RE: [BackpackGearTest]EDIT Initial Report: Princeton Tec Scout

  • Rebecca
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      Hi Carol - just a few edits/comments for you. Upload when ready!
      Date: August 28, 2003
      Backpacking background: For the past 6 years, I've backpacked about
      30 days each year. Most of my trips were three to six days long,
      and were in Arizona, the High Sierras, Idaho, Oregon, Utah,
      Pennsylvania and New York. My three-season base pack weight varies
      from 13.5 lb (6 kg) to 9 lb (4 kg). I use a tarp for shelter in all
      four seasons.

      The Scout is a small, waterproof, two L.E.D. headlamp. The lamp is
      on a hinge and can be tilted down, and it can be removed from the
      headband completely. The lamp has five lighting modes: low,
      medium, and high continuous light, and two blinking modes.

      Manufacturer: Princeton Tec
      Year of manufacture: 2003
      Listed weight: 1.85 oz (52 g) with batteries
      Weight as delivered: 1.7 oz (48 g) with batteries
      Weight of headlamp without strap: 1.0 oz (28 g)
      Bulbs: two high-powered white L.E.D.s
      Batteries: four 2032 Lithium coin cell, included
      Listed Burn time for batteries: 24 hours on high/36 hours on
      medium/48 hours on low

      The Scout arrived on August 22, 2003. It was packed inside a tough
      plastic display case inside a cardboard box. The plastic case is
      transparent and showed off the lamp part of the Scout. Labeling
      includes product information, company address, and indicates the
      Scout comes with a lifetime warranty.

      I was able to pop open the plastic case without having to perform
      delicate surgery to extract the Scout. First, I put the Scout on a
      Royal Ex1 scale and was happy to see it weighed only 1.7 oz (48 g).
      The headband is easily adjustable and felt comfortable on my medium
      to large head. There is plenty of room for adjustment in the
      headband to accommodate a head larger or smaller than mine. The
      headband is ¾" (1.9 cm) wide. The hinge is stiff; it takes two
      hands to tilt the lamp downwards. The on/off/mode selection button
      is located at the top center of the headlamp. The button is small
      and must be deliberately pushed to turn the lamp on. There seems to
      be no danger of accidentally turning the Scout on. In fact, I will
      specifically be testing to see how easy the headlamp is to operate
      with gloves on. The button is inaccessible unless the lamp is
      tilted forward. An extension from the plastic backing protrudes to
      cover the button. I'm not sure of the purpose for this. Maybe that
      will become clear during testing. My initial thought is that it is
      a nuisance to have to use both hands to tilt the lamp forward before
      it can be turned on.

      I took a short walk along an unlighted path in the neighborhood. I
      had no trouble walking using the Scout on high power to light my
      way. I'll do more testing on night hiking with the Scout in more
      remote areas.

      I took the Scout into a dark room and used it on low power to read a
      page in a book. It worked very well. The whole page was
      illuminated softly; no blinding glare off the page.

      The sliders the headband passes through on the lamp casing both have
      slits, allowing the headband to be removed easily. Once removed,
      the lamp can be slid onto the brim of a ball cap. In fact, the
      plastic extension that covers the mode control button comes in handy
      to guide the hat brim into place. Aha, maybe that is its purpose!

      There is a hole through the plastic backing that could be used to
      hang the headlamp on a string so it could be worn around the neck,
      for example.

      Examining the package the Scout came in more closely; I found that
      the cardboard insert is removable.
      [Rebecca] ### EDIT: Comma instead of semi colon
      There is some handy information
      on the back of this insert: switch operation, lifetime warranty,
      return policy, battery replacement, and troubleshooting.

      The troubleshooting section includes what to do if water gets on the
      circuit board. This little section was reassuring to me. It
      repeated that the Scout is waterproof, but if water got on the
      circuit board because the case was not properly closed, it would
      normally be easily fixable.

      [Rebecca] ### Comment: Could you expand on this a little? How do they
      recommend fixing this?
      Battery replacement is very simple. Remove a small screw (which has
      a tiny "O" ring to keep the light waterproof), then use an edge
      built into one of the sliders on the headband to pop the light
      open. The light opened very easily, no struggling like I have done
      with the Scout's big brother, the Aurora.

      The instructions for battery replacement and switch operation were
      clear and easy to follow.

      When I first saw the Scout in a store I noted that it ran on four
      Lithium coin cell batteries. I was concerned about the cost of
      replacing these batteries. I did a quick web search to find that
      the four replacement batteries would cost a total of about $14 (12.9
      EUR). Now, only a month and a half later, another web search
      revealed a set of batteries specifically packaged for the Princeton
      Tec Scout, for only $5 (4.6 EUR). I include this information for
      those having the same concerns about battery cost that I had.

      The Princeton Tec website now includes the Scout. The description
      and picture match the Scout I received.

      The quality and workmanship of the Scout appear to very good. On my
      initial examination, it appears to be a very robust light.

      I'll take the Scout along on my backpacking trips during the next
      six months and also perform some at-home trials. I haven't fully
      planned my trips yet, but hope to do a four-day, Fall backpack trip
      in the southern Sierras, and Winter and early Spring trips in
      [Rebecca] ### No need to capitilize the season names.
      Temperatures may vary from 90 F (32 C) to 0 F (-18 C).
      Elevations may vary from 1200' (366 m) to 12,000' (3660 m).

      The following are particular areas I'll be checking out:

      - How easy is the Scout to operate with gloves on?

      - Is the Scout bright enough, with a wide enough beam to be used for
      night hiking?

      - Can I comfortably read a book using the Scout?

      - Is there a purpose for having the lamp mode button covered unless
      the lamp is tilted forward?
      [Rebecca] ### Comment: my guess is for storage, so it doesn't accidentally
      get turned on. But maybe you'll find a better reason! =)

      - Does the lamp stay in place when it is attached to my hat brim?
      Are there other useful places to clip the lamp (the website suggests
      the belt or pack strap)? If clipped near the roof of my tarp is it
      useful as an area light? Is it bright enough, and the beam broad
      enough, to illuminate the interior of the tarp? Can I clip the lamp
      to a string without having to tie it in place?

      - Waterproofness. I'll turn the headlamp on and put it in a bucket
      of water for 30 minutes and report on the results. I'll do this
      after two months of use so I will have already gathered useful
      information, just in case the light fails. If I get the chance,
      I'll also put the Scout out in the rain for a while, and then make
      sure it still works properly. I'll use a shower or spray nozzle to
      simulate rain if I'm not so fortunate as to encounter the real

      - Battery life. I will note how well the Scout lights my tarp and
      campsite or trail, when set on bright, at the beginning of the test
      and at the end. I'll also observe whether there is any discernable
      difference in my ease of reading a book on the lowest setting
      between the start and the end of the testing period. I will attempt
      to keep a rough log of how many hours I've used the Scout.

      - I'll darken a small room to simulate a tarp or tent set up, and
      note any significant differences in how well the Scout lights the
      room as compared to my Aurora (three L.E.D.s) with new batteries.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor