Lawson Hammock Interim Report
- I have an update to my 3rd Report. Specifically, I have finally had the
opportunity to test the Lawson Hammock in weather. It did not fare
I took the Lawson to summer camp with my scout troop, and spent the
first half of the week hoping for an overnight rain so I could see how
it would do in a good storm. On Wednesday night I got my wish: a good,
blowing thunderstorm. Within minutes of the start of the storm, the
water began pouring into the hammock, all of it entering on the ends
where the hammock bed meets the buffer material. Wanting to see how it
would do straight off the rack, I had not seam sealed the hammock prior
to taking it out. I got my answer. Fortunately I had a tent to go to
for the rest of the night.
The following morning I examined the hammock for flaws in my set-up and
dried up the puddle in the bed.
I plan to make a few adjustments in how I attach the fly, I will
seam-seal the leaking areas (as well as the rest of the unit) and I will
add drip lines on the cords leading to the hammock bed. Once complete,
I will begin hoping for a stormy night again.
On another note, I continue to be frustrated with the difficulty
deciding what to do with my gear (particularly raingear and shoes) once
I'm in the hammock for the night. The pockets provided are entirely too
small, and each night I found myself sleeping with my stuff between my
legs, and eventually underneath me.
There has to be a better way to keep my gear handy and out of the
elements! More in my 6-month report.....
David S Harris