Re: Member Edit: Long Term Report - Deuter Futura 32

  • Fuzzy
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76"
      <colonelcorn76@y...> wrote:
      > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <ckime@n...> wrote:
      >
      > Wow that was restrained! Tired?
      >
      > :-)

      Tired? Yes. Life-changing events going on this month, as mentioned
      recently at Kampfire.

      Restrained? Well, I saw what I saw. I didn't comment on style, only
      specifics that I saw.

      Fuzzy
    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:
        > Fuzzy - Thanks for the edits and the restraint. I really expected
        much more abuse (not that I actually deserve it, or anything!).

        There really wasn't that much to say... of course, I could blame it
        on being very tired. :->

        > You can say Hi anytime! The 'time to kill' comment definitely
        applies, as I still have three reports due tonite and over the next
        week or so, plus the editing and uploads that come with it.
        Everything seems to have come due at once!

        That's what you get for being a newbie who got additional tests
        anyway... feels good, don't it?

        > After the wave passes, I want to start learning a bit about HTML
        and formatting to pretty up my reports a bit. Your new ones are
        looking real nice, by the way!

        Thanks. I actually hand-code my HTML. Once I have a basic HTML
        format figured out, I just cut-and-paste the text from my Word
        version into the HTML version. It isn't a fancy interface by any
        means, but I have been programming in one form or another since I was
        13, so I am comfortable with raw code.

        > All this and I'm trying to put together a 3 day hike this weekend
        to field test the Brasslite Turbo II-D stove!

        My big field test for Mama's Kitchen was Pikes Peak, which was only a
        one-day hike, but... hoo boy, what a day! That, and the 4-5 hours I
        spent measuring and timing on my stove for the boil time comparisons.

        > Great fun!!

        That's why we do it, right?

        > Jim S.

        Fuzzy
      • colonelcorn76
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
          Hey Jim,

          Here's the EDIT (required), Edit (suggested), and Comments (nits).

          Once you've fixed this, upload at will.

          Welcome to the graybeards.
          Jim

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:

          > A brief squeak of the bag pipes...

          #### Comment: Bagpipes don't squeak. They deliver a melliflous
          harmonization of the vocal efforts of many cacaphonous cats squeezed
          to a fair-thee-well of their lives.

          > Long Term Report - Deuter Futura 32 Daypack

          #### Edit: A date is helpful in the headers (e.g. 2nd line).

          > Reviewer Information
          > :

          #### Comment: Assuming this is a Yahooism.

          > Name: Jim Sabiston
          >
          > Date: September 30th, 2003

          #### Comment: Ditto all the extra lines. If not, tighten this up a
          bit by deleting the extra CR/LFs.

          > Backpacking Background:
          > not quite ultralight. I use a hammock or tarp for warm weather,
          and a small four
          > season tent for winter trips. Most of my other gear is very
          changeable, as I

          #### Edit: "four season" is acceptable but "four-season" is
          preferred.

          > Product Information:
          >

          > Manufacturer: Deuter
          >
          > Listed weight: 3 lbs. 5 oz. (1.5 kg)
          >
          > Weight as purchased: 3 lbs. 4.75 Ounces (1.49 kg)
          >
          > Volume: 1950 cu. in. (32 L)

          #### EDIT: the "." is superfluous in all of these. Ounces should be
          abbreviated consistent with the rest (oz). "lbs" or "lb" is
          acceptable although "lb" is preferred. Am assuming excessive line
          spacing is Yahooism else, you can strip the extras here too to
          tighten up the look of the report. Ditto in the section below
          (Construction).

          > Construction:
          >
          > Pack Body: Deuter-Super-Polytex.
          >
          > Frame: Powder coated spring steel.

          #### Edit: "Powder-coated" is usually hyphenated but not required.

          > Suspension: Foam cored shoulder straps and hip wings. Nylon
          and MeshTex

          #### Edit: Ditto "Foam-cored" as this can be viewed as a compound
          word descriptive of the straps. Your call.

          > The Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack:
          >
          > The Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack is a rugged day pack with many well
          thought out

          #### EDIT: I don't think there is necessarily a standard yet
          for "daypack" but it's more frequently presented as a single word by
          retailers (and consistent with what you use in the rest of this
          report).

          > features. As listed on the Deuter web site, these features include
          MeshTex

          #### EDIT: "website" appears to have taken over from the technically
          correct "Web site" (Web being capitalized as it's a proper noun
          referring to the World Wide Web). So either "Web site" or "website"
          should be used. (Source: American Heritage Dictionary)

          > suspension. This design uses bowed spring steel bars to create an
          air space between

          #### Edit: This context probably begs the use of the
          compound "spring-steel" modifier. Your call.

          > the pack body and your back, allowing air to circulate and keeping
          your back

          #### EDIT: Unless this is a direct quote from Deuter (in which case
          enclose it in quotation marks), try to rephrase without "your" --
          it's almost impossible to get into projecting if you don't use the
          words "you" or "yours" and saves me from trying to define the
          slippery slope where it moves from common style (probable case here)
          to projecting (no-no).

          > cool.
          >
          > For more detailed information, please refer to my Initial Report
          and Field
          > Reports, also on the BGT site.

          #### Edit: Good idea to hyperlink these & include anything of
          significant importance here so this can stand alone.

          > Overview:
          >
          > Over the last six months, the Deuter Futura 32 has become an
          important part
          > of my equipment inventory. It's many well thought-out features,
          details and

          #### EDIT: "its" -- possessive case rather than contractual
          form. "Thought out" is generally not a compound word but is a style
          issue.

          > solid construction help to make this a very adaptable pack.
          Labeled a daypack,
          > the Futura 32 has excelled in this application, especially in
          cooler weather
          > when a bit more equipment is carried. During the warmer months, it
          has proven to

          #### EDIT: "was carried" -- you're mixing tenses in your sentence
          ("has" is past tense).

          > The Air-comfort Suspension:

          #### EDIT: Deuter calls it "Aircomfort"

          > While the Deuter Futura 32 sports many excellent details, the most
          > outstanding feature is the Air-comfort Suspension. By simply
          separating the pack body

          #### EDIT: "Aircomfort"

          > seakayak. The stiff metal frame of the Air-comfort suspension was
          not entirely

          #### EDIT: "Aircomfort"

          > Fit and Load Carrying Ability:
          >
          > small for me. Non-the-less, due to the quality materials used in
          the pack's

          #### EDIT: "Nonetheless"

          > Normal daypack loads, even in Winter, pose no problem at all. Warm
          weather

          #### EDIT: "winter" - season names have become common nouns vs.
          proper ones requiring capitalization.

          > and food for several overnight trips in warm and cool weather in
          total

          #### EDIT: extra spaces between "several" and "overnight"

          > comfort. I am convinced that I could manage a three or four day
          warm weather trip

          #### Edit: I've vacillated on commenting on this. Typically reports
          should only state facts. While it may be a fact that you are
          convinced, it would be better if you were able to back that up by
          specific tests (e.g. fill the pack with your typical 3 day warm
          weather gear list) or by caveating the comment by saying something
          like "Based on my typical gear requirements and my experience so
          far, I am convinced..."

          > is a daypack after all. If size becomes an issue, its time to
          consider a

          #### EDIT: "it's time" -- contractual form this time

          > climbing. The only exceptions were two I quart Nalgene water
          bottles in the outside

          #### EDIT: "1 quart Nalgene", I believe the Romans have died out.

          > mesh pockets, but these are stable enough as to not cause a
          problem. I did
          > manage to fit everything in the pack, but that was all it was
          going to take.

          #### Comment: Then that implies you merely found the upper limit
          rather than discovered a flaw or shortcoming. Or was there something
          you wanted to pack but couldn't?

          > Sleeping Bag Compartment:
          > - TNF Flight sleeping bag, inside an Outdoor Research small
          stuff sack
          > (just fits)
          >
          > Main Body Compartment:
          > - Platypus 2 Liter water bag (empty or full, as needed)

          #### EDIT: "liter" doesn't need to be capitalized

          > - Food bag (snacks, breakfast , dinner, SnowPeak double-walled
          titanium

          #### EDIT: extra space before & after comma preceding "dinner"

          > - Therm-rest 3/4 Ultra-lite self-inflating sleeping pad

          #### EDIT: "Therm-a-Rest" is a registered trademark and should be
          spelled only in this form.

          > - Outdoor Research 16 oz. (473 ml) bottle cozy with Lexan
          water bottle

          #### EDIT: As with "ml" the abbreviation for ounces doesn't require
          a "." following it.

          > - 100 feet (30.48 m) of ¼ inch (6.35 mm)cored rope (you never
          know!)

          #### EDIT: missing space between ) and "cored"

          > The load, with all that water, approached 35 lbs. (15.88 kg). The
          Futura 32

          #### EDIT: "35 lb" or "35 lbs"
        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
            > Fuzzy - Thanks for the edits and the restraint. I really
            > expected much more abuse (not that I actually deserve it, or
            > anything!).

            Uh huh. Now move this to Kampfire before I sick Leesa on you.

            :)

            Shane
            Acting List Moderator
          • JimSabis@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
              In a message dated 10/1/2003 12:12:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              colonelcorn76@... writes:

              > Hey Jim,
              >
              > Here's the EDIT (required), Edit (suggested), and Comments (nits).
              >
              > Once you've fixed this, upload at will.
              >
              > Welcome to the graybeards.
              > Jim

              Thanks! 6 months went by pretty quick!

              > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:
              >
              > > A brief squeak of the bag pipes...
              >
              > #### Comment: Bagpipes don't squeak. They deliver a melliflous
              > harmonization of the vocal efforts of many cacaphonous cats squeezed
              > to a fair-thee-well of their lives.

              Indeed. Is there a more melodious sound? I think not!
              Be there some Scot in yer blood?

              ; )

              Jim S.

              The simple Hippocratic oath - 'First, do no harm' - is a far, far more
              radical sentence in the history of thought than it seems. It recognizes the
              existance of evil - illness - that in many ways is beyond our control. It is the
              opposite of magical thinking, witch-doctor think, which promises to make well, to
              cure. 'Do no harm' is the truly radical sentence; 'Cultivate your garden' the
              unforgivable one. - Andre Glucksmann

            • colonelcorn76
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:
                > > #### Comment: Bagpipes don't squeak. They deliver a melliflous
                > > harmonization of the vocal efforts of many cacaphonous cats
                squeezed
                > > to a fair-thee-well of their lives.
                > >

                > Indeed. Is there a more melodious sound? I think not!
                > Be there some Scot in yer blood?
                >
                > ; )
                >
                > Jim S.

                I love 'em but for some reason my wife doesn't. But then she's got a
                Polish/Italian heritage vs. having the heather in her blood.

                My son on the other hand appears to have inherited an appropriate
                appreciation for the pipes (including wanting to learn to play).

                Jim