LEKI UL Ti AirErgo PA AS LTR (amytys)

  • Andy Mytys
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2003
      OK - here's my report. I'm still going to call LEKI customer service
      on Monday with respect to removing and installing new tips. I'll
      want to add that experience to this report.

      Otherwise, this one's 99.9% done. Please edit at your earliest

      LEKI Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS Trekking Poles
      Long Term Report

      Reviewed By: Andrew Mytys
      Email: amytys (at) backpacker (dot) com
      Date Published: November 1, 2003
      Update History: None

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: LEKI (http://www.leki.com)
      Item: Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS Trekking Poles
      Year of manufacture: 2003
      MSRP: $149.95 (sold in pairs)
      Listed Weight: 18.5 oz (524 gm) per pair
      Weight as delivered: 18.9 oz (536 gm) per pair

      Note that, the information in this Field Test of the Ultralite Ti
      AirErgo PA AS Trekking Poles is to be taken in addition to my Field
      Report and Initial Review.

      Product Description:

      These aluminum, three section telescoping poles come as a pair and
      represent the latest in technological developments that LEKI has to
      offer. The poles are meant to be used together, one in each hand,
      and there's even an indicator on each pole that shows whether it
      should be held in the right or left hand. These poles have hand
      grips that are set at a 15-degree angle, providing for a
      more "natural feel" to the poles, and shock absorbers built into
      their shafts that are designed to lessen the amount of stress that's
      transferred to your "joints and tendons in the wrist, elbows, and

      Product Features and Statistics:

      Size: 30 1/2 inches (77 cm) - fully collapsed.
      53 1/2 inches (135 cm) - fully extended.

      Weight: 18.9 oz (536 gm) per pair, including pole storage connector
      and performance baskets.

      Easy Lock System (ELS): Allows the user to lock the poles' length in
      place without having to twist the poles "as tight as possible" in
      order to produce a solid lock. This is a completely new locking
      system that first appeared on 2003 model LEKI poles.

      Soft, Antishock System (SAS): A completely redesigned antishock
      system that, as with the ELS, is new for 2003.

      Grips: Positive angle (PA) design, with cork tops and molded foam
      handles (the "Air Ergo" design). The grips are set at a 15-degree
      angle, with an adjustable "Automatic Comfort strap" (ACS) connected
      to them that is covered with a fleece lining in areas that come in
      contact with the wearer's hands. My poles came with the "Air Ergo
      Long Grip", meaning that the foam extends another 8 1/2 inches (216
      mm) down the poles' shaft from the base of the grip.

      Performance Baskets: These help to prevent the poles from sinking
      into soft ground and mud.

      Tips: Carbide flex tip, designed to flex up to 30-degrees without
      damaging the pole shafts.

      Pole Connectors: Each pole has a plastic connector attached to its
      shaft that slides into its corresponding segment found on the other
      pole. When linked, this system insures that the poles are held
      together along their shafts. If the baskets are also installed on
      the poles, the lower segments can be secured by pressing the tip of
      one pole and the bottom of the lower shaft of the other pole into
      the slots provided on the baskets themselves.

      Field Conditions:

      Over the course of my testing period, I've used the LEKI UL Ti
      AirErgo poles to poke, prod, drag, and push myself across some 800
      miles (1300 km) of trail. These miles have been accumulated
      primarily across multi-day hikes, with treks ranging anywhere from
      10 to 25 miles (15 to 40 km). Exposure to wet conditions has been
      limited to wading in rivers, creeks, and mud - there has been no
      hiking in the rain. The poles have been used across a wide range of
      temperatures, ranging from 32 - 95 degrees (0 - 35 C). The trails
      themselves have also had a varying degree of surface composition -
      sandy beaches, chest high mud, hard granite stone, mountain passes
      filled with lingering snow, and nice, flat, dirt packed tread - the
      pole's tips and baskets have had quite a workout. Locations where
      the poles have been tested include Michigan, the La Plata and San
      Juan mountain ranges of Colorado, Rocky Mountain National Park
      (Colorado), and the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California (Yosemite
      National Park). Elevations have varied from 300 feet (90 m) to
      11,493 feet (3503 m).

      The Benefits of Poles:

      Generally speaking, the use of poles has proved to be a great relief
      to strains typically brought about by walking across uneven terrain
      with a 30 lb (13.5 kg) pack strapped to my back. The poles were key
      in establishing a rhythm to my stride, in addition to providing
      balance and traction when traversing sections of trail that could be
      described as precarious, at best. When ascending steep terrain, the
      poles allowed me to get my upper body muscles helping with the
      climb, and I found myself pushing off the poles with every step
      while, at the same time, powering up the incline with my leg
      muscles. Instead of a slow, meandering walk up the mountain,
      accompanied with frequent stops for rest, I found myself in an
      energized rhythm that had me standing straight in my gait, breathing
      steadily, and working my arms and legs in unison. I was at the crest
      of my climb in no time - enjoying the views instead of straining to
      get to the top. When faced with slippery and wet surfaces, the poles
      gave me a third and often fourth point of contact with the ground,
      allowing me to steady myself while carefully advancing forward. When
      faced with downward sloping trails, I was able to transfer the
      weight of my body through the poles, rather than through my knees,
      and I found I could walk for much longer periods of time before
      stresses in my knees built up to the point of needing attention. In
      fact, on many hikes I didn't need to tend to my knees at all. Hiking
      without poles, I often find that I need to wear a neoprene brace
      over my knee not long after the start of my day. With the poles, I
      only experienced issues after the longest of days, typically when
      distances traveled were above 15 miles (24 km) for the day. When all
      the benefits from using the poles were combined, the result was a
      hike filled with noticeably less stress to the body which, in my
      case, had me arriving in camp with plenty of energy to set up my
      shelter, cook dinner, and clean up afterwards.

      In terms of my arms feeling tired from swinging the poles all day, I
      found that this really wasn't an issue. The poles themselves weigh
      only a few ounces each, and the natural swing that my arms have when
      walking contains more than enough energy to bring the poles along
      for the ride. I didn't even really have to grip the poles either -
      the pole's strap around my wrist was enough of a connection to keep
      to pole close at hand, and my loosely cupped hand around the grip of
      the pole could then make any adjustments necessary for proper tip
      placement. In most cases, this action was second nature and I didn't
      have to focus on the trail - I was free to look about and enjoy the
      scenery surrounding me. It was only in those area that contained
      jagged terrain, loose and shifting rocks, fallen trees, and other
      large obstacles that I had to slow down in order to establish where
      the best spot to place the pole's tip was.

      I also found that the trekking poles quickly became an integral part
      of my shelter system, supporting my tarp in a multitude of fashions.

      A Summary of Performance After Six Months of Use:

      In terms of wear, the poles are still very functional, although not
      as pretty as when they were when new. Here's a listing of the
      components, and my experiences with each throughout the testing

      Easy Locking System (ELS) - With the Easy Locking System, it is
      certainly easier to unlock and compress the poles than with older
      LEKI designs. In the first few months of testing, I experienced an
      occasional slippage in the ELS mechanism, causing one of the pole
      sections to collapse. On one occasion, a section got so loose that
      it slipped out of the pole altogether. As the poles got more wear on
      them, however, the "lock" design became more solid. I've not had any
      problems with the poles collapsing on me, or sections of pole
      sliding out, in over 500 miles of hiking. I haven't tightened the
      poles to any greater degree either. I feel that the poles just went
      through a break-in period, and after a few annoying moments during
      the initial few hundred miles of use, the locking system became more
      solid. On their website, LEKI states that "the expanders are made of
      plastic for optimum performance but they do wear out under normal
      use and conditions. This is not a defect. It is recommended that
      consumers replace expanders on a yearly basis. This will ensure
      optimum performance." My take on this is that my expanders finally
      are working well and I will therefore replace them when they die,
      rather than annually. At the end of each hike I will simply
      disassemble the poles for storage, and examine the condition of the
      expanders at that time. Should slippage start to occur again, I will
      assume that the expanders are starting to wear out and replacement.

      When compressing the poles for storage, however, I found that I
      continued to have issues with the Easy Locking System. If I loosened
      the lowest segment just a bit too much, the expander/dowel inside
      would not come into contact with adjoining segment's shaft. The
      result was that there was no friction present to expand the ELS
      system, hence the pole segment could not be locked tight. When this
      occured, I had to turn the segment while pressing down on the tip of
      the segment at a constant angle. This downward pressure at the tip,
      in turn, forced the upper end of the pole section into the shaft
      wall of the adjoining segment, creating just enough friction between
      the dowel and the inner chamber of the pole to form a lock.

      Soft Antishock System (SAS) - I've had mixed feelings about the new
      Soft Antishock System. I really liked how quietly it performed,
      especially when compared to my old, pre-2003, LEKI poles - gone are
      the days of hiking down the trail sounding like you were jumping on
      a pogo stick. However, I have had the system stick on me, and I
      could feel and hear the SAS system's spring "pop" midway through my
      motion of swinging the pole from plant to plant. Also, there was no
      feeling of resistance to the SAS system. I couldn't feel
      any "spring" in the pole when it was planted. This is by design, but
      I find myself wishing for some feedback from the pole as to how
      stable the surface in which I planted the pole was. It is difficult
      to convey in words the lack of "feel" that the new SAS system gives
      compared to the older "triple spring" LEKI mechanics - suffice it to
      say that I had more confidence with the old poles. Your own
      experience may vary.

      I also found that at some point during my hike I would suddenly
      realize that one of my poles felt "stiff". The cause of this was due
      to the antishock system being disengaged. The problem is that I
      always start my hikes with the SAS engaged and don't consciously
      alter the setting during the course of my hike. In monitoring my
      hands on the grips during pole use, I noticed that as I move forward
      on a planted pole I turn the grips inwards. Perhaps a semi-
      compressed shock, coupled with this twisting motion of the pole,
      can, in cases where the pole's tip or basket is rubbing against
      something, inadvertently switch the antishock feature "on"
      and "off". At any rate, the disengaging of the SAS was a constant
      issue throughout the span of my testing.

      Positive Angle Grip (PAG) - With respect to the PAG, I really like
      it. To date, I have not noticed stress in my wrist when hiking with
      these poles and using them on relatively flat terrain for up to 25
      miles (40 km) in a single day, carrying a pack weighing 30 lbs (13.5
      kg). I have used the poles to support my SilNylon (read *very*
      slippery material) tarp from the inside and have found no issues
      with a more limited pole grip surface (remember the angle... it's
      not flat) being in contact with the tarp.

      The top of the grip is made of cork. I found this to be a durable
      enough material. On one occasion, I even fell flat on the trail,
      slamming the grip end of my pole into solid granite, with my body
      coming down full force on top of it. The cork top of the grip did
      sustain some damage - a small piece of cork was removed, not unlike
      a chipped tooth. However, this damage was quickly smoothed and
      soiled with continued use, and today I can barely find it.

      Automatic Comfort Strap (ACS) - I have not found the fleece lined
      wrist straps on the LEKI poles to be significantly more comfortable
      than that of the old non-fleece designed poles. My wife, on the
      other hand, immediately noticed the difference and thinks quite
      highly of the improvement. I'll chalk this up to sensitivity

      The lining of these straps, when new, had a texture to them similar
      to that of a fine corduroy. Today, this texture has been smoothed in
      areas, and the straps are stiff when not in use. I actually like
      this stiffness, as there's no confusion as to how my hands should go
      into the straps - the straps remain open and curved at an angle,
      ready for my hand to slide into them.

      The poles also have a screw on their handles that can be tightened
      down on the straps, locking the length of the straps into place. I
      tried to keep this screw as loose as possible at all times. Even
      when the straps are not locked down, the system that's in place to
      facilitate strap length adjustment does a good job of keeping the
      strap fixed at the adjusted length - you really can't change the
      length of the strap by "accident." With this in mind, not having to
      deal with finding a tool to loosen the screw is the way to go. As
      colder temperatures move in and I find myself thermal-regulating
      (moving in and out of gloves), I want to be able to adjust the size
      of my straps with relative ease. This means not having to deal with
      the screw. Unfortunately, the vibration of the trail itself can
      tighten the screw down onto the strap, and I sometimes found myself
      looking for a coin to loosen the strap even when I started my hike
      with the screw totally disengaged.

      Foam Grips and Pole Shaft - As my hands do not sweat very much, I
      really didn't find any major benefit to hiking with a foam grip, as
      opposed to a cork or rubber grip. However, I was able to hike with
      a "sweaty palms" hiker for a while, and he was using a rubber-grip
      LEKI pole design. We switched poles for a while and I could
      definitely feel my hand sliding along the grip at times. After a few
      miles of trail, when I was sure my partner had ample time to get
      some of his nasty sweat on my test poles, we switched back. I
      noticed that the grips felt dry and my hand did not slip when
      handling the poles.

      Looking at the grips after six months of use, the areas where my
      hand came into direct contact with the foam grips has had the porous
      texture, which was characteristic of the foam when new, fused
      together and it now has a shine to it, not unlike the shine that can
      be achieved on a pair of wool trousers by holding a hot iron
      directly to the material.

      I also had a chance to use the extended foam padding that follows
      the shaft down from the base of the grip. When negotiating steep
      inclines, there's no need to decrease the length of the pole -
      simply slide your wrist out of the strap and grab the pole's padded
      shaft. However, I found that areas where the trail is steep enough
      to warrant the use of the padded shaft were few and far between. The
      only time I really made use of the extended grip was when I was
      exiting a river, onto a steep, muddy bank that was about 2 feet (60
      cm) higher than the riverbed I was standing in.

      I did find the areas of the pole that were covered in foam handy for
      attaching my tarp guy-lines, however. The foam was just soft enough
      to allow the cord to maintain a solid grip on its set position.

      The markings on the upper and lower pole shafts, used to indicate
      the length to which the poles are extended, are showing wear. The
      numbers have been rubbed off in places - some of the numbers have
      disappeared completely. However, it is easy enough to adjust the two
      poles to the same length, simply by lining up the physical
      characteristics on one pole with those of the other.

      Not surprisingly, considering the abuse I've put the poles through,
      the shafts themselves have also been scratched up. These scratches
      for the most part are superficial, and, in most instances, have only
      broken through the gold paint covering the shafts. I do have a few
      scratches that have gone beyond the paint, though these have grazed
      the surface of the aluminum shafts just enough to create a rough
      spot here and there. The strength of the shaft itself does not seem
      to be compromised in any way by these incidental marks.

      In terms of a smooth and unrestrained feeling when adjusting the
      length of the poles, I can report that, after six months of use,
      there is no gritty feeling in the adjustment mechanics at all, and I
      have not noticed any sand or dirt making its way into the inner
      mechanisms of the pole segments.

      Performance Baskets - This is my first set of poles where I have
      kept the baskets on while hiking outside of the winter months. I
      never thought that baskets made that big of an impact. Boy, was I
      wrong. In general, when used on soft terrain, the baskets prevented
      the poles from sinking more than an inch or so below the surface.
      This not only allowed me to realize a firm hold on the ground, but
      allowed me to maintain a well balanced posture while hiking. Going
      without baskets through areas of deep mud or snow had the poles
      piercing deep into trail, forcing my back to follow with a deep
      bending motion which had me fighting to keep my balance while my
      packs weight awkwardly listed about on my back. In areas of
      extremely soft snow or mud, where I found myself buried up to my
      waist, having the poles stopped near the surface allowed me the
      advantage of leverage and, especially in those areas where I found
      myself fighting against boot-eating mud, I was able to pry myself
      out of the muck, one foot at a time, and slowly make my way down the
      trail. While the stock performance baskets are only about half the
      diameter of the optional snowflake baskets, I find that they perform
      adequately across a varying degree of snow. In areas with deep,
      light, powdery snow, the snowflake baskets would indeed be
      advantageous. However, in areas with either hard snow, or wet,
      melting, snow, the baskets that come with the poles work just as
      well as any others.

      The baskets themselves have been worn down over the course of my
      testing. The small "teeth" that circle the baskets and come into
      contact with the trail are down to about half the length they were
      at when new, and I can pull little pieces of frayed material off of
      them. Given that the baskets are made of plastic, it is
      understandable why they would show a lot of wear. Next to the poles
      tip, the performance baskets are the part of the poles that strike
      the trail the most and, at times when the poles are used to prevent
      a fall, the baskets can actually come under quite a bit more stress
      than simply that of the hiker's weight falling on them. The baskets
      not only aid the hiker in maintaining posture and control while on
      the trail but, in many instances, they actually protect the trekking
      poles - the baskets prevent the pole from sliding into those narrow
      crevasses between rocks encountered on the trail. This in turn
      prevents undue lateral stress from being applied against the shaft,
      which could severely bend or even break the pole. However, even
      taking into consideration how much of the teeth have been ground
      down, I find that my baskets are completely adequate for my needs.
      In all honesty, I'm not quite sure what the teeth actually do -
      perhaps they add to the pole's grip, biting into whatever surface
      they plunge into, making it harder for the poles to freely spin
      about. The benefit that I do notice from the baskets is that
      of "floatation", and this is due to the basket's diameter, and has
      little to do with the teeth themselves. In fact, the optional
      snowflake baskets, designed to help keep poles from sinking into the
      softest of snow, have no teeth at all. I am confident that, even
      with my seemingly worn down baskets, they will continue to work well
      for many miles to come - I see no need in replacing them at this

      I was also impressed at how well the removable baskets stay affixed
      to the poles. On numerous occasions during my testing, I had the
      baskets submerged in some pretty deep, boot sucking mud. As I was
      following 250 runners down an extreme cross-country course, the mud
      was very soft and had deep holes all through it where the runners
      had passed. Needless to say, it was hard for my baskets to achieve
      any floatation under such conditions. Even with the baskets impaled
      deep into the collapsed mud, the baskets came out of the mud,
      attached firmly to the poles, time and time again. While some
      runners had lost shoes on this segment of trail, my baskets came
      though without any failure.

      Tips - The carbide tips are also showing wear, with a small portion
      of one of the tips having broken off. This chip occurred in the
      first two months of use, and in my Field Report, I indicated that,
      based on years of experiences with LEKI poles, the longevity of the
      carbide tips was a "crap-shoot". I still feel this is the case. Why?
      Because I have since taken the poles into much more abusive terrain
      and the tips look no worse than they did four months ago. In
      Yosemite, I was especially cruel to the poles. I continued to
      aggressively use the poles on trails littered with rock, trails
      whose very makeup could be described as being cobblestone pathways
      of granite. In other areas of the park, where high-use trails were
      made of asphalt in various stages of neglect, I continued to stab
      away with my poles. And, once closer to the valley, I would continue
      to use the poles on concrete trail, using them to slow my decent and
      support my exhausted frame. I couldn't get another chip out of the
      tips to save my life.

      My left pole tip, however, has developed a hollow "feel" and "clink"
      to it whenever I plant it. I can't find anything loose in this area
      of the pole, but something's going on. Looking at the LEKI website,
      I notice that they sell replacement Universal Flex Tips for the
      poles. It would be nice if LEKI provided instructions for replacing
      these tips on their web page, so that I could take my tips off and
      inspect them, then try putting them back on tightly. I can't seem to
      figure out how to remove these tips on my own, and I hesitate to
      just take a pair of pliers and brute force to the problem.

      Storage and Maintenance - LEKI stresses that the poles should never
      have lubricants introduced into the pole shaft segments, and
      recommends cleaning the inside of shafts with a coarse gun barrel
      brush or the LEKI cleaning brushes with adapter to remove any water,
      dirt, and oxidation residue. All I ever did was to clean the dirt
      and debris from the pole tips with a coarse nylon brush. Then, I
      separated the poles into their six individual segments and wiped
      each segment down with a damp rag. The poles were then stored
      separated until I needed them again, at which time I would assemble
      them and repeat the process again after my hike.

      Thoughts About Upgrading:

      There are four major differences between my old LEKI Makalus and
      these LEKI Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS Trekking test poles - the Easy
      Lock System, Soft Antishock System, the Positive Angle Grips, and
      the foam-covered grips and upper shafts.

      On a fifty-mile backpack (80 km) my wife came with me and brought
      her old, pre-2003, LEKI Makalus (sans Positive Angle Grip). I was
      able to try them out for a while around the mid-point of our hike.
      My wrists immediately noted the difference. While I never had or
      noticed any discomfort using non-PAG poles in the past, after hiking
      with PAG poles for a number of miles going to a non-PAG system was a
      major change. I actually felt more of a shock from the trail making
      its way to my wrist, particularly with the old "triple spring"
      antishock system set to "off". Whether set to "on" or "off", I felt
      a difference and I can report that I prefer hiking with the
      advantage of the Positive Angle Grip feature.

      The foam-covered grips are also nice, especially for those customers
      who's hands tend to sweat when using poles.

      However, I have not found the fleece lined wrist straps on the LEKI
      poles to be significantly more comfortable than that of the old non-
      fleece designed straps.

      I really like how quiet the new poles are - gone are the days of
      hiking down the trail sounding like you were jumping on a pogo
      stick. The hollow "clank" and follow-up vibration that occurs when
      the pole suddenly comes into contact with a hard surface is also
      much less audible, although it's still there.

      Things with the new poles weren't all better though. As mentioned
      above, I did feel an occasional "sticking" to the new Soft Antishock
      System, and there's no feel of resistance that was so characteristic
      in the old "triple spring" system. That lack of tension translates,
      for me, into a lack of confidence when using the poles to balance
      along uncertain terrain. While I did get used to the SAS feel, I
      still prefer the action of the old triple-spring system. With the
      old design, I simply had more feedback about what the pole was
      balancing against - the level of stability, or lack thereof, that
      the object had. It's difficult to explain if you haven't used the
      old poles before - the contrast cannot be conveyed using simple
      text. Existing customers will simply have to try it and experience
      the SAS system for themselves.

      I also mentioned that the SAS system in my test poles disengaged
      itself. This happened on multiple occasions. However, this also
      tended to happen on the old "triple spring" system, and in that
      design the antishock moved from full to either semi-engaged or
      disengaged. I don't feel that the new pole design is better or worse
      in this respect - the antishock system doesn't remain as configured
      by the user throughout the hike. It's a problem I've found both in
      the new and old designs, and it's something that obviously needs to
      be addressed.

      As for the Easy Lock System, it may have a few instances of slippage
      when new but, over time, I feel that it is more reliable that the
      old locking system was. While I may still have issues locking my
      poles in a collapsed setting, they stay secure once I get them
      locked. I think a huge factor in the new pole's reliability can be
      attributed to the reduced amount of debris that makes it into the
      shafts of the poles. While my pole shafts might be scratched up,
      there's no sand inside or gritty feeling found when adjusting the

      Finally, there's that screw at the top of each pole's handle that's
      used to enable and disable the ability to change the wrist strap
      length. On my old LEKI poles, this screw is not there. To lengthen
      the strap, I simply pulled up on the strap. To shorten, I just
      pulled down on the "tip" of the strap. I never had the strap
      suddenly change its length on me with the old system in place. The
      screw system is a pain, in that it can lock down on its own, and it
      has proved to be a new area where dirt can hide.

      Personal Biographical Information:

      Reviewer: Andrew Mytys
      Email: amytys (at) backpacker (dot) com
      Homepage: Andy's Lightweight Backpacking Site
      Location: Michigan
      Age: 33
      Height: 6'1" (183 cm)
      Torso Length: 21" (53 cm)
      Weight: 165 lbs (75 kg)

      Backpacking Background:

      I live in Michigan and have been hiking seriously for 15 years,
      although I've camped since I was 6 years old. I consider myself a
      lightweight hiker. I carry the lightest gear I can get my hands on
      which will provide a comfortable wilderness experience and
      adequately support the goals of my trip. Unless my goals are
      time/distance oriented, my pace is always slow. I rarely exceed 1.5
      miles (2.4 km)/hour. I rest frequently, hike long days, and enjoy
      whatever nature throws my way.

    • Michael Wheiler
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1 12:18 AM
        Thank you Andy. I'll try to get to it either today or Sunday.

        > OK - here's my report. I'm still going to call LEKI customer service
        > on Monday with respect to removing and installing new tips. I'll
        > want to add that experience to this report.
        > Otherwise, this one's 99.9% done. Please edit at your earliest
        > convenience.
      • Andy Mytys
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1 9:29 AM
          No rush.