APPROVAL:OWNER REVIEW:Dr Bronners Peppermint Soap:RICK

  • graham blamey
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi Rick, thanks for this entertaining review. I have only one question for
      you (see below), but if you can't shed any light on it don't worry,
      When ready, you can upload your review to:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal%20Hygiene/Toiletries/Dr%20B
      ronners%20Peppermint%20Soap/

      or: Reviews>Personal Hygiene>Toiletries>Dr Bronners Peppermint Soap

      When uploading your Owner Review, please ensure you select the button
      marked
      Owner Review.

      support group, BGTFileUploadHelp @

      You may also find it useful to make use of the test upload folder at
      Reviews >Test or http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test to test your
      upload before uploading the review to its new home.

      > The label on the bottle is certainly unusual. The official name of the
      > soap is "Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps, 18-in-one Hemp PEPPERMINT
      > PURE-CASTILE SOAP." From reading the label, one learns that the soap
      > is "100% Cruelty Free," and it is to be used for

      ### can you shed any light on what the '...18-in-one...' and
      '...PURE-CASTILE...' might refer to?

      Many thanks for an easy job,
      Regards,
      Graham,
      BGT Edit Moderator

      ---
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003

        >>The label on the bottle is certainly unusual. The official name of the
        >>soap is "Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps, 18-in-one Hemp PEPPERMINT
        >>PURE-CASTILE SOAP." From reading the label, one learns that the soap
        >>is "100% Cruelty Free," and it is to be used for
        >>

        >### can you shed any light on what the '...18-in-one...' and
        >'...PURE-CASTILE...' might refer to?

        Graham,

        Thanks for the edit. It is a little difficult to know what Dr. Bronner
        (RIP 1997) meant by a lot of what he wrote on the bottle labels.
        18-in-one refers to the uses the soap has. According to various parts
        of the label, it can be used as deodorant, tooth cleaning, laundry, and
        lots else besides. However it is hard to exactly number the 18 uses. I
        have not seen them listed out.

        Pure Castile, according to the Bronner website means that the soap is
        made from pure vegetable oil, with no animal fat, which is also the
        basis of the Cruelty Free claim. The dictionary says castile soap is
        made from olive oil. However, the Bronner soaps are made from a mixture
        of oils, I believe. If you have not seen the soap on the outfitter
        shelves on that side of the pond, you may enjoy reading the label here:

        http://www.drbronner.com/labels/pepmt.pdf

        For the purposes of backpacking, I did not consider these issues which
        affected the use or the effectiveness of the product. They are simply
        eccentric, or perhaps marketing devices. I found it difficult to
        determine how much of the Dr. Bronner story would be worth going into in
        the review, so I made some mention of the label. However, it is all out
        on the Bronner homepage for those who wish to chase that trail to its
        conclusion.

        Rick
      • Graham Blamey
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
          > Thanks for the edit. It is a little difficult to know what Dr.
          Bronner
          > (RIP 1997) meant by a lot of what he wrote on the bottle labels.

          Man-alive Rick, I see what you mean! I wish I had a day or two to
          spare to read it all. I spotted a bit of Rudyard Kipling's 'IF' in
          there, but the rest......well :)

          > basis of the Cruelty Free claim. The dictionary says castile soap
          is
          > made from olive oil.

          Possibly originally from Spain (Castille)?

          > For the purposes of backpacking, I did not consider these issues
          which
          > affected the use or the effectiveness of the product.

          Fair comment indeed. My interest was purely idle curiosity

          > They are simply
          > eccentric,

          you're surely not referring here to "More good is caused by evil than
          by good" or "I work hard first perfecting me, like Mark Spitz-arctic
          owls-penguin-pilot-cat-swallow-beaver,"
          LOL
          Cheers,Graham