IR: Aquis Towel (Rick)

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 1, 2003
      The html version (with picture) is on the test site. Here is the text:

      Aquis Adventure Towel
      Medium Size
      Initial Report by Rick Allnutt

      "You got a towel with you?" said Ford suddenly to Arthur.
      Arthur, struggling through his third pint, looked round at him.
      "Why? What, no...should I have?"
      He had given up being surprised, there didn't seem to be any point any
      longer.
      Ford clicked his tongue in irritation.
      "Drink up," he urged.
      The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams, chapter 2.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer: Britanne Corporation
      Year Manufactured 2003
      Manufacturer's Link: Aquis Britanne
      MSRP: not listed, but most vendors charge about $15
      Listed Weight: under 4 oz (113 gm)
      Measured Weight: 3.84 oz (109 gm)
      Listed size: 15 x 29 in (38 x 74 cm)
      Measured size: as listed
      Review Date: 1 October, 2003

      REVIEW
      This is one of 4 Adventure towels offered under the Aquis brand name.
      The manufacturer's web site is attractive and easy to navigate.
      There is no provision to buy the towel directly from Britanne, however
      a number of vendors are listed, including several internet vendors.
      The actual price varies from site to site and shopping is advised.

      The manufacturer's site informed me that the towel is made of a brand
      of ultrafine microfiber they call Aquitex®. The fibers are woven into
      a cloth called Aquis® Lisse. The towels are available in five colors.
      The color provided to me is blueberry.

      The towel's thickness is approximately .04 in (1 mm). It is slightly
      thinner than the cotton towel one might find hanging from a towel rack
      in a bathroom. However, it absorbs water very well. With its
      futuristic fiber content, it may not be what Adams had in mind when
      Ford's towel was described as "the most massively useful thing a
      [hiker] can have".

      How much water will the towel hold?
      Weight Soaking wet: 16.8 oz (475 gm)
      Dry weight as above: 3.8 oz (109 gm)
      Difference (weight of water held in towel): 13 oz (366 gm)
      Weight after wringing out: 9.17 oz (260 gm)
      Effective weight of water removed before needing to wring it out:
      i.e. difference between wrung out towel and soaking wet towel: 3.83 oz
      (106 gm)

      How long does it take to dry? Indoors at 74 F (23.3 C) at an
      unmeasured but comfortable relative humidity, it takes about 3 hours
      for the towel to dry. In the sun, on a warm rock on a dry, warm day,
      it takes about an hour.

      How well does it work? The first test was to take a bath and dry off.
      I wiped my skin with my hands to get the majority of the water off,
      and then dried my hair and body with the towel. It dried me very well
      and was comfortable to my skin. Weight of the towel after drying was
      6.17 oz (175 g). Note that this is less than the weight after wring
      out listed above. I tried to wring water out of the towel. None came
      out. The towel dried in a warm room in about an hour.

      The second test was to clean my glasses. Almost nothing except cotton
      and paper products will readily dry glasses after washing. Even when
      moist, this towel does. The towel left my glasses completely dry and
      ready to use.

      The towel has an attached loop with plastic snap. The tab is intended
      to attach the towel to a pack while drying in the field. The loop is
      sewn to the towel with a straight stitch. On one side of the tag it
      gives the web site for the manufacturer and washing instructions:

      Machine wash with like colors only. No fabric softener. Only
      non-chlorine bleach.

      The tag lists the materials as 80% polyester and 20% nylon.

      The directions and materials are then repeated in Spanish.

      I washed the towel in a sink with hand soap. On first washing, there
      is considerable blue dye that comes out of the cloth. It certainly is
      a good idea to wash this towel for the first time by itself or with
      all dark colors.

      TEST PLAN
      I plan to use the towel for my daily shower over the first two months.
      This will be a good way to judge the durability of the towel. I will
      also use the towel on several winter and spring backpacking trips.
      There are several unique tests that can be applied to towels as
      specified in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I will endeavor to
      do several of these tests as time and opportunity present themselves.

      PERSONAL BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
      Rick Allnutt
      50 Year old male
      6' 0'' (183 cm) in height
      190 lbs (86 kg) in weight
      Email address: ra1 (at) imrisk (dot) com
      I live in Dayton, Ohio

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      Over the last 18 months, I have gone from being a heavy-weight (2
      Duluth Pack) canoe camper to a three-season base pack weight of about
      9 lb (4 kg) and skin out weight of 20 lb (9 kg). I have completed four
      ultralite section hikes on the AT with a total mileage of nearly 200
      miles (322 km). I am an ultralight hiker, a gearhead, a hammock
      camper, and make much of my own equipment.
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 1, 2003
        Thanks Rick. Good pictures. Nicely done. Here are your edits, with
        comments. Please upload when ready.

        Shane
        Britanne Aquis Adventure Towel Monitor

        ***

        > Aquis Adventure Towel

        EDIT: Please use 'Britanne Aquis Adventure Towel'

        > MSRP: not listed, but most vendors charge about $15

        EDIT: Nope, nope, nope. MSRP only. You might get away with saying 'About
        $15.00', but we don't report on vendor prices.

        > Measured size: as listed

        Comment: Listed where?

        > With its futuristic fiber content, it may not be what Adams had in mind
        when Ford's towel was described as "the most massively useful thing
        > a [hiker] can have".

        EDIT: Extra space after 'it'.

        COMMENT: I don't understand the sentence. Why would futuristic fiber
        content _disallow_ the towel as massively useful?

        > Weight Soaking wet: 16.8 oz (475 gm)

        EDIT: For consistency, do not capitalize 'soaking'.
      • Rick
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 2, 2003
          I appreciate the edit Shane. Good catches. The sentence that puzzled
          you was just wrong. It makes sense when it reads:

          With its futuristic fiber content, it may be what Adams had in mind when Ford's towel was described as "the most massively useful thing a [hiker] can have".

          Which describes my feeling about it too.

          (aside - in a stage whisper)
          NOT Two spaces after a sentence. It will be difficult to get used to a world without that extra space. Those guys in Chicago must be drinking.

          Rick
        • Shane
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 2, 2003
            > The sentence that puzzled
            > you was just wrong. It makes sense when it reads:

            Yes, much better.

            > (aside - in a stage whisper)
            > NOT Two spaces after a sentence. It will be difficult to
            > get used to a world without that extra space. Those guys
            > in Chicago must be drinking.

            "Alas, poor Double Space, I knew him, Risk!"

            Shane
          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 2, 2003
              I checked out the new Chicago Style book that you quoted. Several things I
              learned....

              Like adding a final fourth period to the ellipses above is now correct.

              I was also tickled to learn that (quoted from memory) "No human has enough
              capacity to learn all the rules and exceptions regarding hyphens."

              I took a look at a bunch of the new rules about commas, before remembering that
              those wars have already been fought.

              Funny thing is, I really don't care a whit about grammar. When editing a report
              I find myself hearing the lost voice of all those English teachers who beat me
              up about my creative spelling and punctuation.

              Well, "I'm free! Free, at last!" As long as Word does not underline someone's
              text in the green squiggly of the grammar checker....

              Rick
              (above text checked twice for double spaces after periods)

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 2, 2003
                So you trust Microsoft for your grammar?

                Sorry couldn't help myself

              • Dennis Shubitowski
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 2, 2003
                  It is a sad day when we rely on the grammar abilities of a Microsoft product to proofread our reports. This is not a rip on anybody at all, I just find that the grammar and spelling programs are half as wrong as they are right. Nothing beats a good copy of "The Elements of Style" or "A Brief Handbook for Writers" when a sentence just doesn't look right to the eye. My Microsoft Word dictionary is so customized by now that it does a pretty good job, but I don't even bother with the grammar program as it tries to change one's writing style to a format it deems acceptable and is often wrong to boot.

                  Dennis

                  >>> ra1@... 10/02/03 12:21PM >>>

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 2, 2003
                    This is the monitor report for the Sawyer Products Ctrld
                    Rlse - Permethrin - Maxi Deet as required by the survival guide.

                    Reports can be found here:

                    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Health%20&%20Safety/Insect%20Repelle
                    nts/Sawyer%20Insect%20Repellents/

                    The testers are:

                    Jodi Cornelius
                    Coy Starnes
                    Michael Wheiler
                    Paul Schilke
                    Clifford R Haynes

                    Monitor: Shane Steinkamp
                    Moderator: SHANE STEINKAMP

                    INITIAL REPORT - COMPLETE!

                    FIELD REPORT - COMPLETE!

                    LONG-TERM REPORT - DUE 06 January 2004

                    Shane
                    Sawyer Monitor
                  • ra1@imrisk.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 2, 2003
                      Quoting Thomas Peltier <Thomas@...>:

                      > So you trust Microsoft for your grammar?

                      Trust is taking it a little too far. I don't mind letting it point out possible
                      problems - like putting two spaces between sentences. I turned that checker on
                      this morning after Shane's post.

                      I do find it a little easier to tell the checker to "buzz off" than it was to
                      tell my 3rd grade teacher the same.

                      Rick

                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 2, 2003
                        Fair enough and used with discrimination it's great. I'm just in a mood and
                        that was easy pickin's

                      • David Anderson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 2, 2003
                          At 12:31 PM 10/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:

                          >It is a sad day when we rely on the grammar abilities of a Microsoft
                          >product to proofread our reports. This is not a rip on anybody at all, I
                          >just find that the grammar and spelling programs are half as wrong as they
                          >are right. Nothing beats a good copy of "The Elements of Style" or "A
                          >Brief Handbook for Writers" when a sentence just doesn't look right to the
                          >eye. My Microsoft Word dictionary is so customized by now that it does a
                          >pretty good job, but I don't even bother with the grammar program as it
                          >tries to change one's writing style to a format it deems acceptable and is
                          >often wrong to boot.
                          >
                          >Dennis

                          At least you got it in the right order. Apply the rules after you think it
                          does not look right, not before.

                          If you read it, and it is clear to you, then the writer has successfully
                          communicated to you and there is no problem.

                          --
                          David Anderson
                          Moderator

                        • chcoa
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 2, 2003
                            I have a lot of issues in the reports I read with proper comma usage.
                            I'm sure the testers who get me as a monitor just cringe. I don't
                            think i was around for the "comma wars" but if someone could recap
                            I'd appreciate it. My problem is I'm the opposite of Rick here, i do
                            give a crap about grammer and I would want someone to catch my
                            misplaced commas and any other mess ups but how nit picky should I be
                            with others? Obviously not everyone cares as much as I'm going to
                            about grammer.

                            Jamie in AZ

                            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                            > I checked out the new Chicago Style book that you quoted. Several
                            things I
                            > learned....
                            >
                            > Like adding a final fourth period to the ellipses above is now
                            correct.

                            > I was also tickled to learn that (quoted from memory) "No human has
                            enough
                            > capacity to learn all the rules and exceptions regarding hyphens."
                            >
                            > I took a look at a bunch of the new rules about commas, before
                            remembering that
                            > those wars have already been fought.
                            >
                            > Funny thing is, I really don't care a whit about grammar. When
                            editing a report
                            > I find myself hearing the lost voice of all those English teachers
                            who beat me
                            > up about my creative spelling and punctuation.
                            >
                            > Well, "I'm free! Free, at last!" As long as Word does not underline
                            someone's
                            > text in the green squiggly of the grammar checker....
                            >
                            > Rick
                            > (above text checked twice for double spaces after periods)
                            >
                            > Quoting Shane <shane@t...>:
                            >

                            > > "Alas, poor Double Space, I knew him, Risk!"
                            > >
                            > > Shane

                            > Get your own personalized domain name with hosting included for
                            just $35 @ http://www.catalog.com!
                          • David Anderson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 2, 2003
                              At 05:33 AM 10/3/2003 +0000, you wrote:

                              >I have a lot of issues in the reports I read with proper comma usage.
                              >I'm sure the testers who get me as a monitor just cringe. I don't
                              >think i was around for the "comma wars" but if someone could recap
                              >I'd appreciate it. My problem is I'm the opposite of Rick here, i do
                              >give a crap about grammer and I would want someone to catch my
                              >misplaced commas and any other mess ups but how nit picky should I be
                              >with others? Obviously not everyone cares as much as I'm going to
                              >about grammer.
                              >
                              >Jamie in AZ

                              Well, if you give a crap about "grammer" it is spelled "grammar" ;-)

                              Quite simply, the rule is that it does not have to be perfect grammar, it
                              has to be readable and understandable.

                              If a missing comma drastically changes the meaning, then point it out. If
                              it does not, then you might want to just comment on it or ignore it. If a
                              comma that is in there does not make sense, then suggest they take it out.
                              But if it is just not the way that you would do it, or it is only violating
                              some rule you learned 20 years ago, then get over it.

                              The rules about commas are as varied, and as at-odds with one another, as
                              the hyphen rules.

                              If you would like them to be a bit pickier, then just go ahead and ask. But
                              try not to over-edit someone else if their report makes sense as is.

                              --
                              David Anderson
                              Moderator

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 3, 2003
                                Thanks dave and just for the record, I don't give a crap about
                                spelling! :)

                                jamie d

                                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, David Anderson

                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 3, 2003
                                  Jamie - Just throwing on my 2 pennies. I agree with you for the most part as I like to see well-written reports as well, regardless. But, variety is the spice of BGT and you don't want every report looking and reading the same or it would be boring. I was trying to think of an editing method for comma usage that wasn't annoying or over the top. Sometimes reports can really be improved by correct comma usage as it reflects on the overall "quality" of the report (at least the look and reading of it). Knowing from the comma wars that strict grammar edits are pretty much frowned upon (and with good reason), I usually just denote extraneous commas with a [] around them and the tester can remove them if they wish - it is up to them. If the report reads fine otherwise and there are no edits other than commas, I don't bother as it is not worth the trouble. I think as you edit more BGT reports you soon learn what is really important in terms of the edit. Jim Hatch has a good method as well - EDITS (need to fix), Edits (fix in my opinion), and Comments (really, really my opinion or questions I have).

                                  Dennis

                                  BTW - Edit below:

                                  >>> jdeben@... 10/03/03 01:33AM >>>
                                  I don't think i was around for the "comma wars" but if someone could recap
                                  I'd appreciate it.

                                  Edit: ...for the "commas wars," but ....

                                  :) !
                                • Andy Mytys
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 3, 2003
                                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:

                                    > I have a lot of issues in the reports I read with proper comma
                                    > usage. I'm sure the testers who get me as a monitor just cringe.

                                    Jamie - please feel free to edit my Field Report on the Bite X-Trac
                                    OS sandals. By the time you're finished, you'll have this
                                    overzealous editing bug kicked. :)

                                    Seriously, I too worry about it (I was on the losing side of the
                                    comma wars) and wouldn't mind you taking a crack at that report.

                                    > I don't think i was around for the "comma wars" but if someone
                                    > could recap I'd appreciate it.

                                    Sure... BGT doesn't give a hoot about grammer, unless it's really,
                                    really, bad. Comma usage is looked at less from a grammatical
                                    standpoint and more from a vocal standpoint. People write like they
                                    talk/think, not how some writing class says they should.

                                    This gives more of a flavor to our reports, and allows for more
                                    personal style.

                                    At least that's the way I understood it to be.
                                  • Chief Moderator
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 3, 2003
                                      The object of the game is to get a usable report. It is also to not run
                                      the testers off. I don't want the reports to look like they were written
                                      by a 5 year old. I do not want them to read like a PhD. thesis. It's not
                                      life or death. It should still be fun. As long as the tester effectively
                                      communicates their information, I don't want editors to go overboard.
                                      Andrew will be back soon and he has an excellent feel for the level of
                                      editing I want. I don't want the editing to get in the way of the
                                      reporting.
                                      Jerry

                                      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :
                                      the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.