APPLICATION-ID Hot Sox and Down Mitts

  • Jack Corrigan
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 12:59 PM
      Tester Application (BGT Survival Guide v. 1202):
      Integral Designs Hot Sox and Down Mitts

      Hot Sox-Large (red)
      Down Mitts-Medium (red)

      I would like to apply to test the Hot Sox and Down Mitts. I think there is a saying, cold feet and hands are like opinions, everyone's got them at one time or another or something along those lines.

      I'm one of those people that has to have their feet covered when inside or outside, practically year round. While we're on the subject, my feet are quick to perspire whatever the temperature or insulating layers used. The scenario of having to warm wet or sweaty feet after a day's worth of cold weather activity is all to familiar. My hands are also quick to get cold, especially the hand with the index finger that I attempted to shear the tip off, using the driver's side door of a 91 Ford Ranger! But that's another story.

      The challenge of this series will be to test the effectiveness for warming and keeping warm while not overheating. The Hot Sox will be used in a tent, hammock and cabin. In addition, the Hot Sox will be used as sleeping socks in a couple of different sleeping bags. The effectiveness for warming and keeping warm while not overheating will also be tested for the Down Mitts. This will be done around camp and during inactive times or rest periods that follow performing tasks with a ungloved hand or wearing a different type of glove.

      Other characteristics such as packability, durability of materials, as well as care and any maintenance will be evaluated.
      PRELIMINARY TEST PLAN

      Initial Testing (October)
      - Complete a visual inspection and comparison to manufacturer printed and on-line documentation.
      - Perform an initial fit test to verify that I will be able to use it as planned.
      - Finalize field test plan.

      Field Testing-(October-December)
      - Use Hot Sox and Down Mitts as intended.
      - Evaluate material performance in these conditions.
      - Complete a final visual inspection.
      - Adjust long term test plan to address any issues identified during the field test period.

      Long Term Testing (December-April)
      - Continue to use the Hot Sox and Down Mitts as intended paying particular attention to verifying temperature rating claims.
      - Evaluate material performance in these conditions.
      - Complete a final visual inspection.

      Thank you for taking the time to consider my application.

      I last read the BGT Survival Guide (v. 1202) on 07/09/03 and will comply with all the report requirements. I understand that each gear item will be reported on separately for a total of six reports. My tester agreement is on file.

      BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION:

      Name: John (Jack) Corrigan
      Age: 40 years old
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5 feet 10 inches
      Weight: 175 pounds
      Torso: 20 inches
      Waist Size: 34 inches
      Men's Shoe Size: 9.5 US Men's
      Email: jack@... (Website: http://www.jackquest.com/JackQuest/index.html) Location: Fredericksburg, VA 22408 (Spotsylvania County in Northern Virginia)

      I have always been one to do the outdoor thing as compared to the organized sport thing. It started as a youngster in the Boy Scouts and continues today as an adult. The majority of my experience has been in Pennsylvania but I have hiked, camped or paddled in New York, California and even Alaska. I would classify myself as a mid-weight (primarily tent sleeper) trekker. I have cut weight where it has been practical for me, but I still like my gadgets close at hand.

      I am also currently a volunteer search and rescue canine handler. Although search and rescue doesn't always result in an overnight or multi-day trip, I am required to be prepared, equipped and trained for it. Training a search dog results in many hours of trekking through many different woodland areas.

      FIELD INFORMATION:

      Proposed Locations:

      For the most part, the proposed testing locations will be in the Mid-Atlantic region primarily northern Virginia and northeastern Pennsylvania. Base Camp VA (home) is conveniently located near many local, state and federal recreation areas. In addition the Appalachian Trail and Shenandoah National Park are only a few hours away. Base Camp PA (cabin), which is located in the Endless Mountain Region of Pennsylvania is also located near state parks and state forest areas, as well as lesser known trail systems such as the Loyalsock Trail.

      Now that I am living in Virginia trips to our cabin are less frequent, maybe once or twice every three or four months. But Shenandoah National Park, Washington National Forest and Jefferson National Forest are soon to be regular trekking spots.

      Description of Locations:

      The terrain of the proposed testing locations is varied, and ranges from flat low grass and lightly forested regions to mountain "elevations" of 200 to 3500 feet. Trail systems range from established foot paths to undeveloped logging roads and even the occasional bushwhack.

      Expected Weather Conditions:

      This test series (initial report through long term report) will be conducted from approximately October through April.

      I am not as familiar with the weather in Northern Virginia as I was with the weather in Pennsylvania. After some weather research I will offer the following sample temperature data points for the Upper Piedmont/Northern Neck region of Virginia:

      September (69F)

      October (58F)

      November (47F)

      December (37F)

      January (35F)

      February (37F)

      March (45F)

      April (56F)

      May (65F)

      Then again, I'm not a meteorologist! However, I am an all season, all weather tester and will record actual weather conditions in the specific test reports.

      Style:

      My "style" is best described as recreational camping, mid-weight backpacking (2-3 day treks), day hiking, flat water paddling and canine search and rescue activities. My treks are usually limited to 3-4 days in length. Although, my last extended (more than 1 week) outing was the summer of 2001, as a volunteer for the Armed Forces Eco-Challenge in interior Alaska. I also include two of my four dogs in most of my outdoor activities.

      TEST REPORTS IN PROGRESS:

      Granite Gear Ruff Rider Dog Pack
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Animal%20Companion%20Gear/Animal%20Packs/Granite%20Gear%20Ruff%20Rider%202003/Jack%20Corrigan/
      (Long Term Report Due 10/03)

      Princeton Tec Yukon Headlamp
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20Hybrid/Princeton%20Tec%20Yukon/John%20Corrigan/
      Field Report Due 11/03)

      TEST REPORTS COMPLETE:

      Ruff Wear Quickdraw Leash
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Animal%20Companion%20Gear/Animal%20Leashes%20and%20Collars/Ruff%20Wear%20Quickdraw%20Leash%20and%20Collar/Jack%20Corrigan/

      Big Agnes Mad House Tent
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Big%20Agnes%20Mad%20House/Jack%20Corrigan/

      N.E.O.S. Navigator 5
      STABILicers SPORTs
      Brasslite Solo
      Ruff Wear Tea Tree and Oats Soap
      Granite Gear Vapor Trail Backpack
      Soltac CookSack
      Equinox Ultralite Compression Stuff Sack
      Cache Lake Foods
      Princeton Tec Aurora
      National Geographic Adventure Paper
      Pac Flat Backpacker Grill
      Planet Dog Travel Bowl and Pack
      Swiss Army Victorinox-Classic

      OWNER REVIEWS:

      REI MTS Lightweight Long-Sleeve Zip T-Neck
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Shirts/REI_MTS_Long-Sleeve_Zip_T-Neck/Owner%20Review%20by%20J.%20Corrigan/

      REI Gore-Tex Fabric Socks
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Socks/REI%20Gore-Tex%20Fabric%20Socks/Owner%20Review%20by%20Jack%20Corrigan/

      Loki 3 in 1 Straight Hat
      Packtowl
      Marmot Walkabout Lumbar Pack
      Platypus Big Zip 3
      Loyalsock Trail Guide
      Therm-a-Rest Z-Rest
      Timberline 2
      Brunton Eclipse 8097
      Ruff Wear Trail Runner Bowl
      Leatherman Micra
      OR Crocodile Gaiters

      TESTS MONITORED:

      Brasslite Turbo IID (gear shipped and arriving)
      Tarptent Virga (field test in progress)
      Mountainsmith Wisp (field test in progress)
      Psolar.EX Mask (complete)
      Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Hammock (complete)
      Hennessy Explorer Ultralite Hammock (complete)
      Birdiepal Umbrella (complete)

      TEAM JackQuest
      Jack, Cyber and Drager
      www.jackquest.com