Re: [BackpackGearTest] Report compliance

  • Michael Wheiler
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
      Jerry:

      Seems like we've been discussing ways to insure compliance for a long time.  It is too bad it has gotten to the point that we are considering the credit card requirement.  But to steal a line from the movie "Twins,":  "money talks and bs walks."

      I like the idea of calling for owner reporting on select equipment a lot.  From reading the comments and applications for testing, we have a very strong user data base from which to draw information about equipment use that ought to be utilized.

      Mike
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
        <It might also be of value to request some reviews of the custom or semi-custom
        products. buyers may be leery of because they can't see them in a
        store.>

        Excellent point! I am interested in Wanderlust's 2 for 2 but am concerned about condensation & interior space. I would like to here some good reviews of this tent.
      • Ben Toombs
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
          <Idea #2 leads back to #1: What if we were to require (1,2,3...?)
          owner test reviews as a qualifier for becoming a new-gear tester?
          I'll bet dollars to Lil' Debbies that this process would filter out
          most of your deadbeats.>

          Another good idea! This group is the best!

        • GearTester
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
            I'm willing to try the owner report requirement as a prerequisite for new gear testing. I'm going to require that potential new gear reviewers must include the links to two owner reports that have been uploaded to BGT. I'll develop the requirements file and post it tomorrow....I hope. This will accomplish two goals: build our gear review database and try a less painless method of compliance.
            Jerry
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest : the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 2, 2001
              I wonder if you would consider excludeing the use of previous tester
              reportsas meeting the prerequisites for a new gear tester and
              limiting the requirement to owner reports. The reason I ask this is
              if tester reports are accepted as meeting the prerequisite, folks who
              have already had an oppertunity to test have an unfare advantage.
              There are already folks on the list who have had more than one
              oppertunity to test gear while the majority have not had an
              oppertunity to participate as testers.

              Also I wonder if it would be possible to reword the tester
              requirements such that the tester by accepting gear has entered into
              a contract with the list as well as the manufacturer to provide the
              required report, an should the requirements not be meet, the list
              could bill the noncompliant tester for replacement gear for anouther
              tester, and should they not pay, perhaps at least try to get there
              nonpayment on there credit report.

              --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "GearTester" <geartester@q...> wrote:
              > I'm willing to try the owner report requirement as a prerequisite
              for new gear testing. I'm going to require that potential new gear
              reviewers must include the links to two owner reports that have been
              uploaded to BGT. I'll develop the requirements file and post it
              tomorrow....I hope. This will accomplish two goals: build our gear
              review database and try a less painless method of compliance.
              > Jerry
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest : the most
              comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

            • David Harris
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 3, 2001
                FWIW, I think requiring owner reports as a prerequisite for testing
                is a terrific approach. I hate the notion that we need to require
                credit cards for this process. That would, as has been mentioned
                earlier, leave some potential testers out over concerns about sending
                credit card info out into cyberspace. More than that, whether pay
                pal or credit cards, it would add tremendously to the work (unpaid)
                that Jerry has to put into this venture, and I rather doubt (hope I'm
                not speaking out of turn Jerry) that that's what he got into this
                idea for in the 1st place.

                Let's all hope that the use of owner reviews, and possibly starting
                testers out with smaller items, will solve our problem.

                On a side note, I think the ideas of testing get together sessions
                and side-by-side comparison testing are great, though I think they
                would tend to focus gear on a more limited number of testers.

                David Harris

                --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "GearTester" <geartester@q...> wrote:
                > I'm willing to try the owner report requirement as a prerequisite
                for new gear testing. I'm going to require that potential new gear
                reviewers must include the links to two owner reports that have been
                uploaded to BGT. I'll develop the requirements file and post it
                tomorrow....I hope. This will accomplish two goals: build our gear
                review database and try a less painless method of compliance.
                > Jerry
                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest : the most
                comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.
              • Dave Hicks
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 5, 2001
                  I like the idea of a credit card number and a signed agreement, but with
                  some restraint in what is considered delinquent, or otherwise results in a
                  charge to the account.

                  For example, one of the complications is problem of "matching the items
                  arrival date with the testers' calendar or travel/hiking schedule." We
                  seldom know when the item will arrive, when we apply to test it. For
                  example, my Hike-N-Light arrived while I was on a trip, so I was
                  "delinquent" -- albeit I had notified Jerry that I was going to be out. To
                  his, and your, credit you just list my report as "delinquent" rather than
                  announce to the world that my house was an easy target for the next two
                  weeks. So, IMHO, we need some clear understanding of how to deal with
                  report slippages while maintaining some acceptable level of confidentiality.

                  dave