FIELD TEST REPORT : Princeton Tec Scout Headlamp.

  • Bob Farrell
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2003
      Princeton Tec Scout Headlamp Field Test Report

      Personal Biographical Information:
      Bob Farrell
      38
      male
      6'2" (1.88m)
      175 pounds (79kg)
      farmerbob48@...
      Berwick, Maine
      11/01/03

      Background:
      I am an avid hiker and I hike up in the White Mountains of New
      Hampshire whenever I can. I have hiked for over 13 years. I have
      hiked sections of the A.T. in New York, New Jersey, and New
      Hampshire. I am currently working on becoming a member of the AMC's
      Four Thousand Footers Club of the White Mountains. To become a
      member, I must climb 48 mountains in the White Mountains that are
      over 4000 feet (1219m). I have climbed 29 of them so far. I am
      also working on that same list in the winter. I have climbed four
      mountains so far. I have a web site for hikers working on the lists
      in New England. It is called the "4000'ers Journals of the White
      Mountains" and it can be seen at http://www.4kjournals.20m.com

      Style:
      I am becoming an ultra light hiker. I have been upgrading my old
      gear for ultra light gear. I plan on taking less gear on day hikes
      and I'll try to get rid of some weight for backpacking.

      Product Information:
      Manufactured by Princeton Tec.
      Manufactured in Spring of 2003.
      http://www.princetontec.com
      Weight: 1.85oz (52gm)
      Actual weight: 2 oz (57gm)

      Features:
      2 Ultra white L.E.D.'s
      5 Position electronic switch system
      48 hours of burn time
      Detachable, multi-functional, hinged lamp housing
      10,000+ hours of L.E.D. bulb life
      4 2032 Lithium Coin Cell Batteries
      Waterproof

      Field Information:
      Weather in the White Mountains is unpredictable. It can snow any
      time of the year and it rains a lot. Temperatures in the summer can
      dip down to the 20's and 30's (-7C. - -1C.). Winters can be very
      brutal with temperatures in the –20's to –40's (-29C. - -40C.)
      with so much snow that blazes on trails are covered with snow. Many
      of the mountains rise over 4000 feet (2191m) with moderate to steep
      trails. Several trails are very steep with a lot of rock climbing
      and boulder hopping. There are many streams and creeks with several
      lakes.

      Field Test Report:

      8/30/03
      I went on an early morning hike up local 1410 foot (430m) Parker
      Mountain. I was on the trail by 4:45am.

      To get to the trailhead, I had a 0.2 mile (.32km) walk down a road.
      It was pitch dark and the Princeton Tec Scout headlamp worked
      excellent.

      The light from the Scout was enough to light up the early morning
      sky. The light was spread out; it is not like a spot light. Also
      the light has a light blue hue to it, which makes it very relaxing
      while hiking. The Princeton Tec Scout lit the trail ahead of me
      about 20 feet (6.1 m).

      The single strap fit very well and was very comfortable. The whole
      time I had the Scout on, the strap didn't slip.

      Adjusting the Princeton Tec Scout was difficult. It took two hands
      to adjust and it was very stiff. I noticed that problem when I
      first received the Scout. I will be keeping an eye on it to see if
      it loosens up during the test period.

      As the sun came up, I turned off the Scout. It was comfortable on
      my head so I didn't take it off until I reached the summit.

      For the descent, I put the Princeton Tec Scout in my pocket. It was
      so small and lightweight, it fit in my pocket with no problems.
      After a while, I forgot that it was in my pocket until I reached my
      truck.

      9/4/03
      I used the Princeton Tec Scout to help us set up our tent at 10pm.
      The light from the Scout did a great job. I had no problem seeing
      the stakes and guidelines and the tent was up in no time.

      Once the tent was up, the Princeton Tec Scout did an excellent job
      setting up the sleeping pad and sleeping bag. While I organized
      gear and got ready for bed, I lowered the light of the Scout to the
      3rd (lowest) setting. The low light was enough to get everything
      done and the blue hue was very relaxing.

      9/5/03
      We hiked about 15 miles (24.2 km) during the day. We then spent the
      night in one of the huts in the White Mountains. It was a self-
      service hut. It had no lights in the room or the bathroom. When it
      became dark, I turned on the Princeton Tec Scout headlamp. I used
      it to jot down notes from the days hike and to study the map for the
      following days hike. It worked excellent. Again I had it at the
      lowest level.

      When I went to bed, I placed the Scout next to my bunk.

      Nature called around 2am. I grabbed the Princeton Tec Scout and
      felt around for the top. Once I found the top, I placed my thumb on
      the plastic tab over the switch and grabbed the headlamp with my
      other hand. I moved it forward just enough to turn it on. I put on
      the Scout and off I went.

      The Princeton Tec Scout headlamp lit the way with no problems.

      I really like the Princeton Tec Scout headlamp. It has permanently
      replaced my Princeton Tec Quest headlamp. I am looking forward to
      see how it holds up to the White Mountain winter.
    • Rebecca
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
        Hi Bob - thanks for the early report. Please see my edits and comments
        below marked by ***.

[...]

        *** Can you change 'weight' to 'listed weight'? 'weight' could be the
        listed weight or your measured weight - best to be specific.

        Features:
        2 Ultra white L.E.D.'s

        *** No apostrophe necessary

[...]

        *** excellently. (sounds better, I think?)

        The light from the Scout was enough to light up the early morning
        sky. The light was spread out; it is not like a spot light. Also
        the light has a light blue hue to it, which makes it very relaxing

        *** The light also...

[...]

        ***excellently (?)

        Again I had it at the
        lowest level.

        When I went to bed, I placed the Scout next to my bunk.

        Nature called around 2am.
        *** 2 AM
        I grabbed the Princeton Tec Scout and
        felt around for the top. Once I found the top, I placed my thumb on
        the plastic tab over the switch and grabbed the headlamp with my
        other hand. I moved it forward just enough to turn it on. I put on
        the Scout and off I went.

        The Princeton Tec Scout headlamp lit the way with no problems.

        I really like the Princeton Tec Scout headlamp. It has permanently
        replaced my Princeton Tec Quest headlamp. I am looking forward to
        see how it holds up to the White Mountain winter.

        *** General comment - for the different trips, could you add more field
        information? You have a generic section, but nothing specific to what you
        encountered during the test period.