Dolomitti Jacket - Initial report edits

  • Andrew Claus
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
      Thanks much to Dennis S for the edits on my draft initial report, and especially for the kind words on how it reads. I was sort of dreading writing my first report on a garment, so I'm grateful to hear that it reads OK. I'm uploading the corrected report now.

      I've complied with the edits, and have rewritten some comma-clad clauses. I'm very embarrassed about the spelling errors. The "bivvy" is left over from the Adventure Medical Kits Emergency Bivvy (sic) test. "Plusses" is actually an acceptable spelling, but not the first choice in my dictionary, so I changed that. But I would like to argue that it is grammatically correct to begin a sentence with "and" or "but". I believe that the edit about the incomplete sentence is not correct. There is a subject and predicate. But I do accept the edit as a comment on style. And if BGT does not prefer that sort of usage, that's fine. I changed the sentence. The only formal writing instruction I've ever had encouraged a more conversational style, a departure from the old Strunk school.

      I'd definitely like to hear if there are any more grammatical problems. And I agree that there should be some uniformity of style. I'm not so bad with grammar or spelling myself, but I sure have been impressed with some of the stuff the BGT editors have found. Great job!

      Thanks again,

      Andy Claus

    • Chief Moderator
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
        Style almost always takes preference over technical correctness. I want
        the widest possible latitude that still produces reports we'd all be
        willing to show to our friends....because that is who is going to be
        reading it.
        Jerry

        <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :
        the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

        But I would like to argue that it is grammatically correct to begin a
        sentence with "and" or "but". I believe that the edit about the
        incomplete sentence is not correct. There is a subject and predicate.
        But I do accept the edit as a comment on style. And if BGT does not
        prefer that sort of usage, that's fine. I changed the sentence. The
        only formal writing instruction I've ever had encouraged a more
        conversational style, a departure from the old Strunk school.

        I'd definitely like to hear if there are any more grammatical problems.
        And I agree that there should be some uniformity of style. I'm not so
        bad with grammar or spelling myself, but I sure have been impressed with
        some of the stuff the BGT editors have found. Great job!

        Thanks again,

        Andy Claus

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        066005:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/au
        toredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=913879266>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
          Looks like the box at the postoffice wasn't the Europa II, dang, not really
          !!!!
          Dolomitti is here and WOW.
          Initial Report to follow in a couple of days (walked out of PO without
          tearing box open and wieghing contents.)

          If the Europa had come back today, i would be out instead of on the
          computer. Great weather here today.

          TV

          Honk if you love justice.
          -The Tick
        • Dennis Shubitowski
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
            No problem Andy. At BGT, the style of the writer always stands often whether or not it is gramatically "correct" or not. If all reports were perfect, looked and read the same, the site would be boring to read. The test monitor's job is to read over the reports in the series, make sure all the information that is supposed to be there is there, and make sure there are no obvious errors or mistakes (spellings or otherwise). Some monitors even may suggest things to consider when testing (ie. "Did you consider trying this...") which is always valuable to me. Some testers don't like having the grammar and style-type stuff commented on which is fine. I, personally, try to turn in a report that my old English teachers wouldn't be embarrased to read from one of their students (those nuns will get you every time).

            Your use of "And" is just a style thing and is fine to disagree with me about (see above). As a tester, you can now take any edits as you see fit and make the changes as you see fit. You still need to comply with the requirements, but the rest is up to you as the tester. I'll make a note that I won't get yelled at if I suggest a comma edit in your reports for the next ones. Have fun!

            Dennis
            >>> andrewclaus@... 11/01/03 03:21PM >>>
            <good stuff snipped>