Writing Reviews (was Re: Mountainsmith wisp)

  • rcaffin
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 2, 2003
      Andy Mytys wrote:

      > A backpacker can go out for 10 days and not see a cloud.
      Ha! We should be so lucky, here in Oz.
      When it does stay dry that long, it means a drought is getting going
      and the bush fires will be coming over the hill.

      OK, an exaggeration - slightly. But only slightly. We can NOT assume
      it will not rain here sometime in the next few days. Of course, in
      the UK you can't assume it won't rain sometime in the next few
      hours...

      > But, in terms of things that really need time in the field,
      > we really don't have that many testers that go on lots of
      > overnight trips. We all have day jobs, many have families...
      > obligations and priorities that just come before our beloved
      > backpacking.
      Priorities!
      Do you really want to keep working 5 days a week until you are 65 and
      get the shove? And are then a too old and too unfit for all the good
      walks?
      Priorities!
      </endsermon>

      OOP for the next 5 days. :-)

      Cheers
      Roger caffin
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 2, 2003
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "rcaffin" <r.caffin@t...>
        wrote:
        .
        > Priorities!
        > Do you really want to keep working 5 days a week until you are 65
        and
        > get the shove? And are then a too old and too unfit for all the
        good
        > walks?
        > Priorities!
        > </endsermon>
        >
        > OOP for the next 5 days. :-)
        >
        > Cheers
        > Roger caffin

        OK Rodger

        Dont give CB any encourgment. Whe have already decided he will work
        till he has one foot in the grave. He tried those same arguments on
        me.

        Mrs Coy Boy
      • llenrocnave
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 2, 2003
          See, with me, I'm still in middle school and I don't do anything,
          hardly on the weekends, so I can go on weekend trips with my dad
          almost every weekend and I can go to state parks, and almost anywhere
          I want.
        • Fuzzy
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 2, 2003
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "llenrocnave"
            <llenrocnave@b...> wrote:
            > See, with me, I'm still in middle school and I don't do anything,
            > hardly on the weekends, so I can go on weekend trips with my dad
            > almost every weekend and I can go to state parks, and almost
            anywhere
            > I want.

            To Shane, Stephanie, etc.,

            This kid's got test fever something bad. I have a feeling you're
            gonna get more apps from him than you do from me, which means lots
            (right?), but it will at least give him some practice.

            To Evan,

            Enthusiasm is good... just be careful not to go overboard. I think
            it is fabulous that someone your age is so interested in the
            outdoors, but you've gotta be careful about hounding the group to
            test items that may not be available at all. As we like to say
            around here (it's been said to me, believe me), "Patience,
            Grasshopper" You will get your chance to test. When you do, work
            with your monitor, write good reports, and polish up your application
            skills - your chances wil come. Trust me.

            Fuzzy
          • Andy Mytys
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 2, 2003
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <ckime@n...> wrote:

              > To Evan,
              >
              > Enthusiasm is good... just be careful not to go overboard. I think
              > it is fabulous that someone your age is so interested in the
              > outdoors, but you've gotta be careful about hounding the group to
              > test items that may not be available at all. As we like to say
              > around here (it's been said to me, believe me), "Patience,
              > Grasshopper" You will get your chance to test. When you do, work
              > with your monitor, write good reports, and polish up your
              > application skills - your chances wil come. Trust me.

              Right - absolutely nothing wrong with enthusiasm. That said, looking
              at the BGT.org site, I see only one review from Evan - the Gregory
              Shasta backpack.

              Someone's getting WAY ahead of themselves here.

              First, there needs to be two owner reviews on record. That's the
              minimum needed to participate in "official" tests. Now, something
              like a sleeping bag or tent is what's considered a "high ticket"
              item. They go to people who have proven themselves though Owner
              Reviews, group participation, and a rock solid track record of other,
              official, reviews.

              So, after you get your two ORs in, you then need to get at least one
              official test under your belt before you have a prayer at a "high
              ticket" item.

              That means you're at least 8 months away from being eligable. 6-
              months of testing, plus a 2 month padding (MINIMUM) for that first
              test to even begin (getting your second review in, seeing a test
              call, applying for the test, being selected, receiving the product).

              In this eight month period, if you think you can simply finish that
              one test and have your next test be a high-ticket item, that's also a
              LONG SHOT. You should be continuing to bulk up your credentials
              during the probation period of your first official test by publishing
              MORE Owner Reviews.

              If you are applying and applying, but just not getting selected for
              that first official test, by all means keep those Owner Reviews
              coming. They do nothing but help your position!!!

              I've been around for almost three years (Dec will be my
              anniversary... start shopping :) and consider myself a successful BGT
              participant. I still crank out the Owner Reviews, and continuously
              have something in the works on my PC in addition to my official BGT
              committments.

              You can test just about anything you take into the woods with you.
              It doesn't have to be EXPENSIVE. So, if you're lacking in ideas
              think about items like a multi-tool, cup, bowl, pot, matches,
              lighter, clothes, water bottle, sunscreen, soap, bandana, bandaids
              (how well does your favorite stick when wet... when used over days
              straight?)... you get the idea.

              Patience is indeed key here! However, it still takes some work on
              your part to use that key and unlock the door.

              As you can see, if you want to get in on a sleeping bag test, it's
              time to get cracking. There will be a lot of competition from other
              testers... testers that have been around a long time and have a long
              list of published work here. You too can join these ranks, but you
              have to plan well in advance and be prepared for when that test call
              eventually hits.

              Make no mistake - you are in competition with your fellow testers.

              In that respect, you can look at all of this as a game of chess...
              but one where you start out with no pieces. It's kind of hard to
              play without any pieces, let alone do well. So, you need to get
              cracking and get some pieces. The first and second owner reports get
              you a King. Great - you can move in any direction you want, but
              often you can't move at all because, with only two ORs going up
              against all your opponents (the other test applicants) pieces, you're
              vulnerable. Any move against an opponent with just a few pieces will
              result in check and mate!

              At this lowly stage, you yourself can declare checkmate (get
              selected) with just a king, to be sure, but you have to select your
              opponents carefully. Look for the tests will few applicants, where a
              high percentage of those applicants are newbies like you. King -vs-
              King is better than King -vs- King, rook, and bishop, with four pawns
              on the side.

              Each official test you get in on AND COMPLETE is an upper level
              piece - rook, knight, bishop... a high-level test (tent/sleeping bag)
              is a queen.

              Each OR that you publish is a pawn.

              How many chess pieces will you need to aquire before you are ready to
              play the BGT game effectively, playing against old-time testers who
              have a large number of pieces?

              Think about it...
            • David Anderson
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 2, 2003
                At 06:43 PM 9/2/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <ckime@n...> wrote:
                > >
                > > To Evan,
                > >
                > > Enthusiasm is good... just be careful not to go overboard. I think
                > > it is fabulous that someone your age is so interested in the
                > > outdoors, but you've gotta be careful about hounding the group to
                > > test items that may not be available at all. As we like to say
                > > around here (it's been said to me, believe me), "Patience,
                > > Grasshopper" You will get your chance to test. When you do, work
                > > with your monitor, write good reports, and polish up your
                > > application skills - your chances wil come. Trust me.
                > >

                >Right - absolutely nothing wrong with enthusiasm. That said, looking
                >at the BGT.org site, I see only one review from Evan - the Gregory
                >Shasta backpack.
                >
                >Someone's getting WAY ahead of themselves here.

                Not really. Evan has two, check the therm-a-rest ultralite.

                The search index only updates once a week, and sometimes the update process
                dies for various reasons, and it looks like it died on sunday. So it is not
                uncommon for it to end up 2 weeks out of date.

                --
                David Anderson
                Moderator
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 2, 2003
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, David Anderson >

                  > Not really. Evan has two, check the therm-a-rest ultralite.
                  >
                  > The search index only updates once a week, and sometimes the update
                  > process dies for various reasons, and it looks like it died on
                  > sunday. So it is not uncommon for it to end up 2 weeks out of date.

                  Well... that would explain things then. Thanks.

                  Is the frequency of DB updates regulated by us or our service
                  provider? Is there any incremental costs for daily updates? How
                  long does a DB update take?

                  As for Evan... he's got a king then. Let the games begin! :)
                • David Anderson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 2, 2003
                    At 07:01 PM 9/2/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                    >Is the frequency of DB updates regulated by us or our service
                    >provider?

                    Both. I set the frequency, but since we are on a shared host, the best way
                    to get booted is to be a system resource hog.

                    >Is there any incremental costs for daily updates?

                    Only if we get booted.

                    >How
                    >long does a DB update take?

                    The last time I ran one manually it took around 18 minutes and it greatly
                    increased the amount of time it took the web server to serve up pages.

                    If we were on our own server, there would be no problem. But we are not,
                    and we need to be a good neighbor. In this case I run a cron job to di the
                    update early Sunday morning.

                    The truth is that once a week, or even once a month is often enough for
                    99.99% of the cases. The only people that ever notice otherwise are the
                    producers of the data that is not in the index. Before Google introduced
                    freshbot, it would take 3-8 weeks or more for your web pages to make it in
                    to Google, and Google made it to the top of the search engine ladder with
                    such old data. The reason is that most data doesn't change that fast. Daily
                    updates for the 0-5 uploaded reviews is just a waste of processor cycles.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 2, 2003
                      <danderson@b...> wrote:

                      > Not really. Evan has two, check the therm-a-rest ultralite.

                      OK. It needs to be redone.

                      There are two links at the bottom of the document, both pointing to
                      accessories for the Therm-A-Rest on the CD website.

                      We allow only top-level links at BGT!

                      While Evan's got the hood open, I've got a few comments:

                      "Sleeping on the Ultralite during this time, I got hot during the
                      night, but I assume that was because I was using a twenty-five degree
                      Fahrenheit (-3.8 degree Celsius) sleeping bag."

                      I don't see how this statement adds any value to the report. If
                      anything, it's an unresolved question that needs further analysis.
                      I'd leave it out.

                      "I have used the Ultralite a few times in the winter, and it kept me
                      warm and comfortable"

                      OK... I have to ask. What's "Winter"? There's not reference to
                      temperature, nor is it stated if this was used on snow or not. I see
                      you're in Ohio. If the "winter" described here were conditions along
                      the Kentucky border, that would translate to "Fall" for me. You can
                      see why it's important to have solid information as to the field
                      conditions that are present with any statement you make. "Winter" in
                      this case is good only as a calendar time reference... it gives me no
                      idea of conditions.

                      I'm not trying to pick on you here, just trying to iron out the
                      wrinkles in your report. Hopefully, this will be a learning
                      experience and your future reports will be filled with relavent data
                      to give the reader an idea of your actual field experiences.

                      Solid reports in turn give you better odds at getting selected as a
                      tester.

                      Looking at your first two submissions, I'm certainly excited to have
                      you on board. Your work is definitely in the right direction - it
                      just needs a bit of polishing.
                    • Andy Mytys
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 2, 2003
                        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mytys" <amytys@h...>
                        wrote:

                        > Manufacturers Website: http://www.thermarest.com

                        hmmm... this one's interesting too.

                        Although the Survival Guide doesn't mention it, I feel that all our
                        text representations of links should reflect what actually comes out,
                        not an alias.

                        Yes, www.thermarest.com does work. However, the resulting address is
                        actually "http://www.cascadedesigns.com/thermarest".

                        IMO, that's what should be listed in the report. You never know what
                        a manufacturer will do with their other aliases.

                        What do the other "Net Weenies" around here think of this issue?

                        Moving the BGTWeb!
                      • AsABat
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 2, 2003
                          > Yes, www.thermarest.com does work. However, the resulting address
                          is
                          > actually "http://www.cascadedesigns.com/thermarest".
                          >
                          > IMO, that's what should be listed in the report. You never know
                          what a manufacturer will do with their other aliases.

                          > What do the other "Net Weenies" around here think of this issue?

                          I think a little leeway might be needed. For example, Black Diamond
                          has www.blackdiamondequipment.com and www.bdel.com . Their contact
                          page shows email addresses with bdel.com but I've seen the longer URL
                          on other documents. Second, anyone with a domain really needs to keep
                          their addresses FOREVER or they'll become a sleaze site the day after
                          the registration expires. Most businesses understand this and want to
                          protect their trademarks.

                          Bill
                        • Shane Steinkamp
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 2, 2003
                            > Actually, Michael Wheiler took the place of Andrew when
                            > Andrew went on his long term OOP.

                            Thank you, ma'am. So noted.

                            Shane
                            Acting List Moderator