Long Term Report - Deuter Futura 32

  • JimSabis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2003
      A drum roll...

      A brief squeak of the bag pipes...

      And.....

      Here, for your editing pleasure (and Fuzzy's paybacks) is my first Long Term
      Report:

      I had to speed this one up, just cause Fuzzy looked so alone out there, going
      grey in the beard and all.... ; )

      Long Term Report - Deuter Futura 32 Daypack

      Reviewer Information
      :

      Name: Jim Sabiston

      Age: 49

      Gender: Male

      Height: 6'3" (1.9 meters)

      Weight: 207 lbs. (94 kilos)

      Torso Length: 22.5 in. (56 cm)

      Email address: JimSabis(at)aol(dot)com

      City: Bay Shore (Long Island)

      State: New York

      Country: USA

      Date: September 30th, 2003

      Backpacking Background:

      I've been camping for several decades. I joined the Adirondack Mountain Club
      three years ago, the Appalachian Mountain Club a year later and am active in
      both. I have also expanded my backpacking to include more winter trips,
      mountaineering and back country cross country skiing, and participated in the AMC's
      Winter Mountaineering training program with Chauvin International Climbing
      Guides. More recently, I have actively studied ways to backpack lighter and more
      efficiently. During the summer months, my style tends toward very light, but
      not quite ultralight. I use a hammock or tarp for warm weather, and a small four
      season tent for winter trips. Most of my other gear is very changeable, as I
      am constantly experimenting with gear and techniques.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Deuter

      Year of Manufacture: 2003

      Listed weight: 3 lbs. 5 oz. (1.5 kg)

      Weight as purchased: 3 lbs. 4.75 Ounces (1.49 kg)

      Volume: 1950 cu. in. (32 L)

      Construction:

      Pack Body: Deuter-Super-Polytex.

      Frame: Powder coated spring steel.

      Suspension: Foam cored shoulder straps and hip wings. Nylon and MeshTex
      lumbar pads and upper back pad.

      MSRP: N/A

      The Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack:

      The Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack is a rugged day pack with many well thought out
      features. As listed on the Deuter web site, these features include MeshTex
      covered foam shoulder straps, top stabilizer straps, padded hip belt, side
      compression straps, mesh side pockets, built-in rain cover, zippered compartment
      separator, top lid pocket, hiking pole and ice axe loops, and is hydration
      system compatible. The signature feature of the Futura 32 is the Aircomfort
      suspension. This design uses bowed spring steel bars to create an air space between
      the pack body and your back, allowing air to circulate and keeping your back
      cool.

      For more detailed information, please refer to my Initial Report and Field
      Reports, also on the BGT site.

      Overview:

      Over the last six months, the Deuter Futura 32 has become an important part
      of my equipment inventory. It's many well thought-out features, details and
      solid construction help to make this a very adaptable pack. Labeled a daypack,
      the Futura 32 has excelled in this application, especially in cooler weather
      when a bit more equipment is carried. During the warmer months, it has proven to
      be an exceptional overnight pack, as well as an excellent daypack for outdoor
      family excursions, when the so-called head of the family ends up carrying all
      the extra goodies.

      The Air-comfort Suspension:

      While the Deuter Futura 32 sports many excellent details, the most
      outstanding feature is the Air-comfort Suspension. By simply separating the pack body
      from my back, the unique suspension has proven to be a dramatic improvement in
      comfort. It significantly improved air circulation and heat dissipation,
      thereby reducing the amount of sweat generated. I have noticed on several occasions
      that I was able to stay hydrated while drinking less water. Of course, an
      important fringe benefit is that I remained more cool, dry and comfortable than I
      might have been with another pack. The only time the suspension proved to be a
      liability was when I tried to stuff the pack into the rear cargo hatch of my
      seakayak. The stiff metal frame of the Air-comfort suspension was not entirely
      happy being squeezed into this relatively small space. An internal frame
      pack, or even a duffle, would work better, but this is well outside the normal job
      description of this pack!

      Fit and Load Carrying Ability:

      As mentioned in my Initial and Field Reports, I am at the outside range of a
      proper fit of the Deuter Futura 32. It could probably be argued that it is too
      small for me. Non-the-less, due to the quality materials used in the pack's
      construction, especially in the areas of suspension padding, the Deuter Futura
      32 remains a very comfortable pack for me.

      Normal daypack loads, even in Winter, pose no problem at all. Warm weather
      overnights are handled easily, as long as I don't over pack. I have carried gear
      and food for several overnight trips in warm and cool weather in total
      comfort. I am convinced that I could manage a three or four day warm weather trip
      with this pack, as long as I don't expect to eat too fancy and I choose my
      gear carefully. Ultimately, the only limitation of this pack is its size, but, it
      is a daypack after all. If size becomes an issue, its time to consider a
      larger pack.

      I find the Deuter Futura 32 remarkable in its overall load carrying ability,
      especially for a pack of its size. It has been able to handle almost every
      task asked of it. Only once did it falter. This occurred on a recent overnight
      climb when I loaded up on water, nearly five quarts, in addition to adding my
      cool weather sleeping bag. I hit two limits simultaneously: room and weight. I
      prefer to avoid attaching gear to the outside of my pack, especially when
      climbing. The only exceptions were two I quart Nalgene water bottles in the outside
      mesh pockets, but these are stable enough as to not cause a problem. I did
      manage to fit everything in the pack, but that was all it was going to take.

      My gear list is fairly small, which is why it fits into the pack without too
      much fuss. Most items are also selected for light weight and packability:

      Sleeping Bag Compartment:
      - TNF Flight sleeping bag, inside an Outdoor Research small stuff sack
      (just fits)

      Main Body Compartment:
      - Hennesy Ultralight A-Sym Hammock
      - Arc’Teryx Delta Jersey (very light fleece top)
      - Arc’teryx Sirrus LT Jacket
      - Platypus 2 Liter water bag (empty or full, as needed)
      - Food bag (snacks, breakfast , dinner, SnowPeak double-walled titanium
      mug)
      - SnowPeak 3 piece titanium cook set (fuel cartridge inside)
      - SnowPeak Gigapower self-igniting stove
      - Thermolite Emergency Bivy
      - Therm-rest 3/4 Ultra-lite self-inflating sleeping pad

      Inner Pocket:
      - First Aid Kit
      - RITR All Weather Adventure Journal
      - Book for reading (small!)
      - Space Pen

      Top Pocket:
      - Toilet Paper
      - Sangean DT 300-VW Radio with headphones and spare batteries
      - Cell phone with spare battery (turned off!)
      - Tektite Lithium Survival Light
      - small bottle of Deet

      Mesh Pockets:
      - Two 1 quart (.95 L) Nalgene Water bottles

      Attached to Outside of Pack:
      - Tikka Headlamp (in pouch mounted on left shoulder strap)
      - CRKT Stiff Kiss Knife (clipped to upper left compression strap)
      - Outdoor Research belt Pouch (a few snack bars and a Silva Compass)
      - Outdoor Research 16 oz. (473 ml) bottle cozy with Lexan water bottle
      (on belt)
      - Canon G2 Camera (mounted to upper right compression strap)
      - 100 feet (30.48 m) of ¼ inch (6.35 mm)cored rope (you never know!)

      The load, with all that water, approached 35 lbs. (15.88 kg). The Futura 32
      handled the job, but it did seem to strain a bit, which I felt mostly in my
      shoulders. The hip belt and padding felt as comfortable as ever. Fortunately, the
      distance and elevation gain for the first section of the hike were fairly
      minor. After the water load was reduced to something more typical, two quarts,
      the pack reverted to its usual, comfortable self.

      Wear & Tear:

      The Deuter Futura 32 continues to prove its very rugged nature. The pack
      shows few signs of wear in spite of some very rough use inflicted on it during the
      last six months. Some examples of the abuse include being crammed in the back
      of my Jeep for weeks at a time, hopping from trailhead to trailhead, being
      pummeled by fishing gear, groceries, household repair supplies and kayaking and
      canoeing equipment. Even worse were the Catskill bushwhacks, when the Deuter
      Futura 32 was used as a body shield when pushing through thick and sharp stands
      of spruce and balsam. The final indignity occurred on the numerous occasions
      when the pack was pushed into, rubbed against and finally dragged over the
      abrasive rocks of the Catskill peaks and included occasional use as a sitting
      pad.

      A careful examination of the pack finds only two points of visible wear. On
      one of the mesh side pockets I found a very small bit of frayed mesh material.
      This is a very minor cosmetic issue. On the bottom of the pack, right about in
      the center of the sleeping bag compartment cover, is an abraded scuff mark
      about 2 inches (51 mm)long. This was almost certainly caused by rubbing against
      a sharp rock during a recent climb. Once again, the affect of the damage is
      only cosmetic. My own body shows more battle scars from these trips than the
      pack does!

      Aside from these minor and perfectly acceptable cosmetic mileage markers, the
      pack is in nearly perfect condition. No other signs of wear are at all
      apparent. All the zippers and clips continue to work like new and the foam padding
      in the shoulder straps and suspension show no evidence of loosing its shape. My
      legs should be so lucky.

      Closing Thoughts:

      The Deuter Futura 32 is a daypack I will heartily recommend to anyone
      considering a pack in this size range. In fact, if I had to choose a single 'do
      everything' pack, the Deuter Futura 32 would almost certainly be my choice. The
      combination of quality construction, rugged materials and multiple uses make this
      a very attractive pack.

      The pack gets consideration for every trip and gets excluded only when the
      trip calls for a larger pack or one much smaller. It is slowly, but surely,
      moving into my ‘old friend’ area reserved for tried and true gear. I expect to
      have a long and happy relationship with the Deuter Futura 32.
    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 2003
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:
        > Here, for your editing pleasure (and Fuzzy's paybacks)
        Bwahahaha!!!! I will set about nit-picking it shortly...

        > is my first Long Term Report:

        > I had to speed this one up, just cause Fuzzy looked so alone out
        there, going grey in the beard and all.... ; )

        You know... I could swear I touched up those photos...

        Fuzzy
      • Fuzzy
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 2003
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:
          > Weight: 207 lbs. (94 kilos)
          [EDIT] Do not pluralize units - and no periods, either... throughout
          report.

          > Email address: JimSabis(at)aol(dot)com
          [comment] I've got you on my buddy list, and will say hi some night
          when I have time to kill.

          > a small four season tent for winter trips.
          [edit] four-season

          > This design uses bowed spring steel bars to create an air space
          between the pack body and your back, allowing air to circulate and
          keeping your back cool.
          [edit] Hmmm... you/your?

          > It's many well thought-out features,
          [EDIT] "Its" is the posessive, "It's" means "It is"

          > The only exceptions were two I quart Nalgene water bottles
          [edit] Use a "one" instead of the letter I before quart.

          Fuzzy
        • JimSabis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
            In a message dated 9/30/03 11:00:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            ckime@... writes:

            > > Email address: JimSabis(at)aol(dot)com
            > [comment] I've got you on my buddy list, and will say hi some night
            > when I have time to kill.

            Fuzzy - Thanks for the edits and the restraint. I really expected much more
            abuse (not that I actually deserve it, or anything!).

            You can say Hi anytime! The 'time to kill' comment definitely applies, as I
            still have three reports due tonite and over the next week or so, plus the
            editing and uploads that come with it. Everything seems to have come due at once!
            After the wave passes, I want to start learning a bit about HTML and
            formatting to pretty up my reports a bit. Your new ones are looking real nice, by the
            way!

            All this and I'm trying to put together a 3 day hike this weekend to field
            test the Brasslite Turbo II-D stove!

            Great fun!!

            Jim S.

          • colonelcorn76
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <ckime@n...> wrote:

              Wow that was restrained! Tired?

              :-)
            • Fuzzy
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76"
                <colonelcorn76@y...> wrote:
                > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <ckime@n...> wrote:
                >
                > Wow that was restrained! Tired?
                >
                > :-)

                Tired? Yes. Life-changing events going on this month, as mentioned
                recently at Kampfire.

                Restrained? Well, I saw what I saw. I didn't comment on style, only
                specifics that I saw.

                Fuzzy
              • Fuzzy
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:
                  > Fuzzy - Thanks for the edits and the restraint. I really expected
                  much more abuse (not that I actually deserve it, or anything!).

                  There really wasn't that much to say... of course, I could blame it
                  on being very tired. :->

                  > You can say Hi anytime! The 'time to kill' comment definitely
                  applies, as I still have three reports due tonite and over the next
                  week or so, plus the editing and uploads that come with it.
                  Everything seems to have come due at once!

                  That's what you get for being a newbie who got additional tests
                  anyway... feels good, don't it?

                  > After the wave passes, I want to start learning a bit about HTML
                  and formatting to pretty up my reports a bit. Your new ones are
                  looking real nice, by the way!

                  Thanks. I actually hand-code my HTML. Once I have a basic HTML
                  format figured out, I just cut-and-paste the text from my Word
                  version into the HTML version. It isn't a fancy interface by any
                  means, but I have been programming in one form or another since I was
                  13, so I am comfortable with raw code.

                  > All this and I'm trying to put together a 3 day hike this weekend
                  to field test the Brasslite Turbo II-D stove!

                  My big field test for Mama's Kitchen was Pikes Peak, which was only a
                  one-day hike, but... hoo boy, what a day! That, and the 4-5 hours I
                  spent measuring and timing on my stove for the boil time comparisons.

                  > Great fun!!

                  That's why we do it, right?

                  > Jim S.

                  Fuzzy
                • colonelcorn76
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Hey Jim,

                    Here's the EDIT (required), Edit (suggested), and Comments (nits).

                    Once you've fixed this, upload at will.

                    Welcome to the graybeards.
                    Jim

                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:

                    > A brief squeak of the bag pipes...

                    #### Comment: Bagpipes don't squeak. They deliver a melliflous
                    harmonization of the vocal efforts of many cacaphonous cats squeezed
                    to a fair-thee-well of their lives.

                    > Long Term Report - Deuter Futura 32 Daypack

                    #### Edit: A date is helpful in the headers (e.g. 2nd line).

                    > Reviewer Information
                    > :

                    #### Comment: Assuming this is a Yahooism.

                    > Name: Jim Sabiston
                    >
                    > Date: September 30th, 2003

                    #### Comment: Ditto all the extra lines. If not, tighten this up a
                    bit by deleting the extra CR/LFs.

                    > Backpacking Background:
                    > not quite ultralight. I use a hammock or tarp for warm weather,
                    and a small four
                    > season tent for winter trips. Most of my other gear is very
                    changeable, as I

                    #### Edit: "four season" is acceptable but "four-season" is
                    preferred.

                    > Product Information:
                    >

                    > Manufacturer: Deuter
                    >
                    > Listed weight: 3 lbs. 5 oz. (1.5 kg)
                    >
                    > Weight as purchased: 3 lbs. 4.75 Ounces (1.49 kg)
                    >
                    > Volume: 1950 cu. in. (32 L)

                    #### EDIT: the "." is superfluous in all of these. Ounces should be
                    abbreviated consistent with the rest (oz). "lbs" or "lb" is
                    acceptable although "lb" is preferred. Am assuming excessive line
                    spacing is Yahooism else, you can strip the extras here too to
                    tighten up the look of the report. Ditto in the section below
                    (Construction).

                    > Construction:
                    >
                    > Pack Body: Deuter-Super-Polytex.
                    >
                    > Frame: Powder coated spring steel.

                    #### Edit: "Powder-coated" is usually hyphenated but not required.

                    > Suspension: Foam cored shoulder straps and hip wings. Nylon
                    and MeshTex

                    #### Edit: Ditto "Foam-cored" as this can be viewed as a compound
                    word descriptive of the straps. Your call.

                    > The Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack:
                    >
                    > The Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack is a rugged day pack with many well
                    thought out

                    #### EDIT: I don't think there is necessarily a standard yet
                    for "daypack" but it's more frequently presented as a single word by
                    retailers (and consistent with what you use in the rest of this
                    report).

                    > features. As listed on the Deuter web site, these features include
                    MeshTex

                    #### EDIT: "website" appears to have taken over from the technically
                    correct "Web site" (Web being capitalized as it's a proper noun
                    referring to the World Wide Web). So either "Web site" or "website"
                    should be used. (Source: American Heritage Dictionary)

                    > suspension. This design uses bowed spring steel bars to create an
                    air space between

                    #### Edit: This context probably begs the use of the
                    compound "spring-steel" modifier. Your call.

                    > the pack body and your back, allowing air to circulate and keeping
                    your back

                    #### EDIT: Unless this is a direct quote from Deuter (in which case
                    enclose it in quotation marks), try to rephrase without "your" --
                    it's almost impossible to get into projecting if you don't use the
                    words "you" or "yours" and saves me from trying to define the
                    slippery slope where it moves from common style (probable case here)
                    to projecting (no-no).

                    > cool.
                    >
                    > For more detailed information, please refer to my Initial Report
                    and Field
                    > Reports, also on the BGT site.

                    #### Edit: Good idea to hyperlink these & include anything of
                    significant importance here so this can stand alone.

                    > Overview:
                    >
                    > Over the last six months, the Deuter Futura 32 has become an
                    important part
                    > of my equipment inventory. It's many well thought-out features,
                    details and

                    #### EDIT: "its" -- possessive case rather than contractual
                    form. "Thought out" is generally not a compound word but is a style
                    issue.

                    > solid construction help to make this a very adaptable pack.
                    Labeled a daypack,
                    > the Futura 32 has excelled in this application, especially in
                    cooler weather
                    > when a bit more equipment is carried. During the warmer months, it
                    has proven to

                    #### EDIT: "was carried" -- you're mixing tenses in your sentence
                    ("has" is past tense).

                    > The Air-comfort Suspension:

                    #### EDIT: Deuter calls it "Aircomfort"

                    > While the Deuter Futura 32 sports many excellent details, the most
                    > outstanding feature is the Air-comfort Suspension. By simply
                    separating the pack body

                    #### EDIT: "Aircomfort"

                    > seakayak. The stiff metal frame of the Air-comfort suspension was
                    not entirely

                    #### EDIT: "Aircomfort"

                    > Fit and Load Carrying Ability:
                    >
                    > small for me. Non-the-less, due to the quality materials used in
                    the pack's

                    #### EDIT: "Nonetheless"

                    > Normal daypack loads, even in Winter, pose no problem at all. Warm
                    weather

                    #### EDIT: "winter" - season names have become common nouns vs.
                    proper ones requiring capitalization.

                    > and food for several overnight trips in warm and cool weather in
                    total

                    #### EDIT: extra spaces between "several" and "overnight"

                    > comfort. I am convinced that I could manage a three or four day
                    warm weather trip

                    #### Edit: I've vacillated on commenting on this. Typically reports
                    should only state facts. While it may be a fact that you are
                    convinced, it would be better if you were able to back that up by
                    specific tests (e.g. fill the pack with your typical 3 day warm
                    weather gear list) or by caveating the comment by saying something
                    like "Based on my typical gear requirements and my experience so
                    far, I am convinced..."

                    > is a daypack after all. If size becomes an issue, its time to
                    consider a

                    #### EDIT: "it's time" -- contractual form this time

                    > climbing. The only exceptions were two I quart Nalgene water
                    bottles in the outside

                    #### EDIT: "1 quart Nalgene", I believe the Romans have died out.

                    > mesh pockets, but these are stable enough as to not cause a
                    problem. I did
                    > manage to fit everything in the pack, but that was all it was
                    going to take.

                    #### Comment: Then that implies you merely found the upper limit
                    rather than discovered a flaw or shortcoming. Or was there something
                    you wanted to pack but couldn't?

                    > Sleeping Bag Compartment:
                    > - TNF Flight sleeping bag, inside an Outdoor Research small
                    stuff sack
                    > (just fits)
                    >
                    > Main Body Compartment:
                    > - Platypus 2 Liter water bag (empty or full, as needed)

                    #### EDIT: "liter" doesn't need to be capitalized

                    > - Food bag (snacks, breakfast , dinner, SnowPeak double-walled
                    titanium

                    #### EDIT: extra space before & after comma preceding "dinner"

                    > - Therm-rest 3/4 Ultra-lite self-inflating sleeping pad

                    #### EDIT: "Therm-a-Rest" is a registered trademark and should be
                    spelled only in this form.

                    > - Outdoor Research 16 oz. (473 ml) bottle cozy with Lexan
                    water bottle

                    #### EDIT: As with "ml" the abbreviation for ounces doesn't require
                    a "." following it.

                    > - 100 feet (30.48 m) of ¼ inch (6.35 mm)cored rope (you never
                    know!)

                    #### EDIT: missing space between ) and "cored"

                    > The load, with all that water, approached 35 lbs. (15.88 kg). The
                    Futura 32

                    #### EDIT: "35 lb" or "35 lbs"
                  • Shane Steinkamp
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                      > Fuzzy - Thanks for the edits and the restraint. I really
                      > expected much more abuse (not that I actually deserve it, or
                      > anything!).

                      Uh huh. Now move this to Kampfire before I sick Leesa on you.

                      :)

                      Shane
                      Acting List Moderator
                    • JimSabis@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                        In a message dated 10/1/2003 12:12:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        colonelcorn76@... writes:

                        > Hey Jim,
                        >
                        > Here's the EDIT (required), Edit (suggested), and Comments (nits).
                        >
                        > Once you've fixed this, upload at will.
                        >
                        > Welcome to the graybeards.
                        > Jim

                        Thanks! 6 months went by pretty quick!

                        > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:
                        >
                        > > A brief squeak of the bag pipes...
                        >
                        > #### Comment: Bagpipes don't squeak. They deliver a melliflous
                        > harmonization of the vocal efforts of many cacaphonous cats squeezed
                        > to a fair-thee-well of their lives.

                        Indeed. Is there a more melodious sound? I think not!
                        Be there some Scot in yer blood?

                        ; )

                        Jim S.

                        The simple Hippocratic oath - 'First, do no harm' - is a far, far more
                        radical sentence in the history of thought than it seems. It recognizes the
                        existance of evil - illness - that in many ways is beyond our control. It is the
                        opposite of magical thinking, witch-doctor think, which promises to make well, to
                        cure. 'Do no harm' is the truly radical sentence; 'Cultivate your garden' the
                        unforgivable one. - Andre Glucksmann

                      • colonelcorn76
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:
                          > > #### Comment: Bagpipes don't squeak. They deliver a melliflous
                          > > harmonization of the vocal efforts of many cacaphonous cats
                          squeezed
                          > > to a fair-thee-well of their lives.
                          > >

                          > Indeed. Is there a more melodious sound? I think not!
                          > Be there some Scot in yer blood?
                          >
                          > ; )
                          >
                          > Jim S.

                          I love 'em but for some reason my wife doesn't. But then she's got a
                          Polish/Italian heritage vs. having the heather in her blood.

                          My son on the other hand appears to have inherited an appropriate
                          appreciation for the pipes (including wanting to learn to play).

                          Jim