Application Europa 2 Shelter by Six Moons

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2003
      Application for Six Moon Designs Europa 2 Shelter
      Please accept my application to test the Europa 2 Shelter by Six Moons
      Design. I have read the requirements in the BGT survival Guide Ch 5
      (v. 1202)on 29 Aug 03, and will comply with the all report

      Name: Brian Tannehill
      Age: 28
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 7" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 175 lbs (79 kg)
      Email address: bj@...
      City, State, Country: Lompoc, Ca, 93437
      Date: 15 Aug 2003
      Backpacking Background:
      I am fairly new to backpacking, but I have hunted/fished all my life
      in East Texas, and started camping/hunting/fly fishing the last 3
      years in Colorado. The majority of the hunting in Colorado was done
      from a well established basecamp, venturing out from there for the
      day. Because of the young kids I have (2, 8, 10), I mostly do weekend
      overnight camping trips, or day hikes Geocaching any where along the
      central coast. I am also an avid Mountain Biker. My 2 oldest boys are
      getting to the point where they can come out more hiking and camping
      with me, and I am looking forward to this in the future. I now live in
      the Central Coast area of California (Lompoc, Santa Maria area), and
      am surrounded by many different areas from beaches to mountain regions
      ranging up to 5000 feet (1500 m), with the temperatures averaging
      about 60 F (16 C) degrees year round.

      Field Locations:

      The locations of my test will be varied from the beaches located in
      Central California, (Lompoc, Santa Maria area) to the National Forest
      just east of here ranging up to 5000 feet (1500m). The middle of
      September is when it is supposed to be the hottest here probably
      staying in the range of 70 – 80 F (20 - 27 C) on a good day. Into
      November and December it turns back into about 50 – 60 degrees F
      (10 - 16C). On most days it is usually foggy or a marine layer during
      the early morning and late evening, and ALWAYS windy.

      Test Plan:

      I will initially test the shelter in my backyard, checking quality and
      craftsmanship of materials. This area does not receive a lot of rain,
      so I will test that aspect with the simulated rain shower (Water
      Sprinkler). We do however have a heavy marine layer (Fog) that rolls
      in everyday, and coats everything with dew and moisture, which will
      thoroughly stress their advanced condensation management feature.

      I will test it for durability in the wind at the beach, because it is
      always windy there, enough so that on most days, you have to wear
      something warm to the beach. Wind speed varies anywhere from 7 –
      20 mph (11 – 32 kph)constant everyday. The web site says it can be
      set up in two minutes, but it will be interesting to see how it does
      in the strong wind.

      I currently carry a single man Eureka Gossamer tent, which is very
      packable and relatively light. However, I can not change clothes in it
      unless I lie down, and then it is very difficult. It does fit me, a
      dog and my gear. I would be interested in just how much room is inside
      the Europa 2. I would like to know if two people could truly fit in
      there without having to touch each other or becoming really good
      friends while sleeping.

      The weight is the biggest issue with this tent. Is it sturdy enough to
      stand up to very rough hiking/backpacking and still be light enough to
      carry for two people? The Gossamer weighs in at 46 oz (1304 grams) and
      is only a single person tent. I am also interested in how small it
      will pack down to. I am trying to go as light as possible with my
      gear, and get all my gear in a medium sized ALICE pack. Currently I
      have to strap my Gossamer to the outside, which in extreme
      bushwhacking cases this could tear the tent, and the stuff sack it is

      Previous reports

      Owner Review on Magellan Meridian GPS

      Owner Review on MSR Dragon Fly stove

      I have no completed test, nor any test in progress as this would be
      one of my first test.

      Thank you for considering me for this test.