of bottles, smaller than any filter.

                  For those fixated on the 4-hour time, remember that it's the worst-
                  case spec for crypto, and in that regard is no different than that
                  for ClO2. If you know for a fact that you need to treat for crypto, a
                  filter or the UV gizmo are probably your only logical choices. Iodine
                  is ineffective.

                  --Rick

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Doughty"
                  <woebegone03@h...> wrote:
                  > I don't believe the 2004 catalog is out yet. I usually get then
                  > pretty promptly. It'll be interesting to see what the printed
                  catalog
                  > has to say about them, but I've found that the MSR catalogs and
                  > website is pretty thin on details. I'm told that MSR is having a
                  hard
                  > time getting the MIOX out the door.
                  >
                  > woe.
                • Michael Doughty
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                    If anyone would like to look at the MIOX instruction sheet...

                    http://tinyurl.com/x8qs

                    woe.

                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "redbike64"