REPOST - Owner Review Petzl Tikka Plus

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2003
      Andrew,

      thanks for the reply to my wording. I've finished the edits you
      requested. Ignore the Yahooisms including all hyperlinks. I'll have
      those working in the html code.

      thanks,
      kelli

      __________________

      Petzl Tikka Plus – Owner Review

      Personal biographical information:
      Name: Kelli Wise
      Age: 43
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 0" (152 cm)
      Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
      Email: ciyd@...
      Location: Western Washington, USA
      Date: October 16, 2003

      Backpacking background: I've been car camping and hiking for 20 years
      and sport climbing for 10 years, but am new to backpacking. Until I
      discovered lightweight backpacking, the thought of hauling 40 lbs
      (18kg) of gear on my back for hours was simply repulsive. I have
      since discovered that it is possible for me to backpack with pack
      weights below 20 lbs (9kg). My backpacking style is not ultralight
      but lightweight and I still hike in boots, not shoes. I have been
      going on overnight and short trips with the goal of doing an extended
      trip in 2004. The majority of my hiking experience is in Western
      Washington so I get a lot of wet weather experience.

      Style: Lightweight but not ultralight. Striving for a suitable
      compromise between safety and comfort.

      Product information
      · Manufacturer: Petzl
      · Product: Tikka Plus
      · Year of manufacture: 2003
      · Manufacturer's web site: www.petzl.com
      · 78 g with batteries
      · Weight as delivered: 2.6 oz. (74 g)

      Technical specifications :
      4 LED Battery Life Distance of illumination
      Maximum mode 80 h 15 m
      Optimum mode 120 h 10 m
      Economic mode 150 h 5 m
      Blinking mode 400 h -

      Field information
      · Location or locations where the test was conducted: Western
      Washington in summer.
      · Description of location: Western Washington locations have included
      temperate rainforests, coastal beaches, mountains below 7500' (2286m)
      in temps ranging from 35F to 80F (2C to –27C).
      · Weather conditions: Cold, rain, and fog.

      Detailed Report
      The Petzl Tikka Plus was purchased as a lightweight replacement for
      my Petzl Zoom headlamp. Using LEDs instead of incandescent lamps, the
      Tikka Plus only requires 3 AAA batteries instead of 3 AA batteries,
      which is a big weight saving, but the lamp itself is more than 92 g
      (3.25 oz) lighter and the spare batteries are also lighter. LEDs use
      much less power than incandescent bulbs so the LED lamp will run
      longer on one set of batteries. As a comparison, the Tikka Plus will
      run 80 hours at maximum brightness versus 10 hours for my original
      Zoom with a standard bulb.

      The Petzl Tikka Plus is the next generation of the Tikka. The
      difference between models is the addition of one LED, 8 g (.28 oz) of
      additional weight, and selectable brightness settings: maximum,
      optimum, economy, and blinking. The Tikka had an illumination range
      of 10' which corresponds to the Optimum brightness setting of the
      Tikka Plus. The Tikka Plus uses a single pivoting housing for both
      batteries and LEDS and a soft elastic headband. The light is not
      focusable. The on/off/selector switch is a small, sealed pushbutton
      switch on the top of the light housing.

      The Tikka Plus is light enough that I can safely hang it on the
      ridgeline of my hammock to keep it handy without causing any sag in
      the ridgeline cord. It's small enough that it can be used as an
      overhead light in this configuration. It's also small enough that it
      fits into the side pocket of my backpack or in my pants pocket. Thin
      headbands like that found on the Tikka's lightweight cousin, the
      Zipka, get tangled in my hair and I tend to lose clumps of hair when
      removing them. This makes the thick elastic headband of the Tikka
      Plus much more comfortable and worth the extra weight to me. The
      headband is adjustable and I've heard reports that it can be adjusted
      wide enough to fit around a person's waist. Certainly not my waist,
      as age and gravity have had their revenge. The Tikka Plus is also
      small enough to be carried in my hand and used as a flashlight.

      In use, the different brightness settings have been most appreciated.
      I have found that, for most tasks, the Optimum mode is adequate.
      Maximum mode is good for reading cooking directions, fiddling with
      small items such as stove setup, or finding some small widget I've
      managed to drop. Economy mode is bright enough to keep me from
      tripping over things when I'm wandering about in a camp at night – it
      isn't so bright as to disturb my camp mates but is sufficient to get
      me to a spot to take care of business and get me back. With
      reflective guy lines on my hammock tarp, there is enough light in
      Economy mode to light up my hammock setup and get me back to bed. In
      maximum mode, the light reflecting off the guy lines is even more
      striking and can be seen from a good 50' (15 m) away even in a thick
      fog. I have no vision problems but, like many people, I find that it
      takes a while for my eyes to adjust to a sudden change in ambient
      light and this is all the more obvious when I'm in the wilderness
      when there is no moon. Economy mode isn't so bright that I lose all
      of my night vision after I switch it off. It is also low enough that
      it isn't painful when switched on in the dark. Unfortunately, to get
      to Economy mode, I have to switch from Maximum to Optimum to Economy
      and I found it best to close my eyes while doing this. Economy mode
      was handy when getting up in the middle of the night.

      While I haven't measured the distance of illumination with a tape
      measure, I would agree with Petzl's specs. The beam cannot be
      focused, but there is a significant bright spot in the center of the
      illuminated area which is noticeable on the ground in front of me,
      but is less noticeable when doing close up work. The light is white,
      with a bluish tint, rather than the yellow cast of incandescent
      light. This can be a bit harsh when reading on paper that is bright
      white, but I haven't found it to be too bad for an hour of reading or
      journal writing.

      I spent one weekend camping on the coast of Washington and a heavy
      fog rolled in during the night. I woke up during the night to find my
      campsite dripping with moisture and my sleeping bag and hammock
      awfully wet. In Optimum mode, I set up my rain fly, wiped up the
      excess moisture from my hammock and sleeping bag, and checked on my
      bear canister. Call me crazy, but it was a lovely evening with no
      moon and I had never wandered around tide pools on a dark, foggy
      night before so I decided to go for a walk down the beach. I tried
      all 3 brightness settings in the heavy fog. When worn around my head,
      Maximum mode gave me a lovely view of the individual droplets of
      moisture hanging in the air but my visibility was limited to under
      10' (3 m). Optimum mode made individual droplets difficult to make
      out and visibility was much improved, probably about 20' (6 m). In
      Economy mode, the fog was just a blur of, well, fog, but the light
      output wasn't enough to cut through the fog and visibility was down
      to about 10' (3 m). By holding the Tikka Plus in my hand and just
      about waist level, I found that visibility in Maximum and Optimum
      modes was greatly increased due to less interference from reflection,
      similar to what you experience while driving a car in the fog. The
      ability to carry the headlamp as a flashlight was a big plus.

      The headlamp is not waterproof but it is water resistant and I have
      used it in a light drizzle and heavy fog, but one of the driest
      summers on record has limited my testing in a heavy downpour. While
      washing salt spray off all of my gear, I decided to test the Tikka
      Plus' wet performance. I turned the headlamp on and held it under a
      free running tap while washing salt residue off of the housing. This
      is much worse than any rainstorm and the light output held steady and
      the inside of the housing was dry after the test. I won't worry about
      how it will perform when my next hike comes up during the rainy
      season.

      The tilting range of the headlamp is not very great, but has proven
      to be adequate for all my needs to this point.

      The biggest shortcoming of the Tikka Plus is changing batteries. The
      housing requires a tool or coin to open. If you have large, very
      thick fingernails you might be able to open it without a tool, but I
      was not able to despite several minutes of trying. Once I had the
      battery housing open, getting the batteries to sit in the housing
      with the case wide open is difficult. The 2 hinges of the housing are
      a thin rubber, similar to a small gasket, and they interfere with the
      seating of the battery closest to the hinge. It took a couple of
      tries to get the batteries to sit in place long enough to get the
      housing closed. Thankfully with the long battery life of LED lamps, I
      won't have to be changing batteries very often. I have been using the
      Tikka Plus all summer, plus a few times at home, on the first set of
      batteries and I still haven't seen a drop off in light output.

      If I had one wish for the next generation of the Tikka, I would add
      one red LED and a mode that illuminated this LED only to further save
      my night vision.

      I haven't had to make use of the blinking mode, yet.

        Hi Kelli

        Thanks for re-working your Owner Review. I only have one minor edit for
        you. Once done, please upload to:

        <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20LED/Petzl%20Tikka%20Plus/>
        or Reviews > Lighting > Headlamps - LED > Petzl Tikka Plus.

        When you upload the HTML copy of your Owner Review please click the radio
        button labelled, Owner Review. The file name is not relevant.

        I strongly recommend that you do a test upload to the test upload folder at
        Reviews > Test or <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test>. This
        allows you to check that all is well with your Owner Review before you
        place it on the main site. One problem area which comes all too often, is
        URL not being hot (clickable). Please verify that all links in your Owner
        Review work ok when uploaded.

        support group,
        BGTFileUploadHelp @ <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BGTFileUploadHelp/>.

        Thanks
        Andrew
        Chief Edit Moderator

        At 08:34 AM 06/11/2003, you wrote:
        >Petzl Tikka Plus – Owner Review
        >
        >Detailed Report
        >
        >The Tikka had an illumination range
        >of 10' which corresponds to the Optimum brightness setting of the
        >Tikka Plus.

        EDIT:> Just need the metric equivalent here, i.e., 3 m.

        reviews and tests on the planet