Women's sizes

  • David Spellman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23 1:15 PM
      Most large retail clothing stores buy their clothes with a distribution
      of sizes based on size demographics of the general population. Retail
      stores that have a lot of sizes at one point or another in the range
      left over after the season need to communicate that to their buyers, so
      that the particular demographics for that store can be adjusted for the
      next buy.
      In sporting goods shops, there's likely going to be a shift in the
      sizes that go most quickly. Some manufacturers don't design their
      clothes specifically for layering, for example, so customers who will be
      layering their clothes may choose a size larger than what they would
      normally, thus skewing the size purchases that the retailer will see for
      that manufacturer. Good, knowledgable buyers will figure this stuff out,
      and buy accordingly. Not-so-good buyers will still have a lot of size 8
      and under left on the rack.

      david