Re: EDIT: Will's TARPTENT SQUALL FIELD TEST REPORT

  • Tom Jones
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      Two other little things:

      > Wind and wind-driven rain coming in the front of the tent deserve a
      special mention. Normally I tried to locate the tent so the rear was
      in the anticipated direction of wind or rain. If I guessed right, the
      Tarptent easily handled the wind and rain. If I guessed wrong and the
      wind or wind plus rain came from the front, it was less comfortable
      because the tent tended to inflate like a sail. The defense was to
      lower the front of the Tarptent to 42 in (106.7 cm) and re-stake the
      front three guylines to make the tent taught, have the front beak
      down, zip the mesh front door closed, and place boots or rocks on the
      bottom of the front mesh door to hold it down away from the tent
      floor.

      EDIT==> "taut"

      > > DISCUSSION
      > > A. The Tarptent Compared to a Conventional Tarp-Compared to a
      > conventional tarp, the Tarptent is faster and easier to set up, can
      > be set up anywhere, and provides better bug and wind protection. In
      > addition my gear is less likely to blow out of the Tarptent while I
      > am away, and critters are less likely to get in.
      >
      > **There should be a comma after addition, "In addition, my gear..."
      >
      > I really like the simplicity and versatility. However those
      features
      > come with the cost of carrying extra weight.
      >
      > **There should be a comma after however, "However, those..."
      >
      > The Tarptent Squall weighs 17oz (.48 kg) more than my one-person
      tarp
      > and 12 oz (.34 kg) more than our two-person tarp.

      EDIT==> need space between 17 and oz.

      Tom