APPLICATION TO TEST eVENT SOUTH COL BIVY

  • Jason Boyle
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      Please accept my application to test the eVENT South Col Bivy. I
      have read the current survival guide v1202 and agree to abide by all
      rules. Shane has received my BGT aggreement. If chosen to test the
      bivy, I would prefer a regular with a right zipper.

      Name: Jason Boyle
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 6''
      Weight: 170
      Email address: c4jc@...
      City, State, Country: Waldorf, Maryland, U.S.
      Date: October 1, 2003

      Backpacking Background: I have been camping and backpacking for
      about 15 years. I started when I was 11 in Boy Scouts. I hiked in
      mostly the southern United States (Florida, Alabama, Georgia) when I
      started. Afterwards, I went to college in Connecticut and became
      versed in the New England Outdoors. I currently live near Washington
      D.C. and hike and backpack in the Mid Atlantic Mountains. I have
      been section hiking the Appalachian Trail and have completed all of
      the Connecticut and Maryland sections, and I am currently working on
      the Virginia section. I am not an ultra light hiker nor am I pack
      mule hauling everything but the kitchen sink. I only take stuff that
      I plan on using.

      Testing Plan

      I will be doing several overnight trips this fall and winter on the
      Appalachian Trail to continue in my quest to finish the Virginia
      Section of the AT. Temperatures routinely get below freezing and
      there is usually plenty of snow. Additionally, I will be going on
      several winter camping trips with my scout troop and our destinations
      usually have snow. I have recently started Hammock camping, but
      don't intend to use it in the winter and this Bivy will allow me to
      lighten up my load and not have to carry a tent. I plan on using the
      Bivy with a three season LaFuma bag, liner, ¾ backpacker thermarest
      and my crazy creek chair as additional insulation. Based on the
      specifications of the Bivy I should be fine. There are two main
      things that I will be looking at SPACE and PROTECTION.

      SPACE:
      I have never used a bivy before, so I am interested in how
      much space I will have inside. Will I feel like I am in a body bag?
      Can I read or write in my journal? I sleep in all positions (back,
      side, stomach) so will I have enough room to roll around in the bivy
      without ending up with the top on the bottom and the bottom on the
      top? How well does the material breathe? Will I have frozen
      condensation in the bivy?

      PROTECTION:
      How well does the waterproof bottom work? What about the
      top? Can I use it in the rain or do I need to use a tarp with it?
      How well does it work in the snow? Will snow or wind blow in through
      the zipper? How does it hold up different types of floors, wood,
      dirt, rocks, snow?

      Thank you for your consideration of my application.

      Owner Reviews

      GoLite Phantom Jacket
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Rain%20Gear/Jackets%20and%
      20Pants/GoLite%20Phantom%20Jacket/Owner%20Review%20by%20Jason%20Boyle/

      Princeton Tech Aurora
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%
      20LED/Princeton%20Tec%20Aurora/Owner%20Reviews/Owner%20Review%20by%
      20Jason%20Boyle/