Re: MSR MIOX Purifier

  • nazdarovye
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 30, 2003
      And, I may stand corrected on this one - I went back and carefully
      read the thread that stated this, and it appears that this specific
      comment was about the Steri-pen, NOT the MIOX. Sorry about that. The
      Steri-pen uses UV to purify water, and is recommended for 16 oz at a
      time, with a max of 32 oz.

      If anyone has a MIOX, perhaps they can shed further light on what
      amount of water it can purify with one dose.

      - Steve

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <bj@t...> wrote:
      > 16 oz at a time? That can't be right, that pretty much sucks! Plus
      > it takes 4 hours purify it totally. The water tabs only take 20
      > mins, I think I will take my chances with the tabs and a good filter.
    • Chief Moderator
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
        I can't seem to lay my hands on my 2004 MSR catalog (if you've ever seen
        my office, you're not surprised) so I guess I can't be of much help on
        this one.
        Jerry

        <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :
        the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

        And, I may stand corrected on this one - I went back and carefully
        read the thread that stated this, and it appears that this specific
        comment was about the Steri-pen, NOT the MIOX. Sorry about that. The
        Steri-pen uses UV to purify water, and is recommended for 16 oz at a
        time, with a max of 32 oz.

        If anyone has a MIOX, perhaps they can shed further light on what
        amount of water it can purify with one dose.

        - Steve

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <bj@t...> wrote:
        > 16 oz at a time? That can't be right, that pretty much sucks! Plus
        > it takes 4 hours purify it totally. The water tabs only take 20
        > mins, I think I will take my chances with the tabs and a good filter.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c9kpsjm/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=eg
        roupweb/S=1705066005:HM/EXP=1070349326/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix
        .com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1853619/rand=763390568>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Michael Doughty
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
          I don't believe the 2004 catalog is out yet. I usually get then
          pretty promptly. It'll be interesting to see what the printed catalog
          has to say about them, but I've found that the MSR catalogs and
          website is pretty thin on details. I'm told that MSR is having a hard
          time getting the MIOX out the door.

          woe.

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator"
          <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
          > I can't seem to lay my hands on my 2004 MSR catalog (if you've ever
          seen
          > my office, you're not surprised) so I guess I can't be of much help
          on
          > this one.
          > Jerry
          >

          > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/>
          http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :
          > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the
          planet.

        • Clifford R. Haynes
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
            Quote from MSR's web page follows:
            The MIOX® Purifier represents a revolution in water treatment. It's
            ultralight, compact, and easy to use-with no pumping, maintenance, or iodine
            required.

            a.. No pumping required
            Just add water, shake, and press a button.
            b.. Purifies water without iodine
            No health risk or unpleasant iodine taste.
            c.. Great for large volumes of water
            Perfect for groups or extended trips.
            d.. Ultralight and compact
            Fits in your pocket to go anywhere.
            e.. Reliable purification
            Inactivates all viruses, bacteria, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium.
            Dwell times
            Viruses, bacteria: 15 min.
            Giardia: 30 min.
            Cryptosporidium: 4 hrs.

            Weight
            Pen: 3.5 oz./99 g
            Kit: 8 oz./227 g

            Kit includes
            MIOX® Purifier, salt, batteries, safety-indicator strips, instruction
            booklet, quick-reference card, and storage sack.

            Available October
          • Clifford R. Haynes
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
              A bit more about MIOX from http://www.snewsnet.com/cgi-bin/snews/01260.html

              You can press the button multiple times to purify larger volumes, up to 4
              liters

              Another benefit is that the treatment does not alter the taste of the water
              like chlorine and iodine do.

              Obviously, one drawback is that you still need to filter the water to remove
              particulate matter (we expect MSR to come out with a very small and simple
              filter before too long to address this need). Plus, the unit runs on a
              3-volt photo battery

              Just Google MSR MIOX there is lots of info out there

              Rocky
            • Andy Mytys
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                The Miox pen does not hold the water being purified. A very small
                amount of brine (salt water) undergoes electrolysis, and is turned
                into mixed oxidants. This mixture is added to a water carrier of your
                choice in 1/2, 1, 2, or 4 liter concentrations. You can treat 10
                liters of water with about 1 minute of fiddling:

                1) filling the cap
                2) shaking to mix the salt and water
                3) pushing a button
                4) waiting 15 seconds
                5) pouring out your mixture, repeating two more times.

                You then wait depending upon what you are purifying against. For
                most applications (Giardia and such), this means 15 minutes.

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <bj@t...> wrote:
                > 16 oz at a time? That can't be right, that pretty much sucks! Plus
                > it takes 4 hours purify it totally. The water tabs only take 20
                > mins, I think I will take my chances with the tabs and a good
                filter.

                > Brian
                >
                > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "nazdarovye"
                > <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
                > > Ugh. Make that "produces a solution to purify 16 oz of water at a
                > time."
              • Chief Moderator
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                  They distribute them at the OR Show. I got mine last August.

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c21sjn8/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=eg
                  roupweb/S=1705066005:HM/EXP=1070361976/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix
                  .com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732> click here

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou
                  pmail/S=:HM/A=1853619/rand=635365440>

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • redbike64
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                    They're out on the racks at the Seattle REI. I took one out of the
                    box and played with it at length there some three weekends ago. They
                    had plenty in stock, and I was pleasantly surprised to see them out
                    where you could get at them, rather than behind a glass case.

                    Anyway, it's probably simplest to think of the Miox as a tiny on-site
                    chemical treatment plant. It would seem that the solution generated
                    is similar, if not identical to the more familiar Aqua Mira/Pristine,
                    only instead of mixing two reagents you add water and push a button.
                    Is it worth it? That's for folks to decide for themselves. In size
                    and heft it's equivalent to an all-plastic 2xAA flashlight, larger
                    than a pair of bottles, smaller than any filter.

                    For those fixated on the 4-hour time, remember that it's the worst-
                    case spec for crypto, and in that regard is no different than that
                    for ClO2. If you know for a fact that you need to treat for crypto, a
                    filter or the UV gizmo are probably your only logical choices. Iodine
                    is ineffective.

                    --Rick

                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Doughty"
                    <woebegone03@h...> wrote:
                    > I don't believe the 2004 catalog is out yet. I usually get then
                    > pretty promptly. It'll be interesting to see what the printed
                    catalog
                    > has to say about them, but I've found that the MSR catalogs and
                    > website is pretty thin on details. I'm told that MSR is having a
                    hard
                    > time getting the MIOX out the door.
                    >
                    > woe.
                  • Michael Doughty
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                      If anyone would like to look at the MIOX instruction sheet...

                      http://tinyurl.com/x8qs

                      woe.

                      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "redbike64"