Lawson Hammock Interim Report

  • David & Monica Harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2001
      I have an update to my 3rd Report. Specifically, I have finally had the
      opportunity to test the Lawson Hammock in weather. It did not fare
      well.

      I took the Lawson to summer camp with my scout troop, and spent the
      first half of the week hoping for an overnight rain so I could see how
      it would do in a good storm. On Wednesday night I got my wish: a good,
      blowing thunderstorm. Within minutes of the start of the storm, the
      water began pouring into the hammock, all of it entering on the ends
      where the hammock bed meets the buffer material. Wanting to see how it
      would do straight off the rack, I had not seam sealed the hammock prior
      to taking it out. I got my answer. Fortunately I had a tent to go to
      for the rest of the night.

      The following morning I examined the hammock for flaws in my set-up and
      dried up the puddle in the bed.

      I plan to make a few adjustments in how I attach the fly, I will
      seam-seal the leaking areas (as well as the rest of the unit) and I will
      add drip lines on the cords leading to the hammock bed. Once complete,
      I will begin hoping for a stormy night again.

      On another note, I continue to be frustrated with the difficulty
      deciding what to do with my gear (particularly raingear and shoes) once
      I'm in the hammock for the night. The pockets provided are entirely too
      small, and each night I found myself sleeping with my stuff between my
      legs, and eventually underneath me.

      There has to be a better way to keep my gear handy and out of the
      elements! More in my 6-month report.....

      David S Harris
      harrises@...