Initial Report - Aquis Microfiber Towel

  • Rob Davidson
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 8, 2003
      Here it is, and it is also posted in the test folder...
      Cheers, Rob

      INTIAL REPORT - AQUIS MICROFIBER TOWEL

      Manufacturer: Aquis
      Manufacturer URL: www.aquis.com
      Year of manufacture: 2003
      Listed weight: Under 4 oz (113g)
      Weight as delivered: Same
      Listed Dimensions: 15" x 29" (38cm x 74cm)
      Review Date: October 7, 2003
      MSRP: $ 13.89 US

      ***aquistowel01.jpg***

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
      The Aquis Microfiber Towel that I am testing is a size medium with a
      listed dimension of 15" x 29" (38cm x 74cm) and with a listed
      weight
      of less than 4 oz (113g). The color is listed as blueberry, and
      looks like a navy blue. The towel is made of Aquitex, a patented
      microfiber (a microfiber is half the size of silk fibers, and one-
      third the size of cotton).

      Other available sport towel sizes include small (10" x 14";
      25.5cm x
      35.5cm) large (19" x 30"; 48cm x 76cm) and x-large (29" x
      55"; 74cm x
      140cm). Other available "dirt hiding" colors include
      graphite, plum,
      seafoam, and stone.

      The towel's packaging includes the statements:
      • Super absorbent
      • Ultra-lightweight
      • Fast-drying
      • Compact

      Other comments about the towel include "especially gentle on hair
      and
      skin" and that the towels are machine washable. The towel
      features a
      plastic snap close loop at one corner and is designed to assist with
      hanging to dry.

      INITIAL IMPRESSION
      The towel was packaged in a zip-lock style reusable clear plastic
      package, with a cardboard insert covering the front and back of the
      package. The towel was neatly folded inside, and the color of the
      towel was clearly visible.

      When I first opened the package I was surprised by how soft and
      gentle the material felt. It reminded me somewhat of a chamois cloth.

      Upon inspection, all of the edges of the towel were well sewn without
      any flaws. The material of the towel appears consistent, without any
      lack or excess of fibers in any on place.

      The handy loop is sewn into the towel using only one line of
      stitching. The snap on the loop is made of plastic and appears to
      snap closed tightly. The loop is sewn into the corner of the towel.

      Overall my first impression of the towel was that this is a well-made
      product, that without any testing, appears to a convenient size for
      backpacking, is reasonably light, and built for durability.

      ***aquistowel4.jpg***
      ***aquistowel2.jpg***
      ***aquistowel3.jpg***

      PLANNED AND INITIAL TESTS

      INITIAL TEST
      Initial testing included checking the absorption and drying time of
      the towel. A bowl was filled with 1 litre (1 quart) of water. The
      towel was placed in the bowl and completely submerged and allowed to
      soak-up water. The towel was removed from the bowl, and excess water
      was allowed to drip off back into the bowl. When the dripped
      stopped, the towel was set aside. The remaining water in the bowl
      was measured at 550ml (18 ½ oz). This meant that the towel
      absorbed
      450ml (15 oz) of water. The water left in the bowl was tinted with
      navy blue, suggesting that the dye from the towel had run.

      The towel was squeezed out and hung outside in the sun by it's
      snap
      loop. The air temperature was +24ºC (75ºF) with a light wind.
      The
      towel was checked after one hour, and was damp. After 2 hours and 30
      minutes the towel was completely dry.

      PLANNED TESTS
      The towel will be tested over the next 6 months in a variety of
      conditions including day trekking in Scotland, and day hikes, summit
      scrambles, climbs, winter backpacking, and ski touring in the
      Canadian Rockies.

      The areas that I will be testing is the overall absorption of the
      towel for general washing and cleaning, the durability of the towel
      including wear and tear after repeated machine washings, length of
      time is takes to dry in various conditions, and it's overall
      suitability for hiking/backpacking.

      The feature that I am most interested in is the handy loop. My first
      impression of this feature is that it will not hold-up to the wear of
      hiking/backpacking because of the plastic loop, and its location at
      the corner of the towel. My experience is that gear hung outside of
      the pack needs to be secured tightly to prevent it from being pulled
      when caught on a branch or brushed up against a rock ledge. Also, by
      being placed in the corner of the towel, as opposed to the middle
      edge, the towel hangs down approximately 89cm (35"). That's
      a lot of
      towel to get hung-up and it easily hangs lower than all of my
      daypacks.

      REVIEWER INFORMATION
      Name: Rob Davidson
      Age: 30
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'10" (1.8 meters)
      Weight: 188 lbs (85kg)
      Email address: rob@...
      City: Calgary
      Province: Alberta
      Country: Canada

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since 1990 in various
      locations in Western Canada and the North Western United States. I
      spend the majority of my time in mountainous terrain and trek
      throughout the year regardless of the weather. I am a certified
      hiking/backpacking guide with the Association of Canadian Mountain
      Guides and spend most of my time working (and playing!) in the
      mountains. I am a recreational climber and climb mostly ice and
      alpine routes. On personal trips I prefer remote locations using
      minimal equipment.
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 8, 2003
        As Carol is OOP, this Monitor report has been generated by the List
        Moderator.

        This is the monitor report for the Adventure Medical
        Kits Ultralight .9 First Aid Kit as required by the
        survival guide.

        Reports can be found here:

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Health%20&%20Safety/First%20Aid%20Ki
        ts/Adv%20Med%20Kits%20UL%20.9%20First%20Aid%20Kit/

        The testers are:

        Bill Baldwin
        H. L. Hussmann
        Jodi Cornelius
        Michael Wheiler
        Tim Coughlin

        Monitor: Carol Crooker
        Moderator: TOM JONES

        INITIAL REPORT - COMPLETE!

        FIELD REPORT - COMPLETE!

        LONG-TERM REPORT - DUE 18 November 2003

        Shane
        Acting List Moderator
      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 8, 2003
          As Stephanie Swaim is OOP, this Monitor report has been generated by the
          Test Moderator.

          This is the monitor report for the Black Diamond
          Equipment Beta Lights as required by the survival
          guide.

          Reports can be found here:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tarps%20and%20Bivys/Black%2
          0Diamond%20Beta%20Light/

          The testers are:

          Coy Starnes
          Cory Lampert
          Joshua Dunning
          Karin Claus

          Monitor: Stephanie Swaim
          Moderator: STEPHANIE MARTIN

          INITIAL REPORT - COMPLETE!

          FIELD REPORT - NOW DUE!

          Coy Starnes
          ___Edited: 22 September 2003
          ___Uploaded: 24 September 2003

          Cory Lampert
          ___Edited: 23 September 2003
          ___Uploaded: 23 September 2003

          Joshua Dunning
          ___Edited:
          ___Uploaded:

          Karin Claus
          ___Edited: 14 September 2003
          ___Uploaded: 19 September 2003

          LONG-TERM REPORT - DUE 27 January 2004

          Shane
          Acting List Moderator
        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 8, 2003
            This is the monitor report for the Britanne Aquis
            Adventure Towels as required by the survival guide.

            Reports can be found here:

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal%20Hygiene/Towels/Britanne%2
            0Aquis%20Adventure%20Towel/

            The testers are:

            Roger Caffin
            Rick Allnutt III
            Thomas Vickers
            Rob Davidson
            Stephanie Martin

            Monitor: Shane Steinkamp
            Moderator: SHANE STEINKAMP

            INITIAL REPORT - COMPLETE!

            Roger Caffin
            ___Recieved: 29 September 2003
            ___Due: 06 October 2003
            ___Edited: 01 October 2003
            ___Uploaded: 02 October 2003

            Rick Allnutt III
            ___Recieved: 30 September 2003
            ___Due: 07 October 2003
            ___Edited: 01 October 2003
            ___Uploaded: 02 October 2003

            Thomas Vickers
            ___Recieved: 29 September 2003
            ___Due: 06 October 2003
            ___Edited: 03 October 2003
            ___Uploaded: 06 October 2003

            Rob Davidson
            ___Recieved: 06 October 2003
            ___Due: 13 October 2003
            ___Edited: PENDING
            ___Uploaded:

            Stephanie Martin
            ___Recieved: 30 September 2003
            ___Due: 07 October 2003
            ___Edited: PENDING
            ___Uploaded:

            FIELD REPORT - DUE 09 December 2003

            LONG-TERM REPORT - DUE 06 April 2004

            Shane
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 8, 2003
              This is the monitor report for the Paxton's Sandal
              Saver Paxton's Sandal Saver as required by the survival
              guide.

              Reports can be found here:

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal%20Hygiene/Toiletries/Paxton
              s%20Sandal%20Saver/

              The testers are:

              Chuck Carnes
              Ashlee Gunter
              Michael Herman
              Thomas Peltier II
              Rick Allnutt III

              Monitor: Shane Steinkamp
              Moderator: SHANE STEINKAMP

              THIS IS A ONE SHOT REPORT. REPORTS ARE DUE 30 DAYS AFTER THE TESTER'S
              RECEIPT DATE.

              Chuck Carnes
              ___Recieved: 07 October 2003
              ___Due: 14 October 2003
              ___Edited:
              ___Uploaded:

              Ashlee Gunter
              ___Recieved: 04 October 2003
              ___Due: 11 October 2003
              ___Edited:
              ___Uploaded:

              Michael Herman
              ___Recieved: NOT RECIEVED
              ___Due:
              ___Edited:
              ___Uploaded:

              Thomas Peltier II
              ___Recieved: 04 October 2003
              ___Due: 11 October 2003
              ___Edited:
              ___Uploaded:

              Rick Allnutt III
              ___Recieved: 03 October 2003
              ___Due: 03 November 2003
              ___Edited:
              ___Uploaded:

              Shane
              Paxton Monitor
            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 8, 2003
                As Stephanie Swaim is OOP, this Monitor report has been generated by the
                List Moderator.

                This is the monitor report for the Wild Roses Sedona
                Rose P-Tights as required by the survival guide.

                Reports can be found here:

                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Pants/Wild%20Roses%20Sedona
                %20Rose%20P-Tights/

                The testers are:

                Carol Crooker
                Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd
                Jodi Cornelius
                Laurie Shuster
                Réanne Hamel - DEADBEAT

                Monitor: Stephanie Swaim
                Moderator: REBECCA SOWARDS-EMMERD

                INITIAL REPORT - COMPLETE!

                FIELD REPORT - COMPLETE!

                LONG-TERM REPORT - DUE 28 October 2003

                Shane
                Acting List Moderator
              • Chuck Carnes
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 9, 2003
                  This is a friendly "take a look at this again"
                  message.

                  The due dates are a week after the recieved dates, is
                  this right or did you mean for them to be 30 days
                  after recieved date like Ricks?
                  Disreguard this if it has already been brought up.

                  --- Shane Steinkamp <shane@...>
                  wrote:
                  > THIS IS A ONE SHOT REPORT. REPORTS ARE DUE 30 DAYS
                  > AFTER THE TESTER'S
                  > RECEIPT DATE.
                  >
                  > Chuck Carnes
                  > ___Recieved: 07 October 2003
                  > ___Due: 14 October 2003
                  > ___Edited:
                  > ___Uploaded:
                  >
                  > Ashlee Gunter
                  > ___Recieved: 04 October 2003
                  > ___Due: 11 October 2003
                  > ___Edited:
                  > ___Uploaded:
                  >
                  > Michael Herman
                  > ___Recieved: NOT RECIEVED
                  > ___Due:
                  > ___Edited:
                  > ___Uploaded:
                  >
                  > Thomas Peltier II
                  > ___Recieved: 04 October 2003
                  > ___Due: 11 October 2003
                  > ___Edited:
                  > ___Uploaded:
                  >
                  > Rick Allnutt III
                  > ___Recieved: 03 October 2003
                  > ___Due: 03 November 2003
                  > ___Edited:
                  > ___Uploaded:
                  >
                  > Shane
                  > Paxton Monitor

                  =====
                  Chuck Carnes

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                • Shane
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 9, 2003
                    > This is a friendly "take a look at this again"
                    > message.
                    >
                    > The due dates are a week after the received dates, is
                    > this right or did you mean for them to be 30 days
                    > after received date like Ricks?
                    > Disreguard this if it has already been brought up.

                    Nope, you've caught me. It's an artifact of the report generation. I
                    forgot to change the rest of the due dates... It's actually supposed to be
                    30 days. I'll post an updated Monitor Report tonight.

                    Shane
                  • Shane Steinkamp
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 11, 2003
                      Thanks for your report, Rob. I've checked your HTML and it all looks good.
                      I have just a few small edits for you. Upload when ready.

                      Shane

                      ***

                      > INTIAL REPORT - AQUIS MICROFIBER TOWEL

                      EDIT: Please use ‘BRITANNE AQUIS MICROFIBER TOWEL’

                      > MSRP: $ 13.89 US

                      EDIT: ‘$13.89 US’

                      > 25.5cm x 35.5cm) large (19" x 30"; 48cm x 76cm) and x-large (29" x
                      > 55"; 74cm x 140cm).

                      EDIT: Need spaces before ‘cm’ throughout.

                      > Weight: 188 lbs (85kg)

                      EDIT: Need space before ‘kg’.
                    • Rob Davidson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 11, 2003
                        Thanks Shane. Changes have been made and file is uploaded.
                        Cheers